4 plants in 1 tube

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by KenWood, Aug 20, 2010.

1. I made a tube system that has 4 plants in it. Works great except once in awhile one of the plants will get sick and die or almost die. Leaves goes right to yellow

Attached Files:

2. That plant was the best looking one in that tube now it is gone. DAMN Nothing from anyone

3. So ... what kind of system is that? NFT? DWC? Aero?
    They look stand alone - no nute sharing between units?
    What do you use for nutes? water?
    What is the pH, PPM / EC
    You built that yourself? Got any plans :)

4. Basically it is Aero, using Lucas Formula nothing else. Water and the PH is at 6, water temp is 77. PPM is usually around 1400 to 1560. The bottom tube is 23.4 gallons.

5. And all the plants in a given tube die?
    And not the same tube?
    Are those things getting a good disinfect between grows?
    'Caus it sure sounds like something infecting one of the tubes
    Given that the solution chem is the same tube to tube.

6. The tubes are cleaned with hot water and bleach and then they sit for 2 days I made 48 tube systems this way when veggies are done after 21 days they are moved down to the flower room 12 tubes per cycle. Nope only one plant dies in a tube not all 4. This is what not making any sense to me. the last crop of 48 plants I had 2 that died. But it was still a decent harvest (17lbs). All the tube get the same Lucas formula.

7. great looking system man. + rep for originality in design. Since its only 1 plant per tube im wondering if youre not having some sort of root competition/domination thing going on. If one root system is big and gets too aggressive it can spread too far into the roots of the other plants and begin to get choked out from both sides. Are all the plants that died in the middle or between two plants? Have you checked the root structure when you removed it? Maybe all your other factors check out with nutes and watering cycles but its just as simple as over competitive roots and plants that big being too close together. It may not have to happen on every grow. Some plants are naturally more aggressive than others by nature, even of the same strain/brand.

8. Thanks for the comp.. Plants are spaced out at 32 inches apart with an 8 inch Dia tube. Checked roots no fighting but some of the roots go into the reservoir (sp. sucks). I do not have an airline in the res. but the pump is 1200gph and I have 20 drain holes so the water is constant moving. I wonder if putting an airline in the res would help any.

9. airline in the rez would not be a bad idea. More bubbles cant hurt.

Good luck.