400Watt Hps

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bigchuck696, Sep 4, 2014.

1. I plan on growing at least ten plants will 2 400watt hps do the trick? Can i use them for the whole spectrum veg n flower also ill prolly add cfl if needed but advice on the hps lights would b great. I haven't baught them yet bit will 400watt b enough or try 600

2. Any help or input from anyone ? This will be my first indoor grow gunna get autos but ill yield a lot w better lights so please help let me know wat I should do with the lights any? Im finishing up my outdoor grow coming real nice end of sept ill harvest I can post pics but id like advice with the lighting

3. #3 CanadianOrganic, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    I'd do 600. Only 200 extra watts but it's actually crazy how much more effective they are.
    Check out the chart. 600s are almost DOUBLE the output of 400s.
    400 gives off 50,000 lumens and 600 gives off 93,000 lumens.

Attached Files:

4. great advice above.  the 600w is so much more efficient then a 400w.

You could also get a digital adjustable ballast if you worry about heat or want to upgrade later. That way you have the option to run 400/600/1000w .  It also depends on the size and shape of your grow area, but 600w is a good place to start in terms of efficiency.

You should be able to afford more than 800w with a harvest under your belt, but 400w lights are decent as hell.

The caveat is that you'll need just as big a ventilation system for 800w as you will for 1200w, and the cost difference will be minimal. I concur with CO and bongsauce, 600's would be a better investment, since you'll be running the ventilation for it anyway..

6. Now will the 600hps cover all light spectrum for veg and flower. I should get a ballast reflector? Ill prolly throw a few cfl on the side of each plant too. Anything else you think ill need? The ventilation for wat? I actually have a big room that will take a lot to heat up

7. Any answers guyd

8. I wouldn't worry about supplementing with cfl if yer running a 600w. You could get a switchable ballast and run MH during veg.

9. Ok so the hps is only good for flowering and ill need my for veg? Although I Vvb plan on running six to ten autos with the hps600 that should be sufficient for autos? Also guys im trying to yield as much as possible can I top autos ? Yhe light doesn't matter correct? The spectrum that is also wat auto strains are good for high yield y his will b my first indoor and first auto any suggestions would b great im building a grow room in my basement also wat all will I need for my 600hps like a . Reflector ballast ill need a small vent fan I should build in the wall?