400 watt single plant

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by HDGrower, Jan 16, 2017.

?

Will desired setup workout?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I am new to indoor growing and had a few questions/concerns hopefully I can get help with. Iplan to build a 1.5*1.5*7ft 400 watt growbox. I want to place bulb around 6-6.5 ft and enclose it with a piece of glass. Enclosed in the glass would also be 2 4" booster fans. Those fans would be only for light. I want the light so high for a reason. I will be growing mainly sativa strains and will scrog it so stretching is fine. I will be growing in a 5gal bucket with FFOF and not use any nutes until ready to flower since FFOF has enough already to veg with no prob. My question is go you feel that the light would stay cool enough in that area since it will be a stand alone bulb with no reflector enclosed in glass with 2 4" booster fans? My aim is to diminish heat from light and more less have fans for plant perdomiantly for co2 and not for cooling purposes. I was thinking 1 4" fan for intake about 3 ft up the box and in corners under my light 2 4" fans for exhaust. Let me know what you think

2. What kind of lights?

Attached Ballast?

3. 400 watt HP's and ballast will be close to my wall outlet. Them fuckers get hotter than the light lol. Basically,I'm cutting a hole running bulb and socket through it and enclosing it with a cpl fans a few inches above it on both sides

4. Think of it as a V. The light will be on the bottom of the V with the fans on the top edges of the V

5. It's all about how you manage the air flow when working with such a tight space. That then becomes a temperature management issue. 400W HPS is alot of light for a 1.5 X 1.5.

100,000 lux is the upper limit of tolerance for most strains. After that you start to see plant stressing from Chlorophyll bleaching and heat stress.

6. You need to be able to raise and lower your light. If it is 5' above your seedlings they will stretch to get closer. Either have a series of things to stack to raise the plants (scary to think of them falling over) or make your light so it can be raised and lowered.

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1387325/

7. Not worried about stretch since I will be scrog. I want it to stretch quite a bit. What is the lux of a 400 HP's? Would I be better off with a 250? I was worried about too much stunting growth.

9. Lux is determined by angle of light, distance and sq footage of area, not the number of plants.
    Adding plants will also require greater airflow in that tight space.

10. I would actually divide the area in half and put a 150w hps or equivalent leds(single ~100w cob) in each chamber. I ran a 150w hps in 1.5w x 1.5d x 2'h ...when I cranked it to 250 it was a bit much. That was also barebulb vertical, just inches from my plants. Enclosing with glass or cool tube isn't necessary, you just need proper airflow and exhaust fans.

No offense but I feel you should be a little more concerned with stretch. If seedlings stretch and fall over they sometimes die..it's also a huge waste of space to let a plant over-stretch. You can control a sativa just fine with lst or in a scrog.. growing a 6 ft tall plant with a light only on top would be a huge waste. Lights will only penetrate if they're unshaded...with a 6ft plant in a 1.5 x 1.5 chamber with even a 400w hps on the top...you'll still only get decent buds about 1-1.5ft under the bulb..so you'll end up with 3 feet of stems on the bottom. That 3 feet of stems could be a whole nother flowering chamber producing 2x as much yield.

• Like Like x 1