400 Watt, Mh/Hps, Coco, Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Hecktorharris1, May 7, 2011.

1. This is a seed that I found on the carpet. I germinated it and planted it on the April 30th and it sprouted on the May 1st.

My Medium and Grow Area
    Botanicare Readygro Moisture Formula.
    The temperature is around 75-80 degrees I also have a fan blowing on her at all times. Once in a while I will shut it off for a couple hours so she can have a break.

My Light Setup

Three 26 watt, 1600 lumen, 6500k
    One 42 watt, 1500 lumen, 2700k

Light Schedule

24/0

My nutrients
    Humboldt Nutrients Grow 100% Organic
    CNS 17 Coco & Soil Formula
    General Organics CaMg+
    General Hydroponics pH UP and pH DOWN.

My Water and Feeding Schedule
    May 1st- Watered with 1 liter of water ran through a Brita water filter I also added 1.5 ml of the Humboldt Grow. Plus 2ml of baking soda to bring the pH to 5.8 (this was before I had the pH up and down.)

May 4th- Today. Watered with .5 liters of RO. Added .6ml Humboldt Grow and 3 drops of CaMg+. I brought the pH down to 5.8.

Later on May 4th- Watered with .5 liters RO. Added .8ml of Clearex and 2 drops of pH up to bring the pH to 5.8. ( I wanted to clean out any insoluble salts leftover from the baking soda)

May 5th- Watered with 2 liters plus 10 ml of clearex pHed to 5.8. Runoff was 6.2

Later on May 5th- Watered with 1 liter plus 2.5ml CNS17 Grow. PH 5.8. Runoff 6.2

May 6th- Watered with 1 liter. pH 5.5 Runoff 6.2

I was also wondering if you guys had any feeding advice or knew of any other nutrients I could get that would help with yield and quality.

Also do you guys know when would be a good time to transplant into my 3 gallon smart pot?

The pictures of her when she is small were taken on May 4th, the pictures where she is bigger were taken on May 6th.

Would it be a bad idea to swap between using CNS17 and Humboldt Nutrients grow? Also when is the best time to start using CaMg+ and how much?

Anyone feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys so much with out you guys here on GC I would not be able to do half of this.

Attached Files:

2. Also do you guys know when would be a good time to transplant into my 3 gallon smart pot?

Ususally when you have at least 3 to 4 nodes like 2 weeks.

3. I started a seed in a 6 inch square pot, and transplanted it when I saw roots poking out the bottom of the pot...I have plenty of pics in my journal if youre interested, im a coco grower too using cns17

4. Regarding the CaMg+, just follow the instructions. ie. 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1.5ml per litre. That rate seems to be sorting out my deficiencies.
    If I were you, I'd add CaMg+ right from the first feeding.

I wait until the roots are advanced enough to hold the medium together before transplanting.

5. I wouldn't swap between them, I'd just use them both at the same time. The Humboldt stuff is mostly organic and CNS17 is totally synthetic, so combining them makes sense.

As far as CaMg use that now. I use CalMag every watering, even when I use no other nutes at all, I always use CalMag. I've had Magnesium problems in the past, I learned my lesson.

6. Thank you guys so much for all your help. I would not have been able to do it with out GC. I will be posting more pictures in a couple hours. Im at work painting right now its such a nice day. :bongin:

7. Reminder
    Planted April 29th, Sprouted May 1st

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to post more pictures. How do they look, Their only 7 days and 5 hours old. When I got back home the fan was off and the coco was still wet, I think that may be the cause of the new growth drooping. Please tell me what you think.

Does anyone know if the pH of my run off is too high? I'm afraid to water it with water pH'd to 4 to try and lower the runoff pH. Would this be to acidic and shock the roots?

Also wardrobe aren't you afraid of your plant becoming root bound if you wait to long?

Do you guys know off any other nutrients I could e

May 7th- Watered with 1 liter with 1.2 ml of General Organics CaMg+. pH 5.5, Runoff 6.2

Pictures

The 1st picture is a picture of the crazy kool-aid man I found in my glass.

The 2nd picture is one of my friends bong I'm rippin. :bongin:

The 3rd picture is of the shitty dank weed I'm smoking now. It needed a way better trim job other than that its not bad, It gets me baked. My old friend grows it out in California.

The 4th picture is of the bad ass DGK shirt I'm wearing right now

The 5th picture is of my girl. She is 7 days, 5 hours old.

The 6th picture is another of my girl.

The 7th picture is a milk shot.

P.S. Again thank you guys for all the help. :bongin: I would pass the bong through the forum if I could haha. Please tell me if you think they are looking good compared to other plants you've seen. Also if you give me a link to your journal i will check it out :smoke:

Attached Files:

8. #8 Wardrobe, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011

Looking good and pretty similar to mine at the same age. Some perlite in the mix will help with drainage next time and avoid the droops, hopefully. Not a problem at this stage.

Ignore any and all advice to pH test the runoff or the medium when growing in coco. Because it has a tendency to rise in pH, you'll never get an accurate measurement. (As mentioned in AskEds coco guide. He knows what he's talking about.) Just measure the pH of your feeding water.

