400 or 1000

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by plumber, Mar 18, 2002.

1. chosen1...

this is no flame,,ok..

I run the same bulbs...SON-T or SON-AGRO,, they burn hot(way to hot to grab bare handed). I have never seen,heard, or installed commercially any HID Bulb,, that you could grab onto while burning...if that could be done....I would tell everyone in cabinet grows to use nothing else. . for that would be ideal......Show Me...

re-read or re-think the low voltage theory....I think you may have misunderstood something..

[​IMG]

2. Although it might be apparent that I do not have a whole lot of experience growing mj, I do have a whole lot of experience with electricity. The fact that bulbs burn hotter when they are starving for voltage is not a theory I have come up with, its a fact. The lower the voltage, with the same resistance, the more amps you draw. The more amps, the more heat, and the higher the bill. As for the fact that my bulbs are cool enough to grab with my hands and your bulbs are not, well I don't think that means my "theory" is wrong. That's the reason I went with a HPS bulb. I coudn't afford to have all the heat in my limited space. When I looked at the set-up on display at my local head shop, the tops of the plants (spearmint) were into the bulbs. And they were not burnt. That's what sold me on HPS. I'm sorry I do not have a digital camera to show you. Good Luck

3. chosen1
    According to what you say,,,if a dimmer is installed on a line to an incandescent bulb,,and dimmed...the bulb will burn hotter because it is starving for electricity? Not true...the heat will build up from the point of resistence,,,back to the power source,,,heating the dimmer switch and the line to the power source..not the bulb.

In the aspect of ballasts,,the ballast is the point of resistence,,it may heat more,,,but again,,,back to the source.

I am an electrician,,,and I have been an HID install/service man for many years....I was not trying to harsh you at all...merely trying to let you know that you were kinda off track to say he "was" suffering from low voltage at the socket..causing the heat problems.

This is why I say if you can actually grab onto that bulb...I am truly impressed....and yes a pic would be great...I mean come on...I could twist a few heads back at the shop,and fellow grow partners..if I could prove it possible somehow..I'm not at all saying you untruthful about your bulb heat,,,just that it would be nice if I had first hand evidence...grow well..peace

[​IMG]

4. I first had my room built in an airplane hanger. It's about a hundred yards from my house. The underground service running up there is 12/2. But the service is fed from my shop which then feeds a cattle barn with a pretty big electric fence charger pulling 24/7. Then it runs a hundred yards to my hanger. When I first hooked up my equipment, the bulb burned a lot hotter. In fact, heat was my main problem. Since then I've relocated the whole shabang. I moved it to of all people, my electrician's shop. Since then the bulb burns cooler and brighter. Now I'm not gonna say that the bulb doesn't get warm. It does, but you really can grab on to it with your bare hands and not burn yourself. My electrican told me I was probably suffering from low voltage where I had everything before. I just didn't understand why the gentleman had his lights 18 inches off the top of the plants. Like I said before, I got mine about an inch and a half off the top of mine. So I'm not gonna say I know more about anything than anybody else, I was just passing along what someone told me. It made sense in my case. I didn't take offense to anything you said to me, I just want you to understand that I only know what I have seen myself. Thank you for your reply, and I wish you the best of luck.

5. Cool.not to offend.I only intended a knowledge swap,,I hope to learn new things daily...or why get out of bed...lol

The electrician was probably very correct ,,but if you ask him ,,I'm sure he was referring to the line voltage. Absolutly that could have been a major factor in your case.The easier the electrons flow,,the cooler the units operation,,unquestionably.

I would still personally...like to grab on to that (cool)bulb for myself..lol

grow well...good luck...

[​IMG]

6. Hey. I had a thought. I got all my equipment from a website in Nova Scotia, Canada. The power box, or what I think I'm correct in calling, transforner is over a foot long, six inches tall and six inches wide. It was shipped from a wharehouse in Montreal. Do you think, maybe, the box I have has something to do with my light burning so cool? I don't know, but FYI, the website is greenwonder.com or greenwondergardening.com They have some killer prices. They are even better when you realize that they are all in Canadian dollars. 145/100. Check it out. I spent about two hour serching the web for the best deal and that's where I landed. I was also going to ask you about how you became a Moderator and how that whole system worked. I gotta admit, I get pretty bored with everything exept racing and making money, and I love this website.