400W HPS light distance from seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Frankffs, Oct 25, 2017.

1. hi guys! Planted my seeds last monday (so the plants on the right are at day 9)

Plants on the left are at day 3 since monday morning.

Light distance is at 34"
    Temp is always at 80-85. Never exceeds 85.

So far i'm not giving nutes. I'll start doing so at half dosage next week for the plants on the left.

Now I read a ton on the subject. But some people say to keep the plants from 1.5-2 feet away from the 400w HPS

Sitting at 34" gives me about 2.9 ft distance from plants.

Should I lower the lamp or keep it at 34"?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. You shouldnt really run hps in veg as plants need more blues hps is more for flowering a mh is whats recommended

3. I read a lot on HPS vs MH for veg and so many people contradicts themselves... I think it is just a myth. I personnally grew HPS from seed to harvest since it brings less heat than MH. I am trying MH for veg now though (since i have an un used MH bulb, i dont want to over use the HPS)

4. plants look fine. Put a temp gauge where your plants are so we can see the temp at the plant level. Are you using fans. Exhaust? more info

5. Hps it wayyyyy hotter than a mh

6. Its at around 80 degrees farenheit where the plants are.
    41% humidity. I have an inline fan VTX 400 4"

Attached Files:

7. Should be good then, mine fluctuate around 77-83 under light although im running 2 600 watt mh bulbs with 2 6’ fans, the room itself is probably around 70 or so. Get a oscilating fan. I noticed a good change in mine after I got one, not just the temp but helped the plants. Just 15 bucks for one

8. Ok so what distance should I set the lamp from the plants? Right now its at 34"

9. My 2 600s are 22 inches above my plants. But it just depends man. You want them as close as poasible without burning them up. It depends on your cooling

10. Im going to get a 2nd clip fan tomorrow. Until then I lowered the light from 34" to 28"

Let me also remind you that 2 of the seedlings are 5 days old and the 2 others are 12 days old. Once I get my 2nd clipfan i'll lower it to 20" and keep a close eye on em over the weekend!

11. It shouldnt get too hot in there. Are you using a cool tube design? Just put your hand where your plant is and if it feels uncomfterable to you then raise it. Like i said too earlier, a cheap oscilating fan will help out moving cool air around