400w vs 600w HPS, light selection

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ingrid27, Jan 3, 2018.

?

400w or 600w in a 32"x32"x7'? (details below, no AC)

1. 400w

66.7%
  2. 600w

33.3%
  1. #1 Ingrid27, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Hey Blades,
    I am ordering equipment for my grow, to begin as soon as my seeds get in. I will be growing Auto Think Different (dutch passion), Auto CBD white widow (also dutch passion), Auto Northern Lights (world of seeds), and white widow xxl (dinafem)...first time with regulated genetics (not bag seed), super stoked!!!!! I am choosing autos for the high CBD content, since it will primarily be used for treating a family friends' increasingly severe case of Parkinson's Disease. I've grown before, and am very interested in the medicinal value of the plants, so I offered to help her out!

Anyway, here is a picture of the closet I am going to grow in. I will primarily use the first section, measuring ~32in x 32in of grow space. I will have a 6" 442 CFM filter/fan combo running 24/7, with a speed controller to dial in the correct temps. Temps currently rest at 62-64 degrees F, without any lights or equipment.
    closet in sketchup.png
    Do you think that I would be able to run a 600w in this small space without any heat issues? I keep going back and forth, saying I probably just want a 400w, however, if I keep the ballast out of the closet, and run my exhaust fan at full speed, there is a possibility (in my mind) that the 600w could work. I know you see this question all the time on the forums, and every situation is different, so let me know if there is any other info you want to give me an appropriate answer! Or just ignore me and I'll understand why :p

I would like to run 6 plants at a time (3 gal pots), in a perpetual style, with the 600, but I could understand why doing 3 at a time with a 400 would be better if I can't manage the heat. Bills/cost are not a problem, but I will probably never end up having this big of a setup down the road. So if the 600 doesn't work out, I'd end up only running it at like 50%/75% for its entire life...

Peace, love, and that lovely green color of the leaves.
    ~ING

2. 600 watt cooltube vented hood. 400 is too small for that size area.

It's slightly smaller then 3x3. 50 watts per square is very minimal for HPS. Many HPS growers run up to 60 or higher.

I commonly have seen 600 watt hps lights in 3x3 tents. They do really well. I feel like a 400 is a little light on power.

600 watts are also the most efficient HPS lights with lumens per watt around 160 when 400's and 1000's are more like 140 range.

3. You will need a large exhaust fan of about 400cfm hooked to the vented hood blowing outside at all times. I bet that will keep you in temp range. It has worked for others.

4. Awesome! Haha literally just sitting here waiting for someone, anyone, to say the 600w will work before I buy it :p Cheers tBone

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Ingrid27, Jan 3, 2018
  6. #6 Fataqui, Jan 3, 2018
    If you are using a 32 x 32, that hood the long way will be very tight at the bends coming out of each side of that hood. That hood is 23 inches the long way, and the hood flanges are 6 inches x 1.5 inches, so where it bends coming out of each side of the hood, you will need 36 inches in length, that's 2 inches more on each side than you currently are allotting for so that your ducting doesn't get squished at those bends. If you were using a tent that wouldn't be a problem as the tent walls will give way to your ducting but a solid wall won't. As for ipower, it will work, but I would definitely not use their bulbs as they don't give the best results. Yes, they do work, but you won't ever achieve optimal lighting with them. Also all the ipower ballast that I have seen only support 50%, 75%, 100% dimming control, so if you want to have the boost option, 110% you would need to get a different ballast. For a cheap ballast that works well I think virtual sun is the only dimming ballast that has that well worth it option. Also if you going to grow for someone who is battling the sad and terrible affects of Parkinson's Disease, I would have a look at AC/DC, Blackberry Kush, and Charlotte’s Web as the three of them have proven to be very helpful to those that are having to live with Parkinson's Disease.