3x Gorilla Glue ORGANIC Comparison Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 918AutoGrower, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Gorilla Glue update! At day 8, all is well. Two more days, and they will go into their 5-gallon fabric pots to begin the comparison grow. They seem to really like the fluorescent light I have them under. I'm really glad that I purchased it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Transplanting my Gorilla Glue autos was a smashing success. Let the comparison grow BEGIN!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. subbed, happy growing

• Like Like x 1
  4. #24 918AutoGrower, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    I put this little video together to show how easy it is to transition into 100% organic growing without having to add any nutrients. Can you imagine....only having to water from seed to harvest?

I worked out a deal with the owner of Nature's Living Soil for everyone on the forum. If you guys want to purchase some of their soil concentrate(s), he setup an eBay listing that is 15% OFF the regular price just for us (forum people). And of course you'll still get free shipping. Here is the listing on eBay: Extra 15% off - 15% off for Autoflower Concentrate - eBay Nature s Living Soil

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gorilla Glue autos are looking good. I can't wait for them to explode and start flowering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. I am very glad that I started these in solo cups, because they wouldn't be this far along if I would have started them in their finishing containers. I will never do that again. I'm sold on this instatransplant pot method. They didn't skip a beat....absolutely zero transplant shock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. I usually start mine in their finishing pots. You use an interesting method that seems like it works really well. Is there any reasoning behind it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have noticed that when I start my seeds out in their finishing containers (3-gallon and 5-gallon fabric pots), they don't seem to get the same "jumpstart" that my seedlings get compared to when I start them in Solo Cups or something close to that size and then transplant.

If this wasn't true, then I think everyone would simply start their seeds in their finishing containers and never transplant.

Seedlings are only good in a Solo Cup for a week.....maybe 9 days at the most. I feel like 10 is pushing it. The taproots on my Gorilla Glue autos were coming all the way out the sides and were very close to the bottom (about an inch and a half away).

Hey — I could be wrong here, but it's just something that I have noticed since I started growing autos. Every time I start them in their finishing containers, it's like watching paint dry — boring! You barely see any growth at all. In the Solo Cups, they are bigger every day.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I hear ya! I might give it a try. Cause i do think it helps early growth to some extent. Plus it would make things easier for the first week imo.

My only concern would be the bottom of the solo cup preventing the Taproot and roots in general from going further down. Just cause I've had girls that have a thick ass 8 inch long main root that is super thick go straight down. Or is there a way you remove the cup? Not trying to pick apart and critisize your process lol I'm interested in how everyone else does things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. The bottom of the insta-transplant pot has the bottom cut out as well. For 8 or 9 days, you grow the seedling in the cup that has the sides and the bottom cut out, which is placed inside another Solo cup that has drain holes in the bottom. When it comes time to transplant, just make sure your soil is moist / wet so the grow medium sticks together relatively well, and just pull it out and place it in the cavity you make in your finishing container. Make sense? I'm not limiting my plants to only grow their roots out the sides of the cup. The key is to leave only enough material on the cup to support itself when it is full of grow medium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pretty nice buds:gc_rocks:

12. Do you have a guess as to why your solo cups would out perform planting directly into the final pot?

To me, it seems like there would be no benefit other than you are able to better control the water with the solo cup the first few days.
    Do you use a different mix in the solo cup?

The one issue I have with this method is that you are putting a non-organic cup into an organic soil. Makes me wonder if the same could be achieved in a more organic way.
    Maybe something like this that will break down over time so you can reuse the soil (thinking no-till):
    https://m.ecoproductsstore.com/greenstripe_cold_cups.html

13. I'm pretty sure that the roots in a solo cup does not take as long to fill in because it doesn't take long for the tap to get to the bottom of it..which helps for the first 10 days probably just kill growth then when they are in the fabric pots they already are pretty established..it helps prevent transplant shock he is saying I think

14. I'm pretty sure that the roots in a solo cup does not take as long to fill in because it doesn't take long for the tap to get to the bottom of it..which helps for the first 10 days probably just kill growth then when they are in the fabric pots they already are pretty established..it helps prevent transplant shock he is saying I think

15. I do not use a different soil mixture in the solo cup than the base media that I use in my larger pots that the solo cups go into. That's probably a good way to induce the wrong kind of stress on an auto flowering plant. IMO, when transplanting, you want to have the same soil / growing medium in the larger pot that you also have in the solo cup. The concentrated organic amendments in the soil that will feed the plant through veg and flowering are at the bottom of the larger pot(s).

