4x4 Grassroots Bed / HLG R Spec LED / Bodhi Seeds / Coots Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CatsLoveAcid, Sep 11, 2021.

1. I’ll try to organize this and update it so it’s easy to read, and not just a ton of talking you have to sift through.

4x4 Grassroots Bed W/ Blumats

HLG Scorpion R
    SpecHLG Scorpion Rspec

1/3 Coast of Maine Lobster Compost
    1/3 Perlite
    1/3 Sphagnum Peat moss
    Also about 1/2 Cubic Foot of lava rock

Kelp
    Ahimsa Neem
    Oyster Shell Powder
    Gypsum
    Crustacean Meal
    WHOLE Malted Barley Powder
    Basalt Rock Dust

Bodhi Seeds https://www.greatlakesgenetics.com/breeders/?swoof=1&product_cat=bodhi-seeds
    Phone Home
    Sky Lotus
    Unicorn Milk

The plants were started in solo cups > 2-3 gallon pots > 4x4 bed

I had my first spider mite issue, which was caught late as I was being lazy. I started using Spinosad and Ahimsa neem oil (not at the same time,) along with vacuuming the bad parts.. It seems to have been working well. I also used Dr Bronners to emulsify, which actually DIDNT work as well as when I used Protekt. I use Aloe for foliar as well, I used BuilaSoils but will be making my own from now on. Also used BioAg Fulpower once for foliar.

I used mycos for the transplant, let the plants recover for a few days and then added a smaller amount of BuildASoils 12 seed cover crop along with a 1 cup neem cake topdress… just because. So far have watered in coconut water, aloe, BioAg Fulpower.

-I’m putting up my HLG LED tonight
    -Getting ready to flip to flower, so am defoliating slowly.
    -Will track my foliar/topdressing/what I water in
    -Adding worms soon, just wanted them to gain numbers in my bin.

Temps are normally 74 F or so, RH is usually around 65%. I’m always open for suggestions, don’t be afraid to tell it how it is.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I’m thinking of doing a similar setup in the future so I’ll sub along for the ride

• Like Like x 2
  3. Right on man, what are your plans for the grow? I’m going to take some pictures of me making aloe.. Going to make some aloe powder i’m thinking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hung up my new light. It has to be centered, but I wanted to put it up today. Flipped to flower tonight too.

Any clue what that clawing is on the one plant? They’re not as healthy as they should be, due to prior spider mite issue.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. The most crucial part is to transplant into the bed before it gets rootbound. Once a plant requires water daily it needs to go in the bed. Anything less than 3g for veg can cause issues if you need to sex before transplanting. Don’t blast em with light those first few days. Transplant is an excellent time to use a kelp/aloe tea. Purpling stems can indicate you should transplant earlier too. To distinguish it from just genetics watch if it disappears on new growth like this pic. I kinda let this happen on purpose to keep the plant smaller.
    2BBDCEEB-8864-4898-BBFE-BF9573CCE671.jpeg

I think you’ll want a layer or two of trellis in there as well. Might want to raise the light some. If a fan is blasting that plant that could be the issue too.
    RD

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Nice setup.

-you say you keep the worms in the wormbin to multiply, I was under the impression that they detect how many there are of them and die out if they are too many. That may vary from species to species..

-i think you will gain greatly from it if you throw up some pool liner or white material/reflective material on your walls.

I have yet to try a bed but it looks good, I see you have good access to 3 or maybe all 4 sides as well, that is very handy when dealing with a bed. Your light looks badass

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. What is your aloe/kelp tea recipe? Been struggling finding solid recipes for teas.

I actually have a small desk fan that lightly blows in the plants, thought it was actually too light of a breeze.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You’re right about the worms i’m pretty sure, I think I can get a lot more works before they start dying themselves out. Good call ok the reflective I totally forgot. I have a 3 year old and she keeps my mind buzzing ha! I really appreciate it, I spent a lot of money getting this together. I’m not some rich guy so 900$ on a light was a big purchase, i’m sure it’ll pay for itself. It’s a quality light.

You should make a grow journal, i’d love to watch. Any other suggestions

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nice Nice! Maybe one day i will do. I have found the growing part of this forum to be a bit clique so I dont feel like doing it ..yet :)

900 dollars is alot yes. I ordered three 240w chinaled and they work fine for my 4x4.

Is the wormbin outside or inside the house? I have been looking around for a wormbin here but its not a common thing around here..

• Like Like x 2
  10. I feel you. My tribe is in the notill revisited thread, FYI. It’s actually in my grow room 10 feet from my plants. Maby not the best idea.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 1tbs per gallon of kelp. Aloe just really depends, but it’s hard to overdo. If you get foam right away your good. Use a blade the size of a cigar, 4 oz liquid aloe, 1tsp 200x, or 1tbs regular aloe powder per gallon.

Kelp = cytokinins

aloe = salicylic acid and saponins

The timing of the transplant is far more important though man.
    RD

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. As of yesterday. Going to start spraying aloe more often while I still can. Cover crop and worms are in, now just need to add mulch… havnt got to it yet.

QUESTION. I had to move the whole bed some, and saw roots growing out the bottom of the bed… What the hell?

Attached Files:

13. Update on the plants. Mixed up some fresh aloe, with a very light amount of kelp meal and foliar sprayed them.

3rd or 4th day in flower. Temps are around 80 and about 65%RH for now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. All I use for a worm bin is 10 gallon Rubbermaid tubs. The bottom one is empty with no holes. The second bin gets holes drilled and placed inside the first bin. Add scraps, worms, and bedding (compost). Then when you fill that bin get a 3rd bin and drill holes and start stacking.

Harvest lower bins for fresh VC/EWC while you add fresh scraps to the upper bins. The worms will mostly migrate towards the upper bins with fresh food so you don't have to sift. Only use a lid for the very top bin.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Are you willing to take a photo of this ? I have seen similar before but nothing in my country

• Like Like x 1
  16. Would it work well with a tap at the bottom of Said bin?

When I read your post a second time I could imagine it better:) all bins same size?

17. The one plant stretched a bunch overnight it seems, close to the light. Day 6 or 7 of flower. I’m excited to see how these turn out, and what phenols I get it.

I noticed there are a couple branches I’d like to trim, low on the plant.. can I clone those?

Attached Files:

18. I say yes, you can clone these lower branches. If they are quite long then I am not sure if you can. I think they should not be too thick and woody?

19. One of the four in my bed ended up being a male, so I cut it at the base. I have some potted plants i’d like to put in it’s place, is that an issue? In my bed I have the soil, minor cover crop, a topdress with coast of maine compost, and then straw. If I didn’t put the pots there, i’d just plant a solid cover crop in its place. Thoughts?

Lastly, I’m not the most confident with defoliating. Granted these plants didn’t get the best training, ontop of a former spider mite issue… Here’s two pics of the lower part of two plants. Suggestions?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Things are looking great, I think so atleast. Randomly looked under my mulch and saw a few worms, I want to add more from my worm bin but didn’t want to slow the reproduction cycle of my worms…. but it sounds like it’s more so how much food the worms have that dictates their population?

What do you guys think of my grow? Next time it’ll be much better.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3