4x4 tent 600w LED want more light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dZEUSb, Jan 25, 2017.

1. I currently have a tent with 4 plants vegging 2nd week under my VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series 600w LED. I want to get more light over these babies would it be wise to get a 2nd LED the same model?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Wow, it only uses 275w according to their sales page on amazon. This might be good for 1 plant. Personally, I'm all about even lighting and since this is a square light that likely services a 2x2 space, I think you'd want 4 in total. If you have 2 in there, you'll be servicing about a 4x2 space, if you had them spaced out but inline with each other in the middle of the tent.

If I were in your shoes I'd spend that $189 on a 600w HID and save that LED for a veg tent or sell it...or add it in there for supplementary lighting for one of the plants.

3. #3 dZEUSb, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    hm.. im open to some type of new lighting, I want my grow to be legit lol. 600w HID, this would put off much more heat as well though correct?

4. 30-40w per sq ft. will get you started. Once again, get you started.
    What are your tent measurements?

5. Nvm i see it.
    4×4 at 16sqft.
    You want at least 480 watts in that thing. You can grab another 275 actual and be ok. But just ok. Triple that if you want to play ball on the big court.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. #6 A guy, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    600w HID puts off more heat than your light, but that doesn't matter because your LED is much too weak for your tent. It's easy to manage that heat through ventilation. Just grab a $25 8" inline fan and stick it in one of your tent holes. My 600w HID puts off less heat than my 740w (actual draw) LED, which makes sense. If you want a legit grow, you need way more light and 600w HID isn't going to break the bank or cause you any real problems if you have a minimum amount of ventilation.

7. I was thinking about putting 2 VIPARSPECTRA Dimmable Series PAR450 450W LED Grow Light - 3 Dimmers 12-Band Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg/Bloom
    In my 4x4. Does anyone think that would be too much?

8. The 275 is only the wattage that the led draws from the wall. It's marketed as a 600 watt equivalent to a 600 watt actual draw hid. I see so many people saying that the wattage lights draw from the wall is all the plant gets and that's just plain wrong. Plants photosynthesize a par spectrum of light that is different than what your eyes can see. Wattage is only energy that is drawn from an outlet, the reason led is so popular is because with less of an electrical draw you can reach the same lumens (light the human can register) and an even better par spectrum (photons that the plant can use to grow). Do not go and buy an HID light when you're on the right track already. Buy a real horticulture led from a company such as fluence or top shelf, these companies have completely mastered led grows and are without a doubt the best you can purchase on the current market. check out NVCLOSETMEDGROWER on youtube and watch him use a top shelf brand light to grow the winner of the most recent Nevada Cannabis Cup. Also invest in a light meter so you can check the exact lux and lumen rate at each point of your tent and never have to wonder if you're getting enough light again. It's also very helpful to find the exact distance you want to be from your plants while still maintaining coverage over different grow areas.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 1