400W or 600W HPS / MH ??????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tohighthree, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Ive got two grow tents in my room, i havent started my grow yet but i have bought both tents and they are 1.2m Width x 1.2m Depth x 2m Height.
    one for veg and one for flowering.

I plan to grow in pots of soil and as this is my first grow even though im quite experienced through research i dont want to get cocky and use hydro or bubble or Scrog etc now and mess it up.

Im going to be using either a 400w or 600w MH for veg
    and a 400w or 600w HPS son-T agro for flowering

As for ventilation i have a oscillating fan obviously and a 125mm / 5inch RUCK extractor fan (365m3/hour) with a:
    Rhino Pro carbon filter for the same size as the extractor

What is the suitable wattage bulb for a grow tent of this size? I was going to go with 400w because i felt that 600w would be too much for a 1.2m squared tent.

And also how many plants can i get into the tent without disrupting each others light. my guess was around 5 or 6 in the flowering room and im not sure how many in the veg room i would imagined a few more with clones etc?

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. bumpage...

anyone? i need to make a order of some stuff very soon and need the right bulb before doing so

thanks

3. how long are you gonna veg and how big will the plants be? id say a 400w could flower 5 or 6 small-medium sized plants with great results but if your gonna grow some larger sized plants or a few more plants than get a 600w and make sure you have plenty of venilation. anyone please correct me if im wrong tho, im only a first time grow with little basic knowledge

4. Depending on the kind of reflector you get a 400 watt could flower 4-5 medium plants easily..

5. yeah i was thinking 400w, yeah im aiming to flower around 4-6 plants at a time. Im not too sure how many i can squeeze into the veg tent?

How many veg plants will be suitable for a 1.2m 2 tent? considering im most deffinatly getting a heavy yeilding indica something like northern lights and a widow?

my question is really can i have more plants in the vegging room than i can in the flowering room or does the rule apply the same so if you have 4 - 6 flowering plants do i have to nessesarily have 4-6 veg plants or do they need less space when growing?

any help would be great.

6. Well, as long as you use smaller containers in the veg room, there shouldn't be any issue in having twice or three times as many plants in there as in the flower tent. The plants need much more space to flower than they do to grow.

As for wattage, 400w in each tent will probably be more than enough. I would suggest getting one 400w for the veg room, see how it does in terms of heat and then decide what to get for the flower room. Having a 600w isn't going to be much benefit if the heat is killing your plants. Either way, I would also recommend getting at least one air-cooled hoods because it's the easiest (and probably cheapest) way of keeping your temps under control. You might end up paying an extra 50-80$ for the hood, but you will be saving yourself both $ for buying and running extra fans and such and a whole lot of frustration over heat stressed plants.

7. thanks bud yeah i take into account about keeping temps down, i dont think ill need more than a 400w anyway, and plus its just gonna run my bills through the roof unnessesarily and probably kill my plants either way. i think 400 is safer and plus its a first grow and i dont want to have the shame of killing all of them off by over heating the room. ill stick with the 400w thanks for all the help. by any chance..

hopefully admin wont remove this but does anyone know if i used a co2 tank with a regulator etc when to turn it on, i.e turn all the fans off for that time or do it when the light is off / on i cant remember?

does anyone know when its best to keep the tank on throughout the day?

8. #8 smoove, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
    I'd go with the 600W HPS through the whole grow... but that's just me ;)

I grow 1 plant with my 400W light in a 2' X 3' space and I wish I were using a 600W. (or had 1.5 X 1.5 meters of canopy space to work with.)

9. yummy ...bigger is better