4 Wks Into Flower, Thrips Or Def?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ThinkCreative, Jan 3, 2014.

1. #1 ThinkCreative, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    What type of medium; Coco
    Indoors or outdoors: Indoor
    What strain: Chemdawg
    How old are the plants: Old, had problems in the beginning with thrips, been growing these since Setpember.
    What type of lights and how many watts: LED Hygro HD 1000
    How far from the lights: 1'-6"
    What is your watering frequency and source of water: every 2-4 days, tap
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK: 
    Connoisseur A: 4-0-4
    Connoisseur B: 1-5-6
    Jungle Juice Mirco: 5-0-1
    Botanicare Sweet Original Berry: 1.5% Mg, 2% S
    Natria Neem Oil: spraying top of coco
    Captain Jacks Deadbug with Spinosad: spraying top of soil and watering with
    pH and PPM: 5.6-5.8pH - 1100ppm every other water, 400-600ppm every other water
    What are the temps and humidity in the room: 73º-75º light on, 68º light off
    What size pots: 5 Gallon
    Any bugs? Look real close: Thrips, seem to be controlled but have had them for a long time

So, need up having really bad thrip problems which stunted the growth of my plants for about 1 month when they were clones, finally figured out it was thrips and started using neem and capt. jacks, had them under control, then they started growing crazy fast! Switched over to flower, 3 weeks into it my leaves started looking really bad again, yes there are still thrips but they still seem very controlled. Using Neem and Capt. Jacks still but now since I am flowering I can't spray the buds or I may get mold.

Not sure what to do, it's so early into flowering and now all my leaves look extremely bad. May have to call this one quits :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Here are some pictures, I was able to use my microscope and my iPhone to take a close up of the n-spots on my leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Thought maybe it was a Cal-Mg def so today I watered with both nutes and Cal-Mg @5.8pH and 900PPM

3. Doesnt look like thrips to me. If u didnt say thrips I would never have guessed u had a thrips problem

4. Well I can still see some thrips so that's why I mentioned it. As I said, think I have been able to maintain them. Next grow I'm going back to soil I think. This coco is very reactive to small changes, we shall see. I'll try to get the pH up a bit and hope that fixes a few things, I know the burn won't go away but I hope it doesn't get worst. I'm assuming this is going to have an impact on my crop :(

Thank you both for the replies!

You'll be okay, as long as you get it sorted... yield will be good and potency will knock you out, wait and see. Oh, I did Coco as well for a while, that's why I'm a soil guy with indoor cultivation.

6. #7 DCTR Greenthumb, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    Looks and sounds like the buggers my girls had not so long ago. I did have a thrips problem, had them evaporated with spinosad, but was left with larvae (light colored, dust size larvae and eggs) all over, spinosad ineffective against them and the eggs.

Got rid of these larvae at 95% with a 1 1/2 dose of neem oil mixed in lukewarm water and drop of Palmolive dish soap. I then sprayed again with safer's premixed insecticidal soap, dripping wet. Not a sign of them, nice clean plants and looking strong.

The only major difference is, I was a week after clone was rooted, very young stage of veg. Don't know a lot about the safer's soap, but neem can be used right up till the last 2 weeks of budding. If used afterwards the taste will be affected.

neem really seems to keep the numbers down low, if not all of them.

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1266819-larvae-infestation-solved.html

DCTR Greenthumb

7. Yeah I'm still not quite sure. They don't seem to be improving but I know it takes time. Only reason I think it may be the thrips is because the plants progression of growth has slowed down quite a bit and I know there are still thrips in the coco. But this could also be because of a deficiency. Going to water again tomorrow with cal-mg, my nutes, micro, neem, and spinosad. I will post the results.

Only thing is, in the past few days, more and more leaves have been falling off and the spots on the leaves have been getting worst.

8. #9 ThinkCreative, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    So the plants have steadily gotten worst and now all the leaves are basically dead. I've kept the ph at 5.8 but no luck. Not quit sure what to do since they only have about a month left. Feel like they are worthless now, the buds still look okay but aren't really growing much either

9. Time to do a fresh transplant, you have no other choice, it seems.

10. #11 rain dancer, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Look into root aphids. Just lost my first grow ever. Thought it was a cal/mag def, then started seeing brown spots.

Were almost dead 10 days later so I chopped them.

They are white, look like dust to the naked eye and they are becoming an epidemic in the mmj community. There are also a lot of different species of root aphids.

They are showing up in clones, coco, and fox farm soils. A lot of people think theyre predator mites but theyre not....read this thread to see if similar. Heres my thread.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1259666-root-aphids-thread-identify-destroy.html

I used captain jacks, spinosad, pyrethrin, cold pressed neem, neem concentrate with lemon/citrus, and finally as a last resort, bayer tree and shrub. Nothing had any effect on the bugs whatsoever.

Edit, also, my leaves started falling off, plants slowed and almost stopped growing, dying from the bottom up. The leaves died so fast i was picking most of them off every couple days.

I also thought i might have fungus gnats since thats what the adults basically look like, nope, was root aphids. When you start researching around youll find conflicting info. Threads get locked at the end on various forums with mods typing in capitals, theres no way to beat root aphids.

Theyre supposedly responsibly for a few human plagues throughout history.

11. Doesn't look like aphids, I've looked super close with my mag @x80 and can't seem to see any type of movement, eggs, or larva. My roots seem strong; to the point that they are growing millimeters away from the top of the coco.

I know it's hard to see much with the led light on but this will give you an idea of how far along the buds are, and how dead the plants seem to be :(

Attached Files:

12. So I guess I'm just going to keep them going for another few weeks even though they are dying, mine as well finish the session

13. #14 mmman, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    I wish you had done a fresh transplant, even in flower. I did it a couple times in some of my experiments, and the girls and boys didn't show even diminutive drooping or issues that lead me to believe it was set back in anyway except possibly a few more days of flowering. I've done it with plants in veg also. I would wash the root-ball, gently massage the roots with my hand and wash away all the medium, and replant fresh... it works. If you ever get in that position again, don't hesitate, you'll see what I'm conveying. Your plants finally succumbed to multiple nutrient lock-out, no doubt. Sorry Bud, but I still believe you'll get a lively smoke. Now, having said that, go here and read in it's entirety... http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Fertilizing-Smart-Guide

14. Thanks man, I should have transplanted to begin with you are totally right. Would it be better to clip off the dead leaves now so they don't make the smoke harsh?

15. I would start flushing and let them sit in the dark for about 72 hrs and see if there's enough life in them to push out a bit more trichome activity.

16. You could take the scissors to her if you want, she'll at least look a bit better, but I don't think it will help nor hurt the smoke if you don't at this point.

17. Well they have only been in flower since December 7th, so this upcoming Saturday will be the start of the 7th week. I believe I still have at least two more weeks, the trichomes are a bit cloudy and very few are amber. I think I'm going to clip the super dead leaves off and leave everything else that may be useful to the plants within the next few weeks! Thanks again for the feedback man, can't wait to go back to soil haha, thinking of doing a mix next time!

18. Lots of times I'll chop when see just a few amber thrichs and mostly cloudy to get the Sativa quality out of most hybrids, I prefer it that way.

19. Well unfortunately today they are looking like they are almost completely on their way out, I really don't want to harvest 2 weeks early but it's looking like I may have too