400w hps light buzzing, maybe the bulb?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The Great Decay, Oct 29, 2007.

1. 400w hps ballast with a 430 agrow bulb.
    when i shook the bulb it rattled, and when i turn the ballast on
    the bulb makes a buzzing sound, possibly the stuff inside making noise?
    The ballast makes a humming noise, but the bulbs defintiely making noise too..
    Should i put the old 250w bulb that made no noise back in?

2. No mine hums as well been using it for 8 months no prob.... I don't know what it will do but dont use lower watt in higher watt ballast

3. they buzz dude......

4. yes they are supposed to make noise when you shake them! but dont shake them.

and yes you can use the philips 430watt Son Agro in a 400watt ballast no problem

they have the same ansi code S51......

unless you have a digital ballast yes it will make a buzzing sound......

Andrew

5. well i bought a 400watt ballast and bulb combo somehwere, and they sent me a 250w bulb
    instead, that bulb never made noise, but teh 400w one does, i was just making sure nothing was wrong

6. hey i dont think that 250watt bulb should be in a 400watt ballast though.....

make sure the Ansi codes match up S51.......

7. I have the exact bulb ballast

its a xtrasun 400watt with a Son Agro 430watt X2

the ballast makes a bit of noise but not the bulb...

it makes noise when you shake it a bit tho but not when its running.

Check your ballast make sure its not a 250watt one.... you could be fucking shit up......

Andrew

8. S50 is the ansi code for a 250 watt...

9. ive definitely got a s51 400watt ballast.
    after a couple days of it running everything appears to be fine
    just stoner paranoia i guess ha

10. My noise goes away when I lift up the coil of wire ( transformer I think, part of the ballast, not the starter.)

I just hung mine up with tin wire, doesn't make that vibrating sound anymore, but the bulb still hums alittle.