4/20 March on Washington

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IamHIGH, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Hello all, I believe that one of the most important and significant things that we can do to get the truth out and to raise awareness would be a march/rally on the national mall in Washington D.C. I also believe that 4/20 would be the perfect date for such a rally, although I would be happy to hear other suggestions and opinions. Below is a rough first draft of my proposal and arguments, and I would gladly accept revisions, edits, and additions. If this comes through and makes it all the way to reality, I will be thrilled. I also believe that in order to convince the public that prohibition must end, we must show them explicitly how and why prohibition is a failed policy which ruins countless lives.

With support for legalization at an all-time high, but with the recent 2010 electoral defeats, it is crucial that awareness be raised and the truth be spread. It is incredibly important that people realize the horrifying affront to our freedoms that is marijuana prohibition, and that the facts be explained so that people are free to make an informed decision on the topic. The common knowledge about marijuana is incorrect and mostly a remnant of propaganda ranging from 1920's Reefer Madness to the Reagan Era War on Drugs. The misinformed public continues to stand by and allow lives to be ruined and resources to be wasted chasing and prosecuting minor marijuana charges rather than putting violent criminals behind bars.
    REASONS FOR LEGALIZATION:
    -Legalizing Marijuana would allow officers of the law to focus on catching violent offenders, and would lessen the burden on our overflowing penal system.
    -Marijuana is safer to use than either alcohol or tobacco, both widely and legally used for recreational purposes. In addition, there is no evidence supporting the so-called "gateway theory" which claims that marijuana is a stepping stone to harder drugs.
    -Studies based on decriminalization show that less intense drug laws do not lead to increased use, and while legalization would no doubt increase demand, this effect would be nominal and it would actually be more difficult for minors to access marijuana, unlike the current situation where teenagers regularly claim that it is easier for them to get marijuana than alcohol.
    -Criminal laws do not deter use of illegal drugs, rather they drive that use underground. The prohibition of marijuana incriminates a substantial minority of the American population based on an activity that has no harm towards others, in fact the most dangerous thing about using marijuana is that it can break up families and cause the loss of jobs for those who are arrested on felony charges simply for the possession for personal use of marijuana.
    See more specific data and reasons at: Marijuana Decriminalization Talking Points - NORML