4 police officers killed in grow-op raid.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Zeppelin Joint, Mar 5, 2005.

1. http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1109977760918_105386960?hub=topstories

A day after four of its members were shot and killed during a marijuana grow-op raid on an Alberta farm, the RCMP is fending off questions about whether the officers were properly equipped.

The slain officers, wearing soft body armour and equipped with handguns, were up against a suspect carrying a rapid fire, high-powered rifle.

During a Friday afternoon press conference, RCMP Supt. Marty Cheliak said "we don't have any other armour available to us . . . other than the soft body armour."

Asked if this was an issue, Cheliak replied "no," but conceded that the soft armour is inadequate protection against a weapon as powerful as the one the suspect was carrying.

RCMP Cpl. Wayne Oakes said the RCMP is equipped with heavier protective gear and powerful weapons such as .308 caliber rifles and 12 gauge shotguns, but that those arms are only used in circumstances that are "justified."

When asked if Thursday's scenario could have called for the use of such arms, Oakes replied, "Not at the onset."

He added that the armour the Mounties wore on that fateful Thursday would protect them from small arms fire, and from .22 caliber rifles and shotguns, depending on the range, "But when you get much beyond that . . in order for an officer to have body armour protect them against the type of firearms that was involved there, we would be totally immobile."

Gunman a 'walking time bomb'

Police have identified James Roszko as the gunman, who died from what's believed to be self inflicted gunshot wounds.

Court documents show Roszko, 46, had a long criminal history including impersonating a police officer, sexual assault, unlawful confinement, obstruction of justice, and assault with a weapon, to name a few.

He's been described by the community and family members as a "devil" and a "walking time bomb."

Roszko's mother, Stephanie Fifield, told CTV News on Friday that it wasn't the grow operation that first brought the RCMP to the farm, but a dispute over a pickup truck.

Roszko had purchased the new Ford truck which he kept inside the Quonset hut. Fifield said her son discovered a dented tailgate, and took the issue up with the dealer.

"They were going to fix it, but they wouldn't put an endgate on it," said Fifield. "So (James) said 'OK, I won't bother putting in any more payments.'" She said the police were then sent in to take the truck from her son.

The RCMP confirmed that the first officers on the scene were armed with a court order to repossess the truck, and were only acting as backup for the sheriff's office.

"The civil order wasn't necessarily for stolen property. It was to recover property," said Oakes.

But when the two officers entered the large metal Quonset hut on Wednesday, they stumbled upon the grow-op and stolen property.

They then left the premises and obtained a search warrant, and at 4:30 a.m. MT Thursday, two officers entered the property to secure it.

Just before 9 a.m. M.T., they were joined by two other officers, as well as two members of the Edmonton RCMP auto theft unit at 9:15 a.m. M.T.

Then, suddenly, shots were fired inside the hut. Officers remaining on the road took cover.

By the time the shots died down, none of the police on the property were responding to their radios.

And about five hours after the shots were fired, at 2:18 p.m. MT, an RCMP team burst onto the property and found the bodies of four dead officers, along with that of Roszko.

In addressing the time lag between the shooting and the discovery of the bodies, the RCMP said the emergency response team had to treat the site as a lethal environment until it could be declared safe.

Roszko was the youngest in a large family, and his troubled life led others in the family to stay away from him.

Roszko's father Bill described his son as "a wicked devil" who had a lifetime hatred for police. He said James had an angry streak as far back as he can remember.

"Because of the drugs, you know, and the bad company with bad boys," he told CTV's Edmonton affiliate CFRN.

"I don't want to have him as my son for what he was like and the way things ended up. He is not my son."

James's sister Josephine, who identified his body, said her brother wasn't the monster others believed him to be. "He had a good heart and he never hurt us in any way," she told CFRN.

Although sources say Roszko shot himself, Cheliak says a medical examiner will determine how he died.

He says the police investigation will take several days as they use forensic experts at the scene, talk to witnesses and look into the background of the gunman.

2. well if mary was legal, these coppaz wouldnt have been gunn'd down and lost there life

i really dont no what else to say ....

