400 Watt CFL Continuous Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by s0cks23, Oct 7, 2012.

1. #21 morange, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    She's looking good, what size container is the autoflower in? Last time I grew out auto's I kind of just tossed them into 1 gallon pots in the corner of my grow tent, so I didn't yield much at all.

EDIT: also, I'm still struggling with the seedlings, I was wondering how you started that critical kush. I notice it's in a large container for a seedling, did you put it directly there from germination? Also what are the temperatures/humidity like in the veg area? I feel like I'm not making any progress at all, it feels like none of my plants are even growing right now. My trainwreck showed signs of P lockout from the cold so I lowered the light a bit, that was a mistake I guess because it dried the medium out too much and ever since then it's been fading in color and not growing. Starting 2 more seeds now but I'm going crazy...

2. [quote name='"morange"']She's looking good, what size container is the autoflower in? Last time I grew out auto's I kind of just tossed them into 1 gallon pots in the corner of my grow tent, so I didn't yield much at all.

EDIT: also, I'm still struggling with the seedlings, I was wondering how you started that critical kush. I notice it's in a large container for a seedling, did you put it directly there from germination? Also what are the temperatures/humidity like in the veg area? I feel like I'm not making any progress at all, it feels like none of my plants are even growing right now. My trainwreck showed signs of P lockout from the cold so I lowered the light a bit, that was a mistake I guess because it dried the medium out too much and ever since then it's been fading in color and not growing. Starting 2 more seeds now but I'm going crazy...[/quote]

I have the auto in a 2 gallon smart pot. So far I'm impressed with the smart pot. The plant is still growing and getting thicker and stronger.

As for the critical kush I started it by soaking the seed for 24 hours in water with a little of the RapidStart. Then used a paper towel and got it all wet with the water from the cup and folded the seed inside the paper towel and put it in a cup. I covered the cup with foil and put it on the heat mat for 2 days. When I checked on the seed it had a good 1.5 inch root going and it already was fishboning. I put it in the room after that with the 20/4 light cycle and it took about day and a half to break the top layer of the coco.

What are you using to dig your hole for your tap root? Maybe the space around the root isn't tight enough so it isn't getting a solid root? I used a ball point pen and put it down with about .5" of coco covering the seed. I water it then gently try to squeeze the coco around the base of the root so it get a good root going. That RapidStart is pretty amazing tho, I'd recommend it.

I just had my first successful clone experience and it was with that Rooting hormone powder into rockwool. I had the rockwool soaking in ph'd water with some grow, micros and that RapidStart and the roots are REALLY thick. I don't think I've seen clone roots this thick before......

Good luck with it all... Hopefully they start growing!!

Attached Files:

3. #23 morange, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    Maybe that could be it, the loose coco. Since my recent bad luck spree with seeds I've been extremely careful with them, so I haven't compacted the soil in any way when I plant. I just use a pencil eraser side to poke down through about half inch or so. I know that my problems have been somewhat related to them not getting a good root, so I'll try to make sure to have it firmly planted. I've always just been worried about damaging the vital root, so I am probably too gently when planting.

Those roots are definitely very healthy and thick! Great clones they should do nicely. Luckily my cuttings are still rooting, and they are in the same environment as my seedlings, so it's gotta be something simple that I'm missing. I'm definitely going to clone the next plant I get growing like crazy though, just to make sure :laughing:.

4. [quote name='"morange"']Maybe that could be it, the loose coco. Since my recent bad luck spree with seeds I've been extremely careful with them, so I haven't compacted the soil in any way when I plant. I just use a pencil eraser side to poke down through about half inch or so. I know that my problems have been somewhat related to them not getting a good root, so I'll try to make sure to have it firmly planted. I've always just been worried about damaging the vital root, so I am probably too gently when planting.

Those roots are definitely very healthy and thick! Great clones they should do nicely. Luckily my cuttings are still rooting, and they are in the same environment as my seedlings, so it's gotta be something simple that I'm missing. I'm definitely going to clone the next plant I get growing like crazy though, just to make sure :laughing:.[/quote]

I really hope that works! Last 3 seeds I've started I have drastically underestimated the amount of CaliMAgic needed to get the coco with enough to not have a deficient seedling for the first week. I had 5ml per this last gallon I mixed but I think for seedlings I'm gonna start at 10ml per gallon.

5. I've been using inert 5.5 ph water, this time I may try a bit of FF big bloom for some micro nutes, as I've started seeds with that in the past.

6. [quote name='"morange"']I've been using inert 5.5 ph water, this time I may try a bit of FF big bloom for some micro nutes, as I've started seeds with that in the past.[/quote]

I think that will help. I've been impressed with that rapid start from GH tho. The roots from that seed were already forming really well!

7. Day 35 from seed for Flash Babylon

It's getting a lot of bulk on the top. Really healthy and happy looking. No smell yet, hairs are starting to show a bit more. I took a pic with a measuring tape to show how big she's gotten. 20 inches now. I don't expect too much more out of her so just getting fat!

