48÷2(9+3) = ????

Discussion in 'General' started by BlueMoonRocks, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This thread is either the fall of Humanity, or it's saving Grace. o_O;

2. 2 ,that is all

3. Yea, well I hear that 5/4 of people don't fully understand fractions!

4. This isn't hard people. You don't distribute the 2 to the parenthesis because there is a division sign to the left. You would break the equation down to
    (48/2)(9+3)=?
    (24)(12)=288

5. No dude, you're wrong. I already proved your math wrong countless times, and everyone elses math for that matter.

The answer is 288, get over it and accept that you are wrong. Multiplication and Division are interchangeable. Look up what interchangeable means, do the math again, and find the right answer. If you still can't get 288, enroll yourself in an algebra class, and ask the teacher for help. :wave:

6. This isn't hard people. You don't distribute the 2 to the parenthesis because there is a division sign to the left. You would break the equation down to
    (48/2)(9+3)=?
    (24)(12)=288

7. nope.

0.5x*(9+3)=2
    x*(9+3)=4
    12x=4
    x=1/3

I love how there was like 85 views and 84 replies. Such a simple thing can unite us all :)

8. In Canada "parenthesis" and "brackets" are used almost interchangeably (annoying eh?). Especially in elementary school were order of operations are taught.

9. HERE IS THE ANSWER!

HERE

10. the fuck you talkin about?

learn how to do basic math

you get 6x -2 = 0

so x = 1/3

do we need to walk you through this again?

11. Sorry man but you've really confused yourself with the divison sign, sadly. I've already posted algebra proving you wrong, and my scientific calculator too.

48 / 2(9+3)

= 48 / 24

Look man, i'm actually studying further mathematics at college so you need to sort out your algebra son!

Let x = 48

x / 2(9+3)

x/24 = 2

thus x = 48

Leaving thread. Anyone who disagrees needs to relearn maths.

Peace out :smoke:

12. cmon man, stoners should have great math. we always are calculating prices and shit.:smoke:

13. #114 paramite, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    I blame the division symbol lol

Isn't it if there aren't parenthesis around the (48/2) then it is implied that 48 is divided by 2(9+3) in its entirety?
    example: (48/2)*(9+3)=288 while 48/(2(9+3))=2
    ??? I was taught the second way. It all depends on how you write it all out... that's why I'm in college to be a doctor and not an engineer. I hate math, although I was always really good at it hahaha.

14. No, you have no idea what you're doing. And I'll be leaving too on that note, this thread is making stoners look really stupid.

Bye

15. Nope.

48/2(x+3) = 2
    48/(2x+6) = 2
    48 = 2(2x+6)
    48 = 4x + 12
    4x = 36
    x = 9

Question is ambiguous. :smoke:

Question is ambiguous, both answers are correct, never use a division sign.

48÷2(9+3) has TWO answers:

[​IMG]

16. I basically am retarded when it comes to math and even i know the answer.

WTF, seriously?

17. I already proved your math wrong above.

Here it is again if you didn't see it, I will start with the same equation you started, pay attention.

x/2(9+3)=2

can also be written as:

0.5x*(9+3)=2
    x*(9+3)=4
    12x=4
    x=1/3

Therefore x does not equal 48 and your proof is false. Good day sir.

18. You're wrong, though. Its 288. As others have said, division and multiplication are interchangeable, you do them from left to right. Simplifying the problem, as you did, to 48/24 is wrong, as you are not following the proper order of operations.

19. Why are you distributing the 2.....?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.