400W Aurora Indica DIY DWC & Scrog - First Grow Flowering Pictures

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by lilguy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Who starts a grow journal on day 50 of flower? A guy who smokes too much.

This is my first grow. To say that this community was helpful would be the biggest understatement ever. So, collectively, thank you.

I had four rooted Aurora Indica clones. Vegged for a few days and didn't know what I was doing. My gut told me to cut them and tie them which I later learned was actually a really good topping/LST and then vegged for about 2.5 weeks.

The setup:
    -400W HPS
    -DIY DWC w/ top-feed drip, 27 gallon Home Depot Tote
    -DIY ScrOG of PVC, eye hooks and twine, 2" spacing
    -80 gallon pump with multiple stones, thing nearly shakes with bubbles

I have these beautiful notes & measurements from how I made the DWC tub and ScrOG, but the plants are sort of in the way for any photos. Maybe I'll do a backwards grow journal so you don't have to wait for page 10 to find out if it worked...but if it does, I'll take pics after I'm done. I'm in for maybe $20 on the entire DWC setup, the ScrOG was leftover PVC...if you had free, it would probably cost $20 all in and you'd have enough eyehooks to last you a lifetime. Say $40-50 all in maybe?

Have a temp/humidity gauge that caches the prior 24 hours. I get back down to 67-70 deg every night, but as high as 88-90 by the end of 12 hours of light. Humidity has been stabilized to 45-52% through any 24 hour window. I have one of those always on Hanna meters, have kept pH just below 6 and PPM was up to as 1500-1600.

I just started to see my first few leaves turning yellow and these things are getting more sugary by the day.

As a first timer, I had no idea what to expect, but this pot puberty thing seems to happen pretty quick. I think mine are now sexually active and putting on their freshman fifteen.

I am highly creative and have named my colas. One is named 'right' and the other is named 'back left.' Comparison shots from day 39 to 50 are attached, but I think I took each photo from a different distance so that was probably a mistake. They are a lot fatter. The canopy ended up being pretty even for me doing everything in my power to eff it up.

If anyone is still reading...I'm slowly understanding that these plants don't gradually go through their cycles, but rapidly switch from one phase to their next.

If I'm watching for signs of them getting ready to get laid or die trying, is there some loose relationship between leaves / pistils receding / trichs changing? Are they sequential...most leaves turn, most pistils recede, and then most trichs change?

I'm on day 1 of week 8...just forecasting if I can use these first signs of dying to know if that means that I'm more like 1, 2, or 3 weeks, etc.

Attached Files:

2. #2 sir grow alot, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
    Whats up lilguy!

Things look great...I wish my first time was this successful :D

If you are seeing signs of yellowing leafs and aren't flushing I would expect they are getting burned or a lock out is occurring....if you are near 1600ppm my gues personally is nute burn,but I'm no pro.

But as for when to crop all you need to do look at the trich color under a micro scope (handheld or not) 10-30x is just fine or whatever magnifying glass with the same power will do too...

But really jus do a tiny search on the subject of harvesting with trich color and you will find abundant info on it!!

Best of luck...happy growing:smoke:

3. I appreciate your reply...actually, your journals were among those I read first.
    You are, relatively, an early harvester aren't you? Like first amber trich and you're looking to hack?

I am flushing them. Actually the colors are kind of beautiful. I have no idea if I'm right, but it looks like they're using the stored carbs and there is almost an autumn-ish run of yellows and almost orange/red at the very base of the fan leaves.

I pushed the nutes up during the grow, probably peaking around week 4 or 5 but they kept getting greener and growing. I flipped to straight h2o in beginning of week 7--so about 9 days ago maybe?

These little suckers pack on weight. Holy cow. They also pack on the sticky. I had to move a fan leaf for the photo and I think I have the super glue pheno.

Not having macro mode on my camera sort of sucks. So I have instead attached macroish pics.

This little one is packing on weight:
    [​IMG]

Two attempts at getting a solid close up. Well, two that I kept of 20 attempts at getting a solid close up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Wow, for how difficult the image posting is for upload, then embed, etc....those pictures actually rendered better in the site than it looked like they were going to.

I'm going to feel almost guilty when killing these things. Key word: almost.