400w mh white widow grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dimboijx, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Ok so I'm now 2 weeks under the light. They are on an 18-6 light cycle. Just looking for any suggestions or comments on how the lil' ones look. Also I've read after about 2 weeks I should transplant them to give them the room they need. I know the one in the jiffy cup is drooping a little bit but I think its because they haven't been watered in a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Those are gorgeous plants! Looks like they're ready for a new home. Good luck!

3. hey man nice plants you've got there, they look very healthy and happy. i like that you've also got some perlite in that soil, that'll definitely help. i'd say give them another week or so (no more than that) and transplant them into some bigger pots, maybe 3 or 5 gallon pots...more room for the roots means bigger plants which means more bud if you've got room in your grow space. :)

what kind of nutrients you going to use (you won't need them for another couple of weeks i suspect though)? are you going to switch to HPS when you flower?

4. Neither looks droopy to me!
    Good Luck!
    Have faith!

5. The roots need more space so the plant can flourish.

6. are those ww seeds feminized? if so, where did you buy them and for how much (if you dont mind me asking)?

they look good

7. I have fox farms grow big which isn't being used yet and tiger bloom for the flowering stage. I have a hps bulb waiting in the wings for when I decide to go to 12/12.

So forgive me if this is a noob question (with this being my first grow and all) but why is it that my plant in the jiffy cup is literally twice the size of the others? I think its odd because it started about 4 days after my other ones sprouted . I spent a good amount of time in the first week or so tweaking my setup and adjusting how close/far the lights were from the plants and controlling the temperature of the room (I now have it at 78 while lights are on and 70 lights off). I thought for sure the one in the cup was going to be a goner because I let it sit inside my closet too long on the wet paper towel and the taproot went crazy on me and anchored itself into the paper towel. I had to rip it off of the towel to get it into the soil.

The one that sprouted first btw is also the smallest and scrawny looking of the bunch (top).

[​IMG]

8. Nope they aren't feminized. They are from high grade seeds who btw are some awesome people to work with. :)

9. Ok today I decided to go ahead with transplanting them so they had some room to stretch their legs. All things went off without a hitch but Im frustrated by the fact that one of the 4 little ones is curling a bit. I've played with the way they were watered over the last few days and nothing seems to be changing about the situation. Its still growing bigger and bigger but if the curling is an issue I'd like to nip it before it gets worse.

Attached Files:

10. Wait a day or so after the transplant. I'm willing to bet that once your plants have had a chance to spread their roots out into the new soil, they'll be OK. Actually they'll be more than OK - they're gonna take off! GL!

11. Sounds like a good mix to me. Keep in mind to only use 1/4 to 1/2 (at most) of their recommended dosage. Also, the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom is VERY acidic (pH ~5). You'll need to up the pH to 6.5-6.8 every time you give it to them.

I think that plant looks very healthy. The leaf curling is minimal...I wouldn't stress about it much. It might be due to overwatering...in which case try letting the soil get completely dry before you water again.

12. I did read that the tiger bloom was very acidic (plus I've read all your grow journals so I assumed that too). This might be another noob question but when I mix the nutes with the water it recommends dose/gallon. Should I mix the nutes with the gallon of water and let them drink until it drains from the bottom or should convert the same dose into a smaller amount of water so that it drinks the entire dose at once?

You might be right because my jiffy cup didn't drain as well as the clay pots the others were in. I'll watch them in their new home for a few days to make sure that nothing seems to get worse. I've always watered them daily and given them enough to drink until the water dripped from the bottom and they all look very healthy. I think my soil drains maybe a little too well because the water seems to drain from the bottom of the pot almost instantly.

13. Do this. If the recommended dose calls for 2 tsp per gallon, add 1/2 tsp to a full gallon of water (1/4 the recommended dose), adjust the pH, and add as much of that gallon to your plants until it starts to drain out the bottom. Depending on the size of your pots, this may only be half of that gallon or less.

Don't do this...I think it would burn your plant because your concentration would be too high.

If you are watering every day, overwatering might very well be the source of the leaf curling. I would only feed water when the soil has completely dried out...perhaps every 2-3 days.

Hope that helps. :cool:

14. Today marks day 18 from sprout for the 2 smaller plants pictured and day 16 for the larger one (sounds backwards but true). Everything looks good aside from my smaller ones starting to angle themselves towards the light. I can really only support 2 at most in my grow space but I wanted to maximize my chances of getting girls so I threw in a 3rd for good luck. How do they look so far? They always look small to me but then again its my first grow so I really don't know.

Attached Files:

15. They look pretty good! How close is the light? What kind of light?

16. 400w MH bulb. They are roughly a foot away from the light. The bulb is in a cool tube hood so heat isn't really an issue. The room stays a steady 78 degrees with lights on.

17. Ok so I know this doesn't have much to do with anything but I have to celebrate the small victories. This morning when I woke up I gave them all a good watering and I got my first wiff of the fresh cannabis smell. Definitely rewarding for all the work put into this project haha. Now I have to look into a scrubber :)

18. Good luck! I just got that fresh smell after the first feeding yesterday. Definitely cool. I'll be checking back on this, let us know how it works out.

19. Ok so one of the ones at 19 days old is starting to yellow a bit only only in the spot pictured. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it yet. I haven't started feeding them yet and planned on doing that a bit later but I'm wondering if that one is in need of a shot of nutes?

Attached Files:

20. No, there is no need to feed it yet. The yellowing of those first leaves is perfectly normal once they get the bigger solar panels up and running on those bigger leaves.

You'll notice this happening again and again over the course of the grow...as the plant gets bigger and more mature the little leaves towards the bottom of the plant will start to yellow, wilt and eventually die even though the plant is perfectly healthy. It's just doing that because it figures it is not worth the "expense" to keep those leaves healthy and alive when they contribute nearly nothing to the growth of the plant since it's got all those bigger leaves higher up and closer to the lights to do that.