420Madman's First Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 420Madman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. got a couple questions to figure out ur ph issue.

1. How heavy are you feeding (nutes)? you could have a salt build up in the soil causing you ph to increase. in which case, a good flush should take care of that.

2. Are you using ph down, or up, in you water? letting it sit, can cause it to drift back up.

hope that helps. let me know, gro bro. lol. peace.

2. No nutes whatsoever.

I am going with the advice that I shouldn't need to feed them for the first 3 weeks.

I am using the soil we talked about. It's straight from the bag and has never been used before.

I have PH up and down. I test the water first. I normally runs 7.8 to 8.0. I then adjust it with ph down until I reach 7.0. I give them the 7.0 adjusted water right then. Any excess water gets added back to the jug for next time.

3. ya, its just drifting back up as the ph down for lack of a better term, "wears off". but the chemicals are still in the water! its ok to add a little more down to get it where you want before watering them, i just wouldnt reuse it to much. more ph up/down, means more unwanted chemicals. try getting the water to the lower 6's, and do a little flush to bring the soil back to your desired range.

and sorry for not remembering, got a few journals i follow with 420 in the username, gets kinda confusing sometimes. ive been looking for that soil and i cant find it at my local stores. i may have to order it cuz i really want to try it.

4. Ok just so we are clear on my watering method.

I take the aged tap water from the jug and add it to a mason jar. I then to the PH test. Normally it's 7.8 to 8.0. I then add a drop or two of Safergro PH down. I use the masor jar because I like to shake the shit out of it to infuse oxygen and to mix the ph down with it very well. pH Down (Qt/Pt)
    A little goes a long way with this stuff. Once my desired 7.0 is reached then I give it to them immediately. I have been putting whatever was left over back into the jug but I think from now on I will just try and mix only what I need and discard the rest.

So my questions are:
    I am suppose to be adjusting the water to 7.0 right?
    My runoff should be 6.5 right?
    Mainly the ph of the runoff is more important than the ph of what goes in it right?

So if I know that it likes to drift back up a bit then maybe I should be shooting for 6.5 on what I give them, then keep checking the runoff to make sure it comes out to the desired 6.5 range.

I really appreciate your input jbudz.
    Thanks man!

5. no prob bro. ya shoot for 6.5. although 7 is neutral, optimal soil ph is 6.5-6.8. so your runoff should be between there.

6. Well I finally smoked some of the cured autoberry. All I can say is WOW! This stuff is freakin amazing. Has a nice skunky smell to it when your breaking it up but I could not believe how much it really does taste like berries. Super smooth and not harsh on the throat but super expanding when in the lungs.

I am seriously lucky that I fought the couch lock just to get this post made. Now I am off to the kitchen cause the cotton mouth is real bad and i'm gonna need some snacks.

I purchased an awesome 200x usb microscope.

Here is the autoberry close up

:smoking:

Attached Files:

• ab.jpg
      ab.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  7. hell ya bro,

8. hell ya bro, those autoberries taste amazing!!! thats all everybody kept saying about them. it truly is unlike any other pot ive ever tasted. so what was the final weight?

9. I was actually a little disappointed when I weighed it and it only came out to 35 grams total for both autoberry's.

However I did suspect that my yield was going to be affected because they never did fully recover from the yellowing leaves problem. They never did get as thick as a soda can but almost. Even though they both taste the same and you can tell they are the same strain 1 of them grew much denser than the other. The denser of the two girls weighed 21 grams by itself. Pretty strange how one of them came out to 3/4oz and the other one came out to 1/2oz.

10. ya, my dry weight was kind less than expected also. the one that started off as wide as a soda can, dried to about half the size.

11. Day 11

Getting a bit frustrated. They seem to be growing at a decent rate but I am already starting to get yellow leaves and one of them even has a brown dead spot on it.

I just game them some water and made sure the ph was 6.5. When I checked the runoff it was 6.4. It was a relief to see the runoff is withing range now.

I think tomorrow I might give them their bigger pots.

Attached Files:

12. the yellowing is due to the ph locking nutes out. now that the ph is better, you should see good growth. the yellow wont really get better, it just shouldnt get to much worse unless you still have a def of some sort. in that case, its time to start nutes.

13. #33 420Madman, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
    Well I finally got around to making my BHO from the trim of the autoberries (the fist 2 I grew)

This stuff will rock your world! Just a little drip on the top of a bowl and your choking & hacking for a bit. Almost pure THC crystal. The trick is to use premium 5 times refined butane. It leaves very little residue behind

Attached Files:

14. nice work bro! did you use a method found on gc?

15. #35 420Madman, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011

Nope, actually it was a method a buddy told me about over the phone. He send me the tube device in the mail and walked me thru how to do it. Some buddies of mine blow it into water so that it removes some of the residue. They call it washing the oil. Their oil is transparent and the exact color of honey. I don't use the water cause it's a bit difficult to collect from the water. I blow it straight on to pyrex glass so I can simply scrape it off. It comes out beautiful yellow as you can see but it's not clear like theirs. When smoking them I can't tell the difference between their's and mine.

This stuff is super strong and not meant to be used in excess by those that don't understand it's potency. It's puts me in my happy place after 1 hit and I consider myself a veteran/heavy smoker for years now.

You can find some cool videos on youtube. Just type in BHO.

16. Day 13
    I decided to give them some food. The yellowing leaves had me concerned a bit. I figured it was either a ph issue(which I have since resolved) or maybe they were needing some nutes. I figured I would go with a very diluted Grow Big solution because it has a much higher N than the Big Bloom.

Day 14
    WOW! They really like the food! All the sudden I notice a huge growth difference and the leaves are very green again. I think some of the yellow leaves actually turned back green. WHEW! I am quite amazed how much they have grown in just 2 days. They seem like they are standing very strong and proud. I decide to reward them today and they get their new pots. I transplanted all 8 and them gave them another drink of the same strength solution. It is about 1/4 of the strength of what is recommended for general feeding. It was .25 tsp in 1qt of water. I set PH at 6.5 again.

Day 15
    Looks like they are really loving the new pots and I have noticed more growth. Looks like they might get another drink tomorrow. Here is the recent picture.

Attached Files:

17. What microscope did you get?

18. Day 26

All is well in the shower stall of happiness.

All 6 autos are starting to bud as normal. The 2 white widow skunks (non autos) seem to be very dark green and loving the food I am giving them. I can't believe how short and stocky 1 of them is.

Here is a couple pics.

Attached Files: