4th week flowering, problem?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by hawkcg, Jan 27, 2013.

1. #1 hawkcg, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    400w HPS
    day--75-81 degree / 55% hum, night-- 61-70 degree, 55%-70%
    2x2x5
    Black Gold soil / Organicare nutrients bloom (@ 1/2 oz/gal)
    Liquid Karma--(@ 2 tbsp/gal watering 1ce every 5-7 days)
    3 lavender strains / 3 Big Blue strains

So, I have been caring for these ladies for two months now, and no problems until recent.

For the lavender strains, it seems like they have stopped growing, bud sites seem to be staying the same size. Then, today I woke up and found a couple of sites already retracting their pistals and turning orange/red, with (burnt) fan leaf tips? It is only two tops, out of ~16 that have started to do this, the rest are still white, long hairs. Also some leaves seem to be wilting and curling under.

The big blue strains don't even seem to be budding, just growing still, and putting out pistals. They weren't preflowering when I put them under the switch, and took around ~2 weeks to start showing sex. I am assuming they are taking so long to bud, because they were too immature at the switch? They are only making me worry because of the difference in maturity of them.

Additional:
    Pictures:
    (1), (3) Lavender, normal sites, some curling leaves
    (2) Lavender, retracting hairs
    (4) Big blue
    I know 5-7 days may seem like a long time in between waterings, but that is what they want. (soil takes that long to sufficiently dry) Also temps may raise upwards to 90, but only for ~hour at most. (usually until I wake up to regulate it) I have yet to have nutrient issues with neither the bloom or veg, using at the lower dose recommendation; until now, maybe. If you see holes in the leaves, that is from them pushing up through the screen and nipping themselves :(

Edit: Lavender strains are from clones, Big Blue are from Bagseed. And please all advice welcome, I have no problem pulling the Big blues, for better lavender yield, if it comes down to it.

Attached Files:

2. Anybody? Update, Since flowering, 2 of the Big blues shot up to 2.5 feet from ~1.5. and one has stayed roughly the same height. Still no buds on the Big blue

3. Sup dude,

One of the biggest reasons peoples plants do not flower right is because there could be a pin hole size light leak, did you check for that? The SMALLEST amount of light can screw things up big time. That would be my first move.

Second I would recommend that you try and get your temp fluctuations under control.
    Possibly 61 then to possibly 90 in the day, that's a possibility of 30 degrees of change in one day. That will stress the hell out of them. From my readings, I have gathered that you should try and keep the fluctuations around 10-15 degrees tops..

Third, I would try and do something about that heat. I say this because your first picture has leaves doing that "eagle claw" thing. Heat is good, but not too much of it.. try and keep it around 80-85, and if you can't stop it from going to 90, maybe consider the addition of CO2 to help your plants cope with the heat better, also something like protekt to get some added resilience.

I hope there was something in there that might help.

Goodluck.

4. #4 hawkcg, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    There is no light leaks anywhere, I tested by shutting myself in the closet, with the lights on outside.

So I am leaning towards the heat being the issues, keeping it above 69 at all times now.

Edit: I am basically keeping the closet door open at all times now during the daytime, and closed at night. Keeps the temps more stable, and waiting on a new fan as well. And am still curious about the few sites that seem to be maturing faster than the rest of the plant. The few sites that are, are not even close to the light, as others are and seem to be doing fine.

Also, I am mainly curious about the lavender strains, as for almost the end of the 4th week, they seem smaller than they should? It's been 4+ years since I grew last, and basing my judgement on the fact they haven't really grown much in ~2weeks. Healthy or not?

Looked in your grow journal just now, and seems almost parallel to your 1st month pics. I will test tonight for light leaks though

5. I shut myself into my closet as well to check for light leaks. I can't think of a better way.

Yeah don't worry what they look like too much (size wise) right now. Its still too early for you to notice any real buds. Mine showed up VERY suddenly from week 5 till finish. It tricked me pretty bad... but when they do go into that burst of flowering, just make sure you got enough nutes that the plant wants.

Another thing I want you to seriously consider is maybe water them every 4 days now. As they get bigger they will need more. In my grow I noticed by around week 4-5 they needed water every 3 days (plain), I only fed them once a week.

6. #6 hawkcg, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
    Checked last night, no light leaks. I also took one Big Blue plant out of the closet, if it grew any taller it would be touching the lights; I do not really have the room for it. Supposed to be Indica hydbrid, and am wondering if the two I grew are expressing sativa phenotype. I'd rather not yank it, but it will just herm if left outside the closet w/ regular household usage.

Also about the watering, I am going by soil dryness. Part of it is due to the high humidity of the house I am in.

Edit:: The "eagle claw" is diminishing. and, am still curious as to why the two sites on one plant have almost fully matured; whereas, the rest is still growing.

7. New fan came today, 400 CFM centrifugal with a controller. Only need the thing on ~20% and temps are staying steady at 75, with almost no noise. Still need to experiment with it; I am thinking I will not need it on during the night, while having two fans circulating air inside.