40,000 planets could be home to aliens

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Superjoint, Feb 6, 2009.

1. #1 Superjoint, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
    By Ben Leach
    \t\t\t \t\t\tLast Updated: 1:24PM GMT 05 Feb 2009
    \t
    \t \t\t\t[​IMG] \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t
    40,000 planets could be home to aliens \t\t\t\t\tPhoto: GETTY \t\t\t\t
    \t
    Researchers have calculated that up to 37,964 worlds in our galaxy are hospitable enough to be home to creatures at least as intelligent as ourselves.

Astrophysicist Duncan Forgan created a computer programme that collated all the data on the 330 or so planets known to man and worked out what proportion would have conditions suitable for life.

The estimate, which took into account factors such as temperature and availability of water and minerals, was then extrapolated across the Milky Way.

Mr Forgan believes that the life forms would not be amoeba wriggling on the end of a microscope but species at least as advanced as humans.

Mr Forgan, who believes it will take 300 to 400 years for us to make contact with our neighbours, said: "I believe the estimate of 361 intelligent civilisations to be the most accurate.
    "These would certainly be the most Earth-like civilisations but the bigger figures are certainly possible. We can't rule them out.

"Most of the other planets we have looked at are older than our own – so I would expect to see more advanced civilisations than ours existing."

2. *Sigh*...they really still think we're alone here..?

3. yo... "in our galaxy"

you have to be stupid to belive we alone......... the shit out there is big.... REALLLY fucking big

4. too bad I wouldnt be alive to experience this..... *bummer*

5. #5 Peacefullbuddah, Feb 6, 2009
    So there could be (are) younger and olders planets in our solar system . There could be a planet that still has dinosaurs , being younger . And there could be a much older planet , with a highly advanced civilation .

Just imagine a planet that is a couple of hundred years more technologicaly advanced than our own , there would be some insane stuff out there . Or a human civilation that is a few thousand years more advanced , or millions . Also , there could be a human civilation behind a thousand years or so from our own , where it would be similar to how it was on earth many years ago ... like another planet where they are just now in a "bronze age" or something .

If you think about how much we've advanced between 1900-2000 , think about how much it's going to change by 2100 ... we are going to be the old pictures in history books ! :eek:

6. What we must realize is that evolution on one planet isn't the same on another. A few people change the face of a civilization by discovering electricity, etc.

It's not whether a planet is less or more advanced than our own, as we can only determine how advanced our own planet is by the variable of time. The farther along we go on the timeline, the more advanced we become.

But when we introduce a different planet, they evolve in different ways. They might not have the same timeline as our species, advancing in different ways.

Think of each planet as one mind.

Ask 100 people how to solve a problem, and you get plenty of different results.

That's why you really have to use your imagination when thinking about life on other planets.

7. Yeah I agree with that . I guess there would be no 2 planets exactly alike , because like you stated , one small variable could completely alter course .

8. #8 Leapfrog, Feb 6, 2009
  9. Imagine how advanced and intense the marijuana must be over there!:eek:

60% THC lol

10. What's sad, is that humanity may never really know the truth. We may never develop efficient space flight to travel those great distances.

Not saying that it isn't possible, I'm just saying perhaps the technology required is just not available to mankind and never will be.

11. Yeah it's pretty hard to comprehend how far away we are from everything (or actually , how large the universe is and how small we are) . Our galaxy is what , about 100,000 lightyears across . And the speed of light is about 186,000 miles per second . So just to get from one side of our galaxy to the other it would take 100,000 years traveling at a rate of 186,000 miles per second ... mindboggling .

12. the thing is if there is anytype of life in space that means there are guarentead complex alein beings. eaither there is no life or major life!

13. THE UNIVERSE IS JUST A GALAXY, A GRAIN OF SAND IN AN INFINITE BEACH...:smoke:

14. I wouldn't say stupid. Just closed minded!

15. AAAhhh :eek: mindfuck

16. We know for absolute fact that life is possible. Even just within the Milky Way galaxy there are probably quite a few places capable of supporting life, and one that does indeed support life very well.

Then we look off into space and see the seemingly infinite number of galaxies out there. They offer so many possibilities that it becomes extremely hard to comprehend. Which leads me to believe that there is, in all probability, other advanced life and not just very simply life forms.

It's really fun thing to think about, it makes me happy every time I fall into deep thought on the subject...:smoking:

17. #17 redsoxted9, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
    What if life on earth was brought by microscopic organisms in a meteor or something, and that we are related to other colonies of life along the path that that group of meteors followed for thousands of lightyears. My relatives could be trillions of miles away - thats so ballin :D

18. I don't think were going to find an alien race that is technologically superior. My theory is that we will find fossils on other planets when we have the capability, for example mars. But for now we are the rulers of the universe and I would be scared for anyone that we come accross.

Ender's Game and it's series gave a great depiction of alien races and what would happen when the human race encountered it.

19. Sorry man my opinion is much different from yours, we are "The morons of the universe" because well...see below.

[​IMG]