3x3 Tent Reboot

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by awakenbake, Sep 21, 2021.

1. #1 awakenbake, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Hey all! It's been awhile since I did any gardening but I'm getting back into it.

Putting together the following:
    -AgroMax 3x3 (39" x 39" x 79") tent
    -GrowBright 6" exhaust fan (424CFM) *yes I realize this is probably overkill but will turn down with controller*
    -Either a 6" junior or tall boy carbon scrubber (concerned about limited plant height so will be opting for exhausting at a higher CFM from the bottom versus out the top)
    -Mars Hydro FC4800 LED light (480 watts) [dimmable driver]

I have a few questions about what I can do with this setup. Currently haven't decided on genetics but was hoping to do something sativa dominant like Sour Diesel or Blue Dream--my concerns are about plant height towards the end of flower. For any saying this is too much, please know I chose these items with the intention that I will one day bump up to a 4x4.

I am a medical patient and legally allowed to cultivate up to four plants in my state.

Questions:
    1. For my space/wattage/ventilation, what is the max number of plants for which I should aim?
    2. Given #1, what size containers should I end up transplanting to ultimately? (Opting for some flavor of soil gardening)
    3. Any cultivars that are more on the sativa side but not enormous once we go 12/12? (I realize LST/scrog will most likely be required)
    4. Any meters that are not super expensive but not entry level either? (TDS, PH, light meter)

Additionally, I still need to think about what I will do as far as water reservoir, RO setup?, nutes, etc... I know I need all new meters (TDS, PH, light meter).

Appreciate any input - thanks!

2. 2 to 3 plants in a 3x3 4 plants are tight and just grow over each other same with 3 but less. I run a 6in ac Infinity in my 3x3 veg tent, 8 inch Infinity in my flowering 4x4
    All sativas are going to stretch well just have to use super cropping and trellis

3 gallons for a 3x3 / 5 to 7 for 4x4 depending on plant count one plant you can run a 15 gallon In 4x4, or 2 5 gallons in 3x3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. So in your opinion, a sativa is doable? One of the other strains I was considering was LA Confidential but that looks to be tall as well.

4. Just because you grow in a tent doesn't mean you have to grow shorter bushier indica's.

5. Yeah, I don't know why I have it in my head like anything taller is not doable haha. Will just take more planning and training I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heat rises, so you want your filter high preferably.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The heat rising has little effect in a tent with an oscillating fan.
    To save ceiling space I now set fan/filter on the floor and vent thru a bottom tent porthole.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I previously have always vented from the top but I figure if the draw is strong and I have something blowing on the plants/light, it would work like you said. :smoke:

I would ideally like to grow something like Sour Diesel. Tried a cart of Durban Poison and liked that as well. Will decide on a variety soon.

Any input on meters? (TDS, PH, light)

9. #9 GroBuddy, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    I use blue lab

The only way heat doesn't matter as long as you have a oscillating fan is if you're using low wattage lights. I run a ROI-e720 in my 4x4 if my inline fan was on the floor my temps would probably be above 95 or 100°. Leaf temps at canopy get up to 84 now. Which is fine using LEDs but I wouldn't want it any higher.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sativa doesnt really mean anything these days. Everything is crossed, no genetics are even close to pure. You could fit 4 plants in a 3x3 but you may have to do some aggressive branch removal if it gets to crowded. 5 gallon fabric pots or one 20 gallon fabric pot with all 4 plants in it. (i prefer the one big pot). Tap water is fine for most, unless you have chloramine in it then you need a special filter for it. Check amazon for meters, they have cheap TDS and LUX meters. I wouldnt worry to much about PH in soil. I dropped the big bucks on a ph meter and i havent touched it in 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have fans on floor, and my main problem is tents too cool.
    Trial and error is the best proof.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I think I need to test my water to be sure. Last cycle I had some issues but would need a TDS to confirm.

