4x4x7 tent. Optimal LED setup for 6 plants?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DimaEVT, May 30, 2018.

1. Hey guys, right now i am running 4x W300 viparspectra leds in a 4x4x7 tent. I am growing 6 plants. 4 of them are 30 days from seed and the other 2 are 15 days from seed.

Each led draws about 135watts. 540w total. I am worried that this is not enough light. I am thinking of getting a 5th light, another viparspectra led, maybe a w450 or w600.

What do you guys think?

2. At 40w per sf. You would want 640 actual watts. So you arent too far off. If you wanted to go 50, your only 260 actual watts away.

3. And its nice too see someone concerned wether or not they have enough light. You have a lot of light compared to some. Better than those growing in a 4x4 with a couple cfls or only 1 small led and then they get pissy when you suggest more light.

4. Thanks for the info man. I'll probably go with the vipar 450 led. I think it draws about 220w

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hey DimaEVT
    maybe you want to look at this thread Tutorial for qb304 kit from Alibaba -> Canada posted yesterday by Sanez.

As well, I showed off a very nice light yesterday :
    "Imo, the only other thing I may add in the future is some uvb to augment trichome production and to ward away molds. I initially had asked Russel for such a board and he showed me this:
    [​IMG]

now this quantum board included the following (quote from Russel) this is our 512led with 365nm, 460nm, 660nm, 730nm". from alternative to HLG's quantom boards... the supplier!

@ After the shot
    I'm actually surprised you didn't recommend the quantum boards.

6. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Qbs. If he was asking which light to buy? I would have. The op is familiar with this brand of light and looking to add a like lamp to his setup.

7. @After the shot
    kk, I didn't know; I'm still pretty new.

I actually own a small viperspectra300 and found that it really augmented pigment production when I used it side by side an HPS; whether or not this increases all secondary metabolite production (ie. cannabinoids) remains unresolved...

Still though, I think that adding some variety in the available photospectra could yield some really positive results. I am not dissing Viperspectra by any means, but even I may combine some lighting just for kicks (like UVB as mentioned above).

good luck with your work DimaEVT

• Like Like x 1
  8. I like mixed spectrums as well. When I built my qb lamp, I used 4 3000k and 4 4000k

9. Are vipar 300s good for flowering? I'm seeing mixed info online and I'd upgrade to the 600 model if my yields will be cut short

10. I posted a grow using them to augment an HPS. I wasn't too impressed with the grow and wouldn't dare to only use one 300vipar to flower (well, maybe a small plant, idk, i dont do that). I posted it on Imgur and will not repost here, have a look if you like (make sure to close up on em to see the differences). I have to say though that there was a lot of purple in the 300vipar exposed plants, but not on the HPS ones. It could have been phenotypic differences between sisters.

11. Thanks for the replies guys but I am not looking to add QBs at this time.

I will now be running 3x Vipar 300s and 1x Vipar 600. This is about 670w total. For 5 (not 6) plants in a 4x4x7 space, is that enough to get a yield of ~5oz+ per plant? (vegging for 8 weeks).

12. send pics when yur up n running

13. Just so you know, you wont find any LED boards out today with added UVB, as uvb diodes cost hundreds of dollars to produce. UVB is in the 280nm to 310nm range. Your best bet would be to get a reptile bulb and hang it.
    365nm is in the UVA range, but very close to being blue.
    The technology for UV diodes isnt quite there yet to justify supplementing it in a LED panel. Just my 2cents.

14. ik Aolelon. Sometimes I browse the new diodes...

15. Just figured I'd mention it. Because u said uvb then linked a board with 365nm

16. I'm adding an Agromax 2' Pure UV bulb to my light fixture. Putting out 170umolw/cm2 at 24" in a 4x2. Adding this should be able to get me to ~250-300 umolw/cm2 which is the summer time uv levels

• Like Like x 1
  17. i did, but didn't mean to suggest uvb is there; its why i posted the bands.

the uvb is not the only band of interest. add some burples get purples... and as you pointed out, no uvb chips in there. So ... the other bandwidths are involved in increased secondary metabolism.

i'm kinda growin high test atm anyhow, so idk if adding anything is desirable. #1 good genetics.

what you been growing Aolelon?

I also recommend the extra UV via tube; but I am still watching those other LEDs.

18. Nothing amazing atm, I got a couple super lemon haze seeds while back and wanted to try them out, they turned out ok