48÷2(9+3) = ????

Discussion in 'General' started by BlueMoonRocks, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I used PEMDAS and got 288 just fine!

2. Typed into my Casio Scientific calculator exactly as posted in the title.

288, go suck on your dad's dick.

Attached Files:

3. Lol im prty sure everyone whos posting is blazed outa their minds

4. Show me your theory for this, because it's clearly wrong.

5. 48/2(9+3)

People would have still gotten 2 even if I wrote it like that, it's just about it not being as simple as it first looks. :D

6. I wasn't taught that multiplication and division are interchangeable; that one does not have precedence over the other.

7. Well, this is a depressing thread. My head is starting to hurt, and it's not because this is a difficult question. It's because people in this thread can't do basic math and actually think the answer is 2.

8. Ah, that would do it then

9. #69 BA, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    They didn't teach you PEMDAS wrong you obviously just didn't pay attention. I haven't taken math for years and I still remember

Why has nobody just proved this using simple algebra

Let's take what we know here and just say that x=9

48/2(x+3) = 288

P

24(x+3) = 288

288/24 = 12

(x+3) = 12

12 - 3 = x

9 = x

suck it

if it was 2

48/2(x+3) = 2

24(x+3) = 2

2/24 = .083333.....

(x+3) = .083333

ehh...not even going to finish this one

EDIT: Looks like BMR beat me to it haha

10. That's the key to this entire equation. Whoever is saying 2 doesn't know that rule, and that's why they get their answer. Well now you guys know, so I'm pretty sure this thread can be closed right about now..

11. Who do i trust more at mathematics? Internet forum stoner, or my casio scientific calculator? Hmmm.

48 / 2(9+3)

= 48 / 24

= 2

Calculator + basic maths do not lie.

/thread

12. I did that above too BA142 :)

13. The public school system is some horseshit if people can't get this right. Come on, it's 288.

14. calculators are better to use then a internet stoner forum, if you can use it correctly.

your wrong. :)

15. PEMDAS. Multiplication and Division are interchangeable, it's whatever comes first left to right. Same for addition/subtraction.

But enough of this, DO SOME TRIG.

[​IMG]

16. Trust the stoner on this one. MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION ARE INTERCHANGEABLE. You work from left to right.

That means you do 48 / 2 first because it comes before the 2(12).

If you don't agree now, you should probably go back to school man.

17. *you're

All i'm saying is that its gone into my calc exactly as posted in the title and answer is 2.

Picture is posted above.

18. There are two ways to interpret the problem, and therefore two different answers. The problem with the interpretation is caused by the division symbol being a very badly thought out symbol. Simply using a line for division is a much simpler and more easily understood symbol.

48 = 48 = 2
    2(12) 24

If you interpret the division wrong you get the following

48(12) = 288

19. FUCK trig.
    for realllll

20. Be happy you outsmarted your calculator then brah. But for real, your calc doesn't take into account certain things and that's why it's giving you that answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.