No, I'd NEVER wait too long. It takes a lot longer than 3 weeks for a baby to become root-bound in a 2.4 litre pot. All three are now under 12/12 lighting. Check them out if you get a chance. They're doing pretty well.

You're already on the right track. House and Garden make pretty good nutes and General Hydroponics/General Organics make good additives. Canna base nutes, as I'm currently using, are pretty good, too, possibly the best but very expensive.
    I'm about to test drive 'Naked Nutrients' base nutes, thanks to aussiegrower138.
    They're new, though, and Australian, so they probably aren't available to you except over the web. I'll keep everyone posted on results. ag138 swears by them and I have faith in his judgement.

Finally, you'd do well to up the watering pH a little to 5.8. As I mentioned, ignore the runoff. It'll confuse you and get you into trouble.

Good luck.

My keyboard is droppng i's, o's and z's at the moment. A pain in the arse. Don't want to buy another - this has USB ports, a volume knob and Play/Pause/Mute etc buttons. I've grown to like it. Might have to pull it apart and see what's going on.

9. There is already perlite in the coco mix. Look here is a picture of my bag of coco, I took close ups of the ingredients and nutrients so you can see whats in it.

Attached Files:

10. Of course, sorry. I was thinking you were growing in straight coco. Must have been another thread. I forgot you were growing in ReadyGro.

11. Its all good. I do tend to forget things too, It comes with the territory haha.

12. Reminder

Hi everyone, I got some new pictures.

May 8th- Watered with 1 liter with 3.75 ml of CNS17 and 3.75 ml of Humboldt 100% Organic Grow. Also added 1.2ml of OG CaMG+. pHed to 5.8

Pictures
    All three of these pictures were taken on May 8th around 11pm.

Is she looking good?

Attached Files:

13. #13 Hecktorharris1, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
    Reminder

Hey everyone

I have a couple questions first I hope you guys can help :bongin:

:D:D For my birthday I got a 400 watt MH/HPS I was only expecting to use CFLs I'm not sure about anything with this new light. I thought I was going to have to wait a long time to get one. I will post pictures of it tomorrow after I pick it up. :D:D

How far should I keep the light away?

How much ventilation will I need?

How will I hang it before I get a grow box?

Is it a bad idea to buy a big cheap cabinet and turn that into my grow box?

Also if their are any good links about MH/HPS please let me know.
    Any help would mean a lot to me. Thank you very much.

May 9th- Watered with 1 liter with 3.75 ml of CNS17 and 3.75 ml of Humboldt 100% Organic Grow. Also added 1.2ml of OG CaMG+. pHed to 5.8

Pictures
    All three pictures were taken on May 10th at 3:40am

How's she look???:confused:

Attached Files:

14. Does she look good, okay, bad, horrible?!?:confused_2:

15. Thank you so much Ganja-Guru for moving my thread here. :)

16. Looks healthy.

Most of your questions can be answered with a bit of searching / reading.

How you hang your light depends on your particular setup. Use a little ingenuity.

With 400W, about 12" from the plants. 8" to 15". Place your hand near the top of the nearest plant and if it doesn't get uncomfortably hot after one minute it should be OK.

Does the light have a ventilated hood?

How you build your box is purely a matter of personal preference and circumstances.

Have a bit of a read around the site.

17. lookin good man!

18. #18 Hecktorharris1, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
    Reminder

Hey everyone, before we get to the pictures let me fill you in on what I plan to do.

Tomorrow I'm going to go get lumber to build a box 5 feet tall 3'6" feet wide and 4'6" long. I want to cover the inside of the box with the Mylar that holds in 90% of the infrared rays. I hoping to be able to grow a lot. I would like a mother plant or two so I would be able to start a SoG.

I'm going to get three 4 inch coaxial fans, one for my 400 watt mh/hps and the other 2 for the girls. Each one will be hooked up to duct work and each one will have its own carbon scrubber. When I have the money I will replace the coaxial fan the cools the light for a 4 inch centrifugal. The best centrifugal fan I could find was $169.99.

I also went out and bought a bag of pretty good mid's just to get the seeds they are germinating. They just got put into a wet paper towel about 2 hours ago.

I think I'm going to transplant into my 3 gallon smart pot tomorrow. Do you blades and bladies think this is a good idea or should I wait?

My Watering and Feeding Schedule
    May 10th- Watered with 1 liter with 1.2 General Organics CaMg+ pH was 5.8.

Pictures
    1st Picture- The plant. taken May 10th at 11:00pm
    2nd Picture- The plant. taken May 10th at 11:00pm
    3rd Picture- The light, hood, and ballast.
    4th Picture- Close up of ballast.
    5th Picture- Bulbs

Attached Files:

19. You could wait a little longer. Still a pretty small plant.
    I like to wait until there are more roots to help hold things together during the transplant.
    Also keeps watering a bit easier for now.

20. Ok thank you for the input both of you.

Wardrobe I just started worrying that maybe 1 liter of water a day is to much and maybe I'm washing all my nutrients away. :( Also now that I think of it the run off is normally almost clear when most of the water has passed through the pot.

I think I'm going to switch to water with .5 liters till I transplant into the 3 gallon smart pot.

Thank you again you guys have been such a huge help to me. :bongin: