48÷2(9+3) = ????

Discussion in 'General' started by BlueMoonRocks, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No. Only one side thinks the other is wrong, and one side KNOWS the other is wrong.

2. yeah it actually is 2 lmao o_O

3. well once u use division, even if there isnt a parenthesis, isnt it assumed everything else is in the denominator? which means its 2

4. 288 fo life.

edit: people saying 2, write out how you got it.

5. nope only equals 2. You must multiply the two side by side before dividing into the 48.
    for example 2x is one number not two but you still have to x before you can multiply them together.

So first you do 9 plus 3 which is 12. Then 2 times 12 which is 24. Then 48 divided by 24 which is 2.

holy shit you got a lot of responses just in the time it took me to type this

6. This is why you should never use a division sign!

7. look at the posts before you?

8. You wrote the same thing, your equations are the same but 2 different answers. Are you a wizard?

9. #29 BA, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    I got an equation for you

Bracket = Parenthesis

PEMDAS = BEDMAS

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

24(12)

= 288

You wouldn't read a sentence from right to left would you?

EDIT: The 12 is by itself in the parenthesis so why would you multiply 2 and 12 before dividing 48 in half?

10. PEMDAS.
    48÷2(9+3)
    Parentheses first, so (9+3) = 12

Exponents...none

Multiplication second, so 2x12=24

Division third, so 48/24=2

No addition or subtraction.

11. Those are not the same equations.

:rolleyes:

12. my head hurts

13. Those of you getting 288 are not following the order of operations. When it's written out like this 48÷2(9+3) = you have to multiply before you divide.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brackets are another word for parenthesis. For example 2[4(8+2)], they're the same thing. You work from the inside out, and multiplation/divison are interchangable, so you work from left to right in that case. Same thing with addition and subtraction.

Everyone who says 2 doesn't know math.

15. Wrong. Division and multiplication is the same order, you just do whichever one comes first from left to right.

You can re-write the equation like this:

(48/2)*(9+3)= 288

16. so the argument is:

multiplication or division first?

pemdas. shows multiplication first. (but i also remember it being mult or div..)

so does it go from left to right? or does mult always come first?

hmm...only a mathematician will tell

edit. can i change my answer? :eek:

17. Wrong, multiplication and division are interchangeable, and you work them from left to right.

18. holy fuck, i fuck felt the universe shift

19. #39 imadamnlegend, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    If you think its 288 you are a fucking idiot.

Brackets always come before anything else. Hence:

48/2(9+3)

=48/24

=2

There literally are no two ways about this. Doing A level maths right now.

20. Yes this is what i said. Look at it this way. 48/2 * 12 you would get 24 then multiply by 12. The left to right rule came about to remove the confusion of importance for multiplication and division and for addition and subtraction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.