400W MH & HPS heat question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Schloized, Jan 8, 2008.

1. My general question is what would be the smallest space you could grow using a 400W HID system without having an intense air intake/exhaust system, no laking one completely i'm just talking a few oscillating fans for airflow.

My specific situation is this: I have a long rectangular style closet (3ft deep, 8ft wide, 8ft tall) that i am currently growing in with some CFL's while the plants are still under 3inches.

I have the walls covered with mylar partially (white everywhere else) but i am only using a 3X3 section of the closet to grow, the other part is separated by my dresser. My concern was, if i spent the money on the HPS that i would find out my temps go crazy. The closet is not blocked off by a regular door, its those folding sheet metal doors with vents in them that kind of look like when you close your window blinds if that makes any sense. So the airflow isn't horrible already.

The light i'm ordering is a HTGSupply 400 Watt HPS Ballast, Compact 4-Sided Reflector, GrowBright 400w HPS Bulb, AgroMax 400w MH Conversion Bulb, 10' Ballast to Reflector Cord Set, Heavy Duty Dual Outlet Timer

Thanks for reading, i haven't grown with HID's yet only a few small CFL grows so i have no idea about the kind of heat that they give off. If it works out i'll try and make up for this lame question post with some sort of grow journal and lots of pretty pictures

Stoner note: when i logged on GC, the number of active users online was 420!:smoking:

2. what's your temp atm???? they do give off a fair bit of heat m8 you may want to get some sort of extraction+them doors you were talking about are they light proof??

3. with that much light, you could do a 4x4 flood table.

4. temps right now are at a steady 73-77 with the humidity from 32-40%.
    The doors do let in a little ambient light none of it is direct
    i covered up the cracks in the doors with some mylar type stuff.
    The vents are angled so they only let light go up to the ceiling not down on the plants

5. You are definitely going to need adequate airflow when using HID lighting. In a small closet like that the temps can easily get too high. If the temps are at 73-77 right now, with a HID setup my guess is that your temps could get up to the mid 80's which is too high for my comfort level. I don't let my ladies get above 80.

6. well with a 77 temp now sticking a 400 hps in there your temps i rekon will hit the roof.

7. there is a 250W system i was looking at getting if the heat was too much, i only have 6 plants right now so unless they're all females i'll be pulling some. Do you think 250W is enough for this size of a grow. My other thought was to go T5 HO but researched those alot and still didn't get a clear answer on if a T5 setup would do ok during flowering.

8. I think the 400 would be better 'but you have to control the heat..have you looked into cool tubes?? that's what save me from heat troubles.....you will need a fan to go with it etc etc.

9. cool tubes? i've probably seen them just don't know exactly what you're talking about, i know there are reflectors you can get that enclose the light and have a hole for some kind of exhaust duct but those are a little more $$$

10. [​IMG]

cool tube...cost me £40.00

11. looks like a sweet setup you got there, i'll look into it. i appreciate the help

12. I pretty much have your exact setup that your getting.
    My closet is the same size as yours and I bought that exact same light.
    FUNNY!!
    but I built a tent in my closet because of those doors letting light in, and it works great.
    yet its a little smaller.
    my closet is 2' deep by 3' wide by 6' tall.
    I use a 140cfm blower and a 75cfm intake fan.
    the light is about 1 foot from the tops and temps stay lower with the HPS because blue spectrum gets hotter.
    but the temps range from 78-84 constant
    and 62-70 at night.
    My opinion is that my fans are not close to strong enough for the light I have but the temps still stay alright for how enclosed the space is.
    But as long as you have good ventilation.
    A 400 wattt is bombb

GOOD LUCK!:smoke:

13. i just order me htg 400w gigital grrehouse lamp
    for my 5 babies i got going
    i just trip the lights today to 12/12 im expecting my light this week
    so look forward to some bomb pics

14. Dude take the extra money you will spend on the conversion bulb and buy a lumatek. Theres a place online the whole 400 kit for 169, its discount hydro i think in cali. They are MH/HPS ballasts, very quiet, and stay cool. Generic hps and mh bulbs are like 8-13 bucks a peice so thats a plus, you wont have to buy a costly conversion bulb ever.
    the heat difference between a 250 and 400 is nothing, go with the 400 for big donkey dick sized buds, i know i am going to. I have 3 companies i am exchanging emails for the best price lol.
    If smell isnt an issue, get or build a air cooled hood with glass, or a cooltube as shown above. Get an inline fan to cool the lamp enclosure. If you are venting out of the closet the hot air form the bulb then a fan inside should keep temps under control. Hope this helps, ive read like 34 400w cab grows on like 4 sites lol, way to much time on my hands

15. I would also recommend a lumatek ballast since it will help you avoid buying expansive conversion bulbs. about the space I think 400w is good for up to 3x3' or 4x4' if you like to see them buds swell. for a small space with more than 150w I'd recommend an air cooled ballast with an exhaust fan, it allows you to put the light MUCH closer to the plants, which helps A LOT in bringing more lumens onto leaves and penetrate more canopy down the plant. 400w lumatek ballast costs $140 i think, air cooled reflector costs $130, a bulb is $40 and u want mh and hps bulbs so make it $80, fan is $80-200 depands on your needs and choice etc. according to those numbers you should be able to build a nice air cooled 400w light for $430-$500.