3. Power abuse; Authority misuse
    They kill and rape
    And it won't be on the news
    But you're the good one
    With the badge and a gun
    Braggin' how you blasted
    Gunshot forty-one

Policia
    Line up on the wall
    Policia
    Caged animals
    Policia
    Kill and lie some more
    Policia
    Conspiracy to cage the poor

One dead cop
    No more donut shop
    More dead cops
    Might make the hurting stop
    Kill cops [7x]

Policia
    Line up on the wall
    Policia
    Caged animals
    Policia
    Kill and lie some more
    Policia
    Conspiracy to cage the poor

One dead cop
    No more donut shop
    More dead cops
    Might make the hurting stop
    Kill cops [7x]

I never took such pleasure in a death
    A hatred born of freedom's dying breath
    The police kill and then they lie some more
    In a conspiracy to cage the poor

4. No, this guy was fucking crazy.

You can't blame prohabition on this once you've heard the whole story about this guy. This guy is about as gun crazy cop hating as you can get, no one would kill 4 cops a day after their cop being raided. I think the circumstances were perfect for him becasue their were 4 cops their with no back up just waiting their for the grower to show.

It's really sad. One cop was only on the force for 2 weeks. Now this guy probably fucked up the Bill that might have made Canada annother country with the de-criminalization of Marijuana. :mad: FUCK HIM AND DAMN HIM :mad:

5. ah shit
    i didnt read the whole thing, damnet.
    my bad.
    yea that is sad now that i read it

6. Ahh and I live 15 minutes from where this guy lives. :devious:

7. take that ya basteds

8. "take that ya basteds" Um....I really hope your not talking about the cops. If so your a fucking dipshit. Yeah there cops, but theyre people and they have families to.

9. Dam, some of you guys have messed up perspective of the value of human life. That guy was insane, and we should all be pissed off at him. Psychos like him give mary jane a bad name.

10. I hope that everyone can see the true problem here: insane killers with illegal firearms and ammunition. It's unfortunate that unsanctioned business is sometimes the realm of societal rejects. It's too bad that the repercussion may hinder the legalization effort. I hate cops too but it's sad to see men die for no reason :confused: :mad:

11. ^so because they wanted to do a job they liked to provide for their families then in your eyes they deserved to die?

c'mon people, we hate them yeah, i mean they bust on us, but they're human beings. them taking our pot doesn't justify murder. wise up people

12. yea man saying they deserve to die is just fucking stupid, mj isnt the most important thing in life and they probably do more to help you than youll ever know. Ide rathe rhave cops and jane be illegal forever than no cops and an abundance of the herb, even though it sounds nice it wouldnt work with fuckin gun crazy phycos running around.

13. here here

14. i am stunned by this thread. The comments people have made like 'Good there dead' or ' the deserve to die', that totaly discusted me i cant belive that anybody would want that on anybody they have never met and know nothing about.

15. I actually feel really bad for the families of the 4 cops.. I also feel bad that all this is associated with green, which just makes it all the worse./

16. Some of these comments are terribly disrespectful. Wishing death on someone simply because of the type of work they chose isn't the type of values these boards were built on. Show some respect. It's people that say things such as some of what was deleted that give all marijuana smokers a bad rap.

17. I agree totally so they are cops it's there job they have families and are people just like you and me there is no reason to wish death upon anyone because of their job i dont like most cops but its not because of their jobs and i only dislike cops that constantly harass people who smoke pot but i would still never want them dead

18. The DEA and agencies like it used this as an example to show how serious the marijuana grow-op problem really is. They will tighten the boarders and do changes like that becasue of one crazy guy, but still with thousands of gun deaths in the US every year, you can go to your local pawn shop and pick up a high powered assult rifle and then go to the local Walmart and stock up on ammo for your rampage.

I think your gun laws are way to relaxed if anyone can go and pick up a gun and ammo and over power a few squad cars.

19. tis' true that the gun laws do allow some criminals to get their hands on guns... but i find it funny that everyone blames in on the guns... personally I love shooting... a 1" group from 100yards gives you a great sense of pride... yes I own a rifle or two... im not gonna go on a fuckin rampage and kill random people or cops just cause im a gun owner now am i? yes its true that some people do, but the percentage of people out of all gun owners is far to small to justify banning firearms... I mean shit, look at how many people die in car accidents every year... are we gonna ban cars too?

it is too bad that 4 people had to lose their lives (ok 5, but fuck him) but thats just an irresponsible gun owner, wo judging from his criminal record, must have bought the gun from a private party, seeing as how a background check is required to buy a gun from a sporting goods store, pawn shop, or from a magazine... and to buy from gun shows requires an membership ID, and to get that id a background check is required...

and even if that guy wasnt growing the cops would have still been there for the truck and he still probably would have snapped...

case in point: dont blame the pot or the guns..

20. those of u who are saying the cops got what they deserved or good riddance bs like that, remember its not the cops who are crooked and make the laws, its the people above them in the higher government that are crooked. not the cops. The cops are just doing there jobs. the only time i dont like cops is when they give me a 250.00 ticket for going 110 in a 55. thats just evil.