5 albums you have to listen to in your lifetime.

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by CeR01, Feb 12, 2009.

1. agreed

2. In no particular order:

MGMT-Oracular Spectacular
    Flaming Lips-At War With the Mystics
    Sublime-40 oz to Freedom
    Lupe Fiasco-Food and Liquor
    2Pac- All Eyez On Me

3. #43 LiquidSwordsman, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
    1) Illmatic by NaS- If you wish to understand the essence of hip hop, both lyrically and production-wise, listen to this. The Sgt. Pepper of hip hop.

2) Straight Outta Compton by NWA- Probably the most influential music, not just rap, album of the past 25 years, it changed the culture of an entire nation. African medallions were out, black tims were in. It also launched the career of one of the greatest rappers, Ice Cube, and one of the greatest producers, Dr. Dre.

3) Ready To Die by Biggie- Brought the East Coast back to the center of attention after it had been getting crushed by the West Coast since the early 90s. Biggie's well timed flow made any word he said easy to fit into a rhyme and understand, and his story telling abilities gave us some chilling narations of life as a young impoverished black male living in the projects. Anyone who wishes to understand the psychology of the ghetto should listen to this album.

4) Master of Puppets by Metallica- The greatest metal record of all time, nuff said.

5) Enter The Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers by Wu-Tang Clan- Marked the begining of the reign of the single greatest, most influential and most imitated hip hop group of all time.

P.S. I mainly listen to hip hop, so this is all I really know about. Please don't bite my head off.

4. nice comparison. of course some flamers will be offended by such a statement because of some 'rap isnt music' bullshit but they can go fuck themeselves cuz they just dont understand

5. What do you think of my list?:)

6. illmatic is the dopest, right along with ready to die. straight out of compton is interesting. i know it changed shit, but....NWA wasnt musically as great as they were socially influential. never listened to master of puppets, but if anything like .....and justice for all then it must be good. as for 36 chambers is a solid choice also

i would go
    illmatic
    ready to die
    2000 bc by canibus
    dark side of the moon
    lateralus

7. #47 LiquidSwordsman, Feb 13, 2009

cannibus is skilled, but i cant really enjoy listening to him cuz of his voice.

pink floyd is awesome, no complaints there.

i never really got into tool so no comment...

Overall a good list tho.:)

8. #48 MagnusRune, Feb 13, 2009
    In no particular order and in my humble opinion.

Jay-Z - The Black Album (2003)
    I know it's not really accepted as one of his best works, but I think it shows a lot of insight into his career as a whole. Whether or not you like him, he's really the closest thing to a legend of his time. How many other artists can you name that have gone platinum 10 times in a row? Not saying commercial success always parallels talent, but it says something.

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)
    Raw hardcore hip hop at it's most intelligent and most revolutionary. Need I say more?

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    Just an all around very powerful album as a whole. Also incredible when high.

Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992)
    A true classic of it's time that took gansta rap into a whole new level. With one album, Dre told off all of his opposition, exploded the g-funk era, and is still relevant to this day.

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (1971)
    Amazing band altogether, this album particularly shows one of their best fusions of psychedelic rock, traditional r&b and true, raw funk. Also incredible when high.

9. I've always wanted to check out Funkadelic but never got the time. You think you could reccomened some tracks for me?

10. In no particular order and in my humble opinion.

Nas?

I never really got into public enemy. I dont know why. I didnt really dig their production, although strangly enough I loved it on Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted.

Agreed

Yes it is a classic. Agreed.

I really need to check them out.

11. I Bet You
    I Got a Thing, You Got a Thing, Everybody's Got a Thing
    Can You Get to That
    Maggot Brain
    Standing on the Verge of Getting it on
    Get Off Your Ass and Jam
    Let's Take it to the People
    One Nation Under a Groove

Those are a few highlights IMO

12. For the record I love Nas's work as well and if this had been a top 10, Illmatic would have definitely been in there.

13. I would just get/download Maggot Brain. It's amazing.

14. Listening to it right now.

All I can say is...wow...

15. :D Stoned or sober?

16. 36 chambers

cuban linx

illmatic

reasonable doubt

ready 2 die

17. #57 Gloom, Feb 13, 2009
    For some variety:

Paradise Lost - Gothic
    Christian Death - Only Theatre Of Pain
    Ulver - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
    Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte
    Novembers Doom - Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers

But, then there are dozens of other releases that could easily fit in there including a few bands that have entire discographies that deserve to be in there...

(And this rap is popular in this thread, i'll say that the only rap CD I have heard which I would consider including is "Royce Da 5'9" - Death Is Certain", never really been all that impressed with his other work, but that CD is great)

18. Good man.

19. Oh dear, it appears that we have a METAL HEAD here.
    I only know a couple of other people that smoke and listen to metal.

20. Oh dear indeed, though not all of it is metal. :p