Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

400w HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Chamonix, Aug 28, 2018.

1. I found someone selling a working, 400w HPS with wing and a remote ballast for 20$.

Is there anything I should look for when purchasing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah.. that it really does work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Chamonix, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Thats why I would be going to his house to see it working. No shady walmart HPS for me.

I meant function wise. I doubt moving a super hot HPS is advisable so I cant run it too long. As an aside what is the best way to move something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If I were to go back to hps I’d make sure the light also ran MH bulbs for veg

• Like Like x 1
  5. It won’t be super hot if you turn it on for a min then off don’t worry I run 5

• Like Like x 1
  6. The bulb gets hot really fast but also cools down really fast. As long as the ballast is in a steel case you could transport it right away after a whole day of running. The case would not likely be any hotter than 80 - 100F so wouldn't even melt a plastic bag much less set fire to anything. I have 4 - 400s and a couple of 1000W magnetics and have used them for almost 20 years. Most are a lot older than that. Only once had to replace the capacitor in one when it failed to fire a good bulb.

Not even a case on three of them. :) Price was right. Free!

This one is being used right now to power a 16 yo Hortilux conversion bulb that gives me MH light off an HPS ballast. Was using a 7200K MH PlantMax bulb off my 400w MH ballast but it doesn't seem to grow plants worth a damn and it's nearly brand new. Hoping the Hortilux lasts until I can get a decent MH bulb to run off the MH. Doesn't have to be Hortilux but has to be better than this PlantMax POS.

BallastCropped.jpg