400-600 watt ballast

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hkg13, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Simple question,
    I have a 400 watt setup including a cooltube,
    if I wanted to upgrade to 600 watts do I just need the 600 watt ballast and the bulbs?
    is it compatible with my existing cooltube socket for the bulb,
    Or would I need the whole setup,
    ballast, bulbs, hood or wing with socket

2. just a ballast and bulb. make sure your ballast is compatible with the cool tube, if not just buy a universal connector for like 12 bucks.

3. #3 Hkg13, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You mean the wire connection to the ballast from the tube?

4. U mean the wiring from the cooltube to the ballast?
    Sorry repost

5. yes, if the plugs don't fit each other you can buy a universal adapter online/hydro store, I just bought one for 12 bucks. but if you do a little research on your cool tube you can find out what brands are compatible out of the box.

6. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Cord-Adapter-Hydrofarm-Reflector/dp/B001IQ480S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310754002&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Lamp Cord Adapter - Sun System Ballast to Hydrofarm Reflector: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]
    here is a link to one

7. Thanx,
    I'm getting tired of my 400 watt yields,
    Hoping 600 will much improve it?

8. ^I agree, HPS and MH use a mogul socket regardless of wattage. It's possible the socket is rated for a max wattage, look on the socket itself, but probably the socket can handle up to 1kw. But the plug may not fit so check that out.

Improvement from going 400w to 600w? Hell yeah -- not only are you increasing your wattage by 50%, the 600w is the "sweet spot" for HPS lumens/watt ratio, giving you more lumens per watt than either a 400w or a 1000w. So the 600w will end up giving you 55-60% more light than the 400w.