Day 10 from see for Critical Kush

Had a cal/mag deficiency it looks like but that's been corrected. New inner growth looks really good. Probably another 10 days or so until ill consider veg officially starting for her. Going 3-4 weeks in veg before the flip and I'm hoping that helps with the stretch and spacing

Attached Files:

8. Day 38 for flash Babylon automatic.

I love it when she's looking happy like this! Growing a lot more than I had thought... Sorta running out of space. It's starting to get hairy!

Day 13 for Critical Kush

Not too much to show.... It's a seedling. Haha. Growing really well and looks good and healthy. All going according to plan!

:smoke:

Attached Files:

9. Ruderalis strains tend to have a pliable stalk, even during budding. So if you have to save some space you can do some LST while it's budding if it's getting a bit too tall. Looks like it's really kicked into flowering now so she should be growing very fast now.

Also, finally I've had some luck with seedlings so far, and believe it or not it was some seeds of my own (phatt fruity x blueberry gum) I threw the beans in just cause I had a few and 2 sprouted :eek:. Never had any of my seeds sprout before, maybe I'll get something neat. Also got a chemdawg and blue dream that have broken the ground. I followed your advice and let them grow 1 inch taproots before placing them in soil, and I planted half inch deep and firmly pressed the soil down, and put bags over the cups for humidity.

10. [quote name='"morange"']Ruderalis strains tend to have a pliable stalk, even during budding. So if you have to save some space you can do some LST while it's budding if it's getting a bit too tall. Looks like it's really kicked into flowering now so she should be growing very fast now.

Also, finally I've had some luck with seedlings so far, and believe it or not it was some seeds of my own (phatt fruity x blueberry gum) I threw the beans in just cause I had a few and 2 sprouted :eek:. Never had any of my seeds sprout before, maybe I'll get something neat. Also got a chemdawg and blue dream that have broken the ground. I followed your advice and let them grow 1 inch taproots before placing them in soil, and I planted half inch deep and firmly pressed the soil down, and put bags over the cups for humidity.[/quote]

The stem of that auto is super thick so I don't think bending or LSTing is an option. No signs of bleaching on the plant and I have the rooms controller about the height of the plant making sure the top stays the correct temp. No signs of stunted growth or anything so I guess we will just see what happens! I'm hoping for 1/2 to maybe 3/4 an ounce on this girl.

Glad the seeds look to be going good so far! That is so frustrating cause you want it to work so badly! I was having issues about a year ago with the same thing. But so far so good! Hopefully they keep on going the way they are!

11. Day 43 for the flash Babylon.

Sorta fucked up. I moved her from the CFLs to the bigger box under my 400 MH bulb. That thing in a 2 gallon smart pot is well over 3 feet tall now. Never imagined it getting that big! But anyways. Grew up into the light while I was at work and so now the top got a little fried. The rest still looks good tho!

Day 18 from seed of the Critical Kush.

Looking really good. Stem is turning nice and green and all the new growth looks solid!

Attached Files:

12. beautiful work :) awaiting yield/flowering results on that babylon.

13. Nice grow. I'm working with 350 watts right now so this is kind of a nice comparison of what I should be able to do. Especially if I add a few more watts.....

I'm more of an outdoor grower at heart and feel out of my element in the indoor grows still.

14. Flash Babylon looks good, how many weeks left, at least by breeders description, 3? That's pretty impressive given 2 gallons. I grew my autos under HID the entire time (only 12/12) in 1 gallon and they grew a foot each. The critical kush looks really nice, great tight nodes and the leaflets are looking real healthy.

My seedlings are finally starting to get somewhere luckily..I appreciate the advice you gave about planting it deeper and firmer, worked!

15. Thanks a lot! I can't wait either. Considering it was a free seed and all so should be good!

16. Thanks!! Never had a real try at out doors. Did an auto but it was all messed up! Yeah, 400 did me good my last grow. I don't have the height I need yet, not for another few months. Can't wait till the new grow room is completed so I can get some really big ones!

17. Glad it's working out better! Says its a 60 day finisher but I'm having my doubts. Finally getting some trichomes but not a significant amount yet. Should see some bulk and more crystals soon!

18. Day 48 for flash Babylon.

Still doin it's thing. Getting fatter and finally started seeing some crystals.

Day 26 for the Critical Kush.

Looking really good. The inner growth is starting to take off. Looks really healthy. I'm going to transplant in a little to a 7 gallon smart pot. Then start SCROG!

Attached Files:

19. Man critical seems to have extremely deep serrated leaflets in it's genes. Those critical kush fan leaves look sharp! Of course they will likely become less pronounced when they get larger, but it reminds me a lot of cheese varieties.

20. That's funny cause I didn't even really notice that until you said something....now it's all I see!! Haha. Interesting what different people look at while viewing the same thing. :smoke: