4'x4' coco bed grow

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by n0b0dy!sh0m3, Oct 12, 2011.

1. What up GC. Ive been lurking and learning a lot the last 2 years, and figured I would log my next big idea and get my first grow journal going. The old lady probably gets tired of hearing me talk about the garden, so what better place to talk about my hobby.

I'm planning a 4' x 4' raised coco bed. The plan is a 3 plant x 3 plant grid with the center plant excluded for a dual bulb 400+600 vertical cool tube, 8 for those keeping count;). I'm building this in a 4' x 6' room, with two 2' swing open doors on one 4' end and a 2' access door on the opposite end of the 6' wall. The hope is this will let me reach all the plants once they're placed in the bed. I'm going to be using the Botanicare CNS17 coco line, after a very positive experience with the CNS hydro line; with Cal-mag+, Clearex and possibly the ZHO for transplant. Strain will be G13 Pineapple Express, and I'll be watering with a modified http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/844686-weedpipes-ez-watering-system.html

Here are pics of the ladies, flowering clones taken around the end of September, in 50/50 coco/perlite. First pic was 3 days ago, 2nd pic was tonight. First experience with coco, but I'm impressed with the growth rate. Ill post a pic or two of my roughed in room in the next few days.
    I'm excessively paranoid with my smartphone, and I'm pretty sure the pics don't have any geotagging, but if anyone happens to note that I'm wrong, a heads up would be awesome.

Didn't want to put this in the general grow journal area, figured Id be better off in the coco forum with the coco heads being my first run, mods please move if necessary.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      513.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      364 KB
      Views:
  2. oh man, those look really good. im scribed and ready to enjoy the show.

i did the same thing, wanted to be dam sure tothehead and thesage seen my grow if shit went sour, but the coco has performed remarkably well with no serious issues.

3. your little ladies look good from what i can tell. you'll like the growth rate of those flowering clones, once they get back to veg they really start to explode. sounds like your set on nutes. you chose a good line.definitely get yourself some hydroplex though, it'll do ya right. we'll all be around if you need any help. welcome to the world of Coco:wave:

4. Here's the roughed in room. Double doors will be on the front side, back access door far left under the duct work. Right now I've only got the one door installed. I'm in the middle of the construction right now, and had a plant that has about 3 weeks left so I threw this up to finish her, but had to get out of the POS tent i have abused the hell out of. When shes closer to chop, I'll slide her to the side and begin the raised bed with vertical cool tube construction phase of this little project.

First pic is the room, next two are of the genetics Im running, she was a super cropped/scrogged beast, pulled around 6 ounces off of her after a 3 week veg and 52 days in a bubble bucket. I plan on letting the coco bed go a full 8 weeks (56) minimum and checking the trichs. It's a habit I dropped a long time ago but figured with the time, effort, and money I'm investing I probably should take the time and do it all proper.

Flowering clones are straight baller status in my book. I took these around week 3 of flower, within a week they had nubs, hit them with the super thrive and a touch of the CNS grow (like the aquashield over the grow, but I was out at the time) and the roots took off. They're about 3 weeks from the day I took them.

I had planned on trying to go with the basic grow-bloom-ripe with the needed cal-mag and clearex for flush. I have to get more aquashield for my cloning needs and had considered actually using it on these during a weekly basis instead of just on the fresh clones. I've never gotten much into the whole microbes and mycorrhizae. That being said, botanicare has impressed me more than any other nute line so much that I'm actually willing to spend the $26 for the ZHO root inoculant, I want this harvest to be my biggest yet. If you guys swear by it, I may opt out of the bloom altogether (and roll with just the ripe) and spend the money on hydroplex and some of the other additives.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      206.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      249.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      498.5 KB
      Views:

5. What is hydroplex.
    Im caught using Canna and it is very expensive.
    Cant complain otherwise. Autoflowers solid on 40th day.

6. Im caught in the expensive Canna Coco line though I cant complain. I have 3 Barneys Farm Little Cheese autos and they are doing very well. Thank you.

Id love to find a cheaper line for the next grow.

I know nothing of Botanicare or CNS. Why turn to Botanicare if you were pleased with th CNS line?
    :smoke:

7. The room looks good, clones healthy.

8. POS around my parts is short for piece of shit hahaha, don't get me wrong tents serve their purpose but if you plan on doing anything long term a legit room is the way to go.