I was thinking about 3 or 4 in 5 gallon fabric pots

13. Yeah i would do 4. If you run out of space, remove the worst of the 4.

14. Okay so I've decided on genetics... ordered Feminized Green Crack seeds from Nirvana. Also ordered Sour Diesel as well but that will be saved for next Spring outdoors. Nirvana threw in Moroccan Beldia which is supposed to be a landrace strain used for hash--although I'm confused because the THC is between 2-5% (probably my own ignorance... please educate me!)

Looking to do an organic grow and just maintain/feed the microbes. I think I'm going to go with FFOF and maybe mix it with something like Roots Organic. That being said, I have a few questions with this "style" of grow:
    1. Is a pH meter needed for the soil as well? (I am going to pickup something for pHing my water from BlueLab.)
    2. Is a TDS meter needed for organic grows? (If I'm brewing compost teas or using seaweed/kelp vs standard bottled nutes)

Appreciate any insight that can be given--thanks!

15. No to either of the meters. If you're not using bottle nutrients you don't need to check either. However using liquid nutrients is still a readily available nutrient for the plants not the microorganisms that you need to feed in an organic grow. Once your organic material has been depleted from the soil and you start a feeding regiment you will probably need to ph. As you'll be feeding the plants not the microbes. Both are always good tools to have incase a issue arises.

16. Yeah, it'd be good to have in case I need to troubleshoot and I can use it if I eventually dabble with DWC.

Forgot to mention, I'm thinking about getting an RO system. Checked the water quality in my area and they use fluoride and there's also sodium in small quantities. No chloramine or chlorine that I saw.

17. I bought an expensive under the sink ro system and used it for several years where I live the ppm of my tap is 7 to 800. If you dont use a ro system you either have to purchase your water from a water company or buy it from a water dispensary for 25 cents a gallon. I've since started using a boogie blue filter. No issues with contaminates.

18. It's been a while since I posted and wanted to provide an update as well as ask for some advice (attached pics are from this past Thursday).

We are running Nirvana's Green Crack in FFOF with 5ml/gal of BluePlanet Nutrient's Liquid Seaweed for waterings.

The light (Mars Hydro FC4800) was set at 16in above the seedlings at 25% on the dimmer switch. Noticed some yellow/whitening leaves from tip inward (on some of them) and no browning or curling. I diagnosed this as light stress - guessing the PPFD is too high for the plants at this stage. Moved the light up to around 23-24in and kept the 25% dimming settings. The pics are from a few days ago where I watered again with aerated tap water and liquid seaweed. This seemed to fix the leaf discoloration on a few of them but the center plant is still not bouncing back--I expect new growth to look different than the old/affected growth.

Looking for any insight on what may be happening and how to adjust for this.

Other information that may or may not be helpful:
    -Waterings are taking place every 3-4 days
    -The same mixture was used and shaken up (pH rising each time; 6.4, 6.7, and most recently 7.0)

IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5472.JPG IMG_5473.JPG IMG_5474.JPG IMG_5475.JPG

19. Your setup is very similar to mine. Exact size tent but i run 600w hid.

I use to run 5 gallon then 7 and now 10 gallon pots, 4 of them. Yes it's tight but it can be done. Go from solo cup to 1 gal to 3 gal to 10 gal and you will never need to fertilize except for 4 weeks after your last transplant.

Towards the end of flower ocean forest tends to run acidic. When my runoff creeps below 6.0 i begin adding ag or dolomite lime at 1/2 tablespoon per gal of soil in the water and water in.

Also use tap water if it's good or tap water mixed with distilled so you don't get ca deficiency. Also add epsom salt or MgSO4 at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water at mid veg to prevent Mg deficiency.

Ocean forest is great just don't over over fertilize

• Like Like x 1
  20. So you think it's a nute deficiency? I noticed the pH of the water rising just from sitting in the container I have it in. Watered again yesterday with the same 5ml/gal of liquid seaweed pHed down to 6.5. I want to rule out light stress at this point since the tallest plant is having no issues but not sure.

Other update is that the low humidity is causing a high VPD so I purchased a humidifier to try and get the transpiration rate back in an ideal place for early veg. Hopefully it ships quickly.