I fail to see how using a Solo cup in organic soil is any different than using any other plastic pot when growing in organic soil. I looked at the clear "recycled" cup that you suggested. I'm all for recycling, but you don't want to grow in a clear container. It isn't good for the roots.

FlexedDabs is correct on the one point when it comes to starting seeds in solo cups — they are much easier to water when the plants are small when compared to starting seedlings in larger containers. When you water the soil in a Solo cup, you pretty much know when 100% of the grow medium has been saturated, but don't necessarily know when you have watered enough or properly in the larger container, especially when growing organically. When growing organically with a soil concentrate full of amendments, you don't want to water to runoff like you would if you were growing in regular soil (such as FoxFarms Ocean Forest or CocoLoco, etc). When you water to runoff in organic soil that is full of amendments, you are flushing those amendments out of the bottom of your pot, which obviously isn't good.

But watering isn't my primary reason for starting my autos in Solo cups. I probably didn't explain this very well in my earlier posts, so I'll try to simplify it. All I'm saying is if you take two seeds....plant one of them in a solo cup and the other in a 5-gallon container....and even though both the large and the smaller container both have the exact same grow medium, within the first 7-10 days, the seedling in the Solo cup will display more top growth and root development than the seedling in the larger pot will. And when you are growing on a clock that is counting down from a predetermined number of days (depending on the strain), you have to find ways to maximize plant growth in every stage of development if you want to achieve maximum yield from your autos. The method I'm using where the insta-transplant pot is planted directly into the final finishing pot is the best way to do this without having to transplant your autos and risking transplant shock, which will most certainly stunt their growth and development.

I hope that makes sense.

16. Thanks for the info 918AutoGrower!
    I'm not arguing with you in the least, just trying to learn. I have seeds going in at the beginning of August and want to make sure I give my girls the best chance. I've never grown an auto before.

Regarding the clear cup, I was using that as an example of a biodegradable/compostable container. You could still use a solo cup as the drainage second cup to block light, just replace the solo cup that is going in the soil with the compostable cup. This is more for me as I am going no-till and will be reusing my soil for multiple years and don't want a bunch of plastic mucking it up.

Are you reusing your soil or do you just dump it after the grow?

The other side of this coin is Loki125. I'm pretty sure he goes right into the soil with his seed and that dude pulls mad yields. I was watching your last journal with the C4 and saw them just stop growing, so now I'm torn. When you yanked them out, did they have much of a root ball? Any pics of roots? I have read that for the first couple weeks the autos do a lot of root growth and then explode above ground.

Thanks again!

17. Dude when I pulled them out, they had like 2 or 3 skinny strings for roots.....they looked more like white hairs from a dog. They barely had roots at all! I did end up putting them in 3-gallon fabric pots after they recovered in solo cups for two weeks. That’s when I used my instatransplant cup/pots for the first time. You can see in these pictures...these 2x C4 autos are both 35 days old as of today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, you can see my motivation for wanting to try a different method.

The purple bullet that I just finished up....that was my first auto grow. I planted it in a 5-gallon bucket (the finishing container). I remember posting and asking everyone if it was normal to see such slow growth in the first 3 weeks....because I thought that autos grew FAST (a common misconception). I was told by several growers that slow growth in the beginning is expected if you plant the seed in your finishing container as opposed to starting it in a Solo cup. Since then, I have done some experimenting as well as spend some time on autoflower.net. There are a ton of very talented growers pulling serious weight on their autos, and they all start their auto seeds in smaller containers and transplant by modifying the pot/cup and simply placing it directly into the finishing container so as to not shock the plant.

I’m a relatively new grower, but so far from my experience(s), I have determined that starting them out in solo cups and transplanting them the way that I did is much better. I may not understand 100% of the horticultural science behind it but I don’t need to in order to know that it’s better....AND it makes the first 2 1/2 weeks of the grow much more exciting.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah, people have said the same thing to me when I asked why my seedlings weren't getting bigger over the course of 2 weeks. It sucks. That's my least favorite part of growing — the first 2 weeks when you are growing from seed lol

19. I dig your style, man. Your thought process is meticulous and logical. I'm learning a shit ton just by hanging out here so thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. That is an amazing compliment, man. Thank you for that.

• Like Like x 1