As far as nutes, everything mentioned is made by Botanicare, CNS17 is their Commercial Nutrient System line of nutes. Grow-Bloom-Ripe are the base, aquashield, cal-mag+, hydroplex are all additives. The cns comes in a hydro formula (which I have used previously and loved) and a coco/soil formula. I got pretty good results with just the base and cal-mag, so Im interested to see how the girls do with a couple of additives.

As far as the microbes, I understand the basic concept of them, but have never felt the need to spend extra money for voodoo in a bottle. After what I've put plants through and brought back to life for cloning purposes or flowering with basic nutes/supplies, Im under the impression that you literally have to try to kill a cannabis plant.

9. scribbd. im interested to see how it turns out. I just started my first grow, and its in coco. got a few afghan seeds sprouted and some bob marley sativa strains. id love to get your input as its your first coco grow, and my first all together. look forward to future updates. best of luck

10. I'd grab some Epsom Salt too. Makes it possible to fine tune the Ca/Mg ratio.

11. Sativas are awesome, but the lengthy flower time plus the ridiculous height makes them beastly to deal with indoors. Saw you mention the lst in your log, I definitely recommend it especially if you're going to be using t5/cfls. I once transplanted a 3' tall two gallon grow bag kandy kush on an angle in a 5 gallon bucket under a screen with a t5 slammed and it produced some pretty bud.

Lay Low, already have a bag of the epsom from previous soil grows, hell I've got a blueberry x pineapple mom in dirt that I just dosed this morning haha.

Here's a pic I just took this morning after doing my weekly garden clean up. In the process of heading into coco for everything, I love this stuff. Hopefully I'll be getting the bed installed sometime in the next week. Still aiming for the veritcal tube, but depending on what the fundage situation looks like, I may have to rock standard horizontal this run.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      338.6 KB
      Views:
  12. #12 n0b0dy!sh0m3, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Pic updates, still growing like weeds. Tips showing signs of nute burn, and some purpling starting to show. Flushed and fed 12.5ml grow, 5ml cal-mag, 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon. Using up the last bit of the hydro cns17, placing a greners order in the very near future.

Attached Files:

13. So my final nute order (I think):
    2.5gal CNS17 coco Grow
    2.5gal CNS17 Ripe
    1 gal Cal-mag Plus
    2 qts Hydroplex
    1 qt Clearex
    4oz. ZHO

I plan on using the clearex halfway through flower and again at the end of flower. The ZHO is for the initial transplant, and I plan on using the hydroplex but not to the full manufacturers recommendations, maybe every couple of feedings. Feedback appreciated!!

14. get some liquid karma if you can swing it, i grew a side by side with and without the karma, the karma plants looked much better, so much so ill never go without it.

your plants look outstanding by the way, ur obviously a natural greenthumb

15. Thanks.

Its my impression that you literally have to try and kill it once it gets through the very delicate germination and seedling stage.(which I have barely survived).

Ever heard of bubbling your water to increase dissolved oxygen?

:smoke:

16. Thanks! Budget is real tight, say 1 qt hydroplex, 1 qt liquid karma? or would I get more bang going with the 2 qts of hydroplex? They're about the same price per qt.

Bubbling causes calcium and iron (maybe some others) to be dissipated from the water, so no air stones in the res. I do have a spare pump, and I should have some spare pvc to rig up one of weedpipes nutrient mixers to go in it.

Hoping to get everything on schedule to have a super happy new year.

17. Ahhhhhh, edges cupping, tips burnt, waxy dark green leaves, too much food! Time to flush, and no feed for a a couple 2 days. Hopefully theyll bounce back before the transplant into the bed. Raised the t5 and cut light back feom 24/0 to 18/6, think I may have gotten a little overzealous in my attempt to kick them back into veg.

18. thats alot of nutes, especially the 2.5gal of the coco grow.

i would suggest 1 gal of each to start, and 1 qt of the karma to see if you like it.

19. #19 n0b0dy!sh0m3, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    I based the size on several factors. I liked what I saw when I used the basic cns17 hydro nutes. Also I have a few mom plants in dirt that have never properly been fed with a good soil veg food, and if for some reason I decide not to run coco again, I can still use the nutes, Id like to grow at least one plant outside next year so worse case I can shelve it and break it out in the spring. I may have to use a little grow with the ripe during flower, since Im opting out of the coco bloom.

20. "hurricane" aftermath, when in doubt flush... Soon Ill figure out this GC app.

Attached Files: