5-6 gallon buckets

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by PAC814, Aug 3, 2009.

1. has anybody used 5gallon buckets,i have one and im planning on transplanting my 30incher into that bucket once i drill some holes into,i've heard that your yield will be alot bigger:hello:

2. yep 5 gallon buckets work great. now make sure u have good soil in there and plenty of sun.

3. Why do you think Home Depot sells so many Homer buckets :smoking:

5 gallons is about what you need for your plant to reach its maximum potential. One gallon per month of growth is the rule of thumb. 5 gallons=5months which is about how long it takes to veg and flower.

[​IMG]

4. If it wasn't so late in the season I would recommend going with a 15 gallon. It will definitely increase yield if the plant has time to grow some roots....

bigger container = bigger plant.

5. If 5 gallons definately big enough for autoflowering plants though?

6. You could go with 3 gallons on autoflowering strains since they only take 3 months to grow.

Figure out the total time in months and you'll know exactly how many gallons of soil you'll need. Like I said earlier you only need 1 gallon of soil per month it's going to be alive. That's straight from Jorge Cervantes growing DVD so if you don't believe me talk to him :smoking:

You can get bigger plants (indefinetly bigger) the more soil you use and the longer time you give a plant. But all you really need is 1 gallon per month of growth.

7. So would using a 5 over a 3 gallon pot have any benfits at all?

8. i think it has lots of benefits, its alot more room. the more room u give them then better imo

9. Not sure where you are, but if you aren't a medical grower... I'd be careful of fingerprints on buckets. Especially those you place outdoors and leave for a while.

10. haha that made me laugh, what is this csi?

11. I just transplanted an indoor plant 3 weeks in flower into a 10 gal bucket because the 5 gal bucket ran out of room, bigger rootball means bigger yield, but it might stall your growth a bit, so if you are in a place with early frost, 5 gal might be fine :)

12. I use 5 gallon buckets and have been for a while, they work great. You may have to water them a little more than if you just planted them in the ground, but i think they work great. Especially if there is a chance that you may have to move them later on in the season. I use a quarter inch drill bit or so to drill the holes in the bottom of the bucket also on some i drill holes in the side of the bucket at the bottom. You just have to make sure that you drill enough holes so it drains well, also i have found that it pays to put a saucer or something under the bucket so ants, termites and other pests cant go right up into the holes and ruin your plant. If you want to look at my thread(outdoor bucket growing) i have pics of my plants that are in 5 gallon buckets.
    Hope this helps