4'x4' coco bed grow

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by n0b0dy!sh0m3, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Wow never noticed that, but now that you mention it, when i got the kk it was either October or November, it was a pretty baller promo, I bought like 3 seeds and ended up with 10 strains. Damn I dont even need any beans but now youve got my wheels turning hahaha

2. Ive pictured this and planned it for weeks, but only today when I started mixing coco, did I realize how epic this is about to be. Two 5kg blocks and a 4cuft bag of perlite. Ive got another 4cuft bag of perlite coming, I plan on having a layer on top to help with reflectivity and as a fungus gnat deterrent. I was trying to decide on 4 plants or 8, Ive installed the water system with the intentions of 8. Hopefully I can get everything tightened up and have the girls in place by the end of the weekend. Ive never worked as hard in my garden as I did today trying to mix up that much medium inside by hand in the raised bed. The US needs to stop bullshittin so I can do this work out in the back yard haha.

I have the eco185 pump and theres a total of 24 heads, but when I cut it on they didnt spray, just dripped insanely fast. I know I have a leak where my 1/2" black tubing (coming out of the pump) mates with the 1/2" pvc. Looks like a trip to the hardware store in the AM for some plumbing parts. I hope that fixes the pressure issue, weedpipe do you have any input on this? I may have to cut back on the number of sprayers until I can purchase a larger pump if getting the leaks fixed doesn't solve the problem.

Long day, time to roll one up and relax!

Attached Files:

3. #43 Weedpipe, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    you need more power, you can get a big pump and a pressure regulator and dial it it to
    your exact needs, wont cost to much more for you too to get a perfect spray but you
    will have to glue it all together if you havent already

heres an older 396 pushin 24 tips, did a bit better when it was new but still does ok
    025.jpg

4. yea, I think I'm going to rework the manifold without the pvc crosses, reduce a little of the overall length. Also cutting down to 16 sprayers, two per plant.

5. just keep tweekin it, im re-doin mine to make it better ... again :)

6. you think you need to make a cage out of chicken wire to put around your light, keep
    the leaves from gettin too close and all?

7. Im vegging them using the lantern lighting technique, at least I think that what it was called. 12hrs on-5.5hrs off- 1hr on-5.5 off repeat. I'll do that for two weeks and prune them back so that each plant will have 3 or 4 main tops. A week or two earlier I cut off the main top several inches down so all the sides are currently competing. To keep them from growing towards the light, I plan on using some hooks I have laying around anchored to the walls, I guess like a vertical lst.

I have the girls in place. The roots had started to wrap around. I used general hydro coco-tek, once I had it in place I flushed the best I could, I'm really hoping it doesn't cause me any issues (not the coco-tek, the not flushing as good as I would have liked). Right now the watering system is just 12 holes where the sprayer heads were supposed to go. I couldnt really get the coverage like I wanted, so a new pump is on the list. Right now I rely on the coco to just wick up the moisture, it seems to pretty work pretty good. With only the two large drains at the bottom of the bed, the water sort of floods the coco about 3-4" from the bottom up while it slowly drains. Fed the girls with 10ml CNS17 grow and 5ml cal-mag+ per gallon. Dusted the holes with ZHO before hand. They left out my aquashield, wish I had it to help the roots get a kick start after transplant, hoping it comes early this week with the scrubber. Now the fun really begins, 10 weeks to jars of these pretty nugs!!

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      187.5 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      546.8 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      277.1 KB
      Views:
    • d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      579.1 KB
      Views:
  8. all right, lookin serious now, this is gonna be a great show, good luck man ... :smoke:

9. just a ? are you taking those pics of the new lights when they first come on? just wondering they don't look so bright.

10. hey just had to tell ya this last spring I payed my dues to the hydro gods, and got flooded. I had three ballasts running in 6" of water 2 600w and 1000w. the water was up over the plugs and the 600s were the old ones with the vents in them. and yes I'm still running them. but def wouldn't suggest trying it. now stuff is out of the room.

11. I ain't ever hear of this here lantern lighting. what redneck did u hear that from.lol

12. All the electronics are now mounted on the back wall on the "uphill" side of the bed, also Ill still be "handwatering".... sort of. I plan on mixing up the nutes as needed and manually plugging in my pump to feed/flood, so I shouldn't walk into a swimming pool ever. I cant exactly remember when i took them, I think the lights had been on so I wasnt working in the dark. Its probably my phone camera reacting to the direct light source, each picture comes out looking different depending on the angle and if theres more hps bulb or mh bulb in the shot.
    As far as the lantern technique, I read about it somewhere as a way to cut energy costs and the fact that in nature cannabis never recieves 18 hours of direct light. Ive ran random light schedules from 15/9 to 24/0 and basically as long as there isnt 12 of dark theyll constantly veg. Ill try to link to where I read it. You also cut back the hours during flower, 11/13 first 2 weeks, 10.5/13.5 the next two down to 9.5 the last two weeks of flower. The whole idea behind the vertical tube and bed was to try and replicate growing in the ground outdoors with a "sun" in the middle, I though it only made sense to try to pattern the light schedule the same. If the lantern technique fails then I guess it will just be flower time two weeks early ha. Right now day temps run around 73-74 and night is about 65.

13. Hey man, how's it going?, I pulled a plant out last night which took me down to running 20 nozzles. I still didn't get any leaks with the added pressure, and the spray pattern looked outstanding. Real easy calc on this one, 396 GPH divided by 20 nozzles equals roughly 20 GPH per nozzle.

a 396 might not be enough for ya, but the EcoPlus 633 will get 24 nozzles over 26 GPH and that should really give you a big spray pattern.

another option would be to add an additional small pump and run 2 pumps through your setup at the same time, just sayin

:smoke:

14. I may get another cheaper pump and run them inline.
    I think I have a sulfur deficiency. I have to get some distilled water so I can check the ph of the coco before I do anything to crazy. I did up the nutes to 15ml grow and 5ml calmag per gallon. After I figure out the ph of the coco, I may add some epsom salts to the next flood. Also just realized the liquid karma can be used in veg, but Ill wait until I figure out this deficiency/ lockout before I add that. Since its kelp seaweed derived, and seaweed has a lot of trace nutrients and other goodies, could that help?

Attached Files:

15. edit: app double post

16. Girls size has snuck up on me, in place and day 8 of veg, pictured with 13" tall spray bottle. Ive been trimming out under growth and have each plant down to 3-4 tops. Flip is scheduled for this coming Sunday. In scheming on a square cage like you had mentioned weedpipe. Depending on how it installs, I may delay flowering until I like how she fills in.

Attached Files:

17. do you leave that cool tube reflector on there all the time? u should remove it to get the light going 360* instead of just 180*.

you babies are looking good by the way

18. Nah its just there for the pictures, the light is intense to look at.

19. Your plants are looking great, nice and uniform :smoke:

20. [quote name='"Weedpipe"']Your plants are looking great, nice and uniform :smoke:[/quote]

Yea mad training/manipulation/pruning. I really do abuse the girls, I like strains that can handle it, space is a premium and I cant be wasting it on a finicky bitch. Ive never had a problem with the pineapple, Ive supercropped and hacked on her and flipped the same day, shes always handled the stress like a trooper.