40 watt reading lamp???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wallywally, Dec 23, 2011.

1. *I tried to post this in the Grow Lights thread section but for some reason I wasn't allowed to* :confused:

My question is simple and I apologize if it is absolutely stupid which it probably is but whatever... Would I be able to grow one small clone, (for one to two weeks before transplanting it outdoors, i live in socal btw) under the power of a 40 watt reading lamp? The lamp would be close to the clone and would mimic the amount of sunlight I get here during the day which is like 12-14hrs.

Thanks all!:D

2. It will keep it alive, yes ... do you have even just one more you could use as well? Cloning process is the most stress you can give a plant. It's best to give it the proper environment to grow correctly. That's a very low wattage light, it would probably be enough, but even using 1 more would make a world of difference

3. If it hasn't rooted yet that light is just fine.... too much light when they have no system for uptake of nutrients will spell the end for un-rooted clones. Once they have roots you could add another light or two which will speed it's growth along. When you say "reading lamp" you mean a CFL right? Incandescent bulbs put out nothing the plant can use so standard bulbs are out.

4. Thanks Maine & Pirate for helping me out. I've thought it over more and figured i'm gonna take a box and wrap the inside with foil, and then place the clone in the box. Ill take the reading lamp I have and replace the Incandescent with a CFL and after a week or two i'll either add another lamp with a CFL or just begin the transplanting process and start getting it adapted to the outside environment. I'am going to be growing this guy out in the wild with natural sunlight so I'm still debating whether to grow it in my closet with the lamps, or to grow it on my roof for a bit and then take it to my guerilla grow spot. Your input??

Thanks again for the help guys!

5. ^Exactly, it's the bulb not the lamp that matters. And even in SoCal I wouldn't plan to put it outside until end of March at the earliest.

6. You might want to slowly introduce natural sunlight over a period of time to your young plant, especially since it's coming from the confines of being lit by a CFL or two. I personally don't have any experience moving them outside, but a very wise person warned me that they can get stressed and sunburned if such a drastic change in PAR takes place. Setting them outside for a couple of hours at a time and increasing the time spent outside will reduce the chances of pissing them off.