3gal vs 5

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Patricia Clemons, Dec 3, 2018.

1. #1 Patricia Clemons, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Hellos!

So i bought a tent kit, everything came besides the tent. They gave me a few 3gal fab pots.

Soil grow, ffof
    What do you guys think of this, the grow space will be a 4x4, about 78” high using 600wHID lighting.

I was keen on growing in fives as for plant growth and less salt holding. This will be my first grow, was hoping for some insight in the matter.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. IMO, I'd go with 5 minimum for the final pot. I usually go from solo cup to 3gal, then to my final pot. I use 7 and 10 gal pots. I also veg for a while. The bigger the root, the bigger the fruit. That's also growing in organic soil. No nutes. Coco/perlite you could get away with 3's. Good luck.

3. #3 Patricia Clemons, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    i read that the roots go down just over a foot even on bigger plants, so wider pots are better, no clue if this is true. Regular 5gal should suffice for me.

I can start them in little cupsies, put into 3gal fabrics, then maybe drill holes in those plastic 5 gals and flower them there.

When do you final pot them? A week before the flip?

Edit: I should add that the kit came with a trellis which i believe is a scrog
    Will be reading on when to begin that.

May top 1 plant, dont want to top them all and kill them!! worries

4. Just to broaden your horizon a bit, 3 gallon pots aren't a deal breaker for flowering. Myself and @Soil2Coco are doing a double feed method in 3 gallon pots in coco. The point is you don't necessarily have to go up to 5 or 10 or 15 gallon pots to get results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thats cool. I may top my first grow and try scrog on my second. I notice with some of the scrog readings I’ve been thru, people plant the seed directly in their final pot and work on their scrog.

Another question- What are some of your guys’ scrog setups for runoff water? Do you have your pots raised an inch or so off the ground with runoff trays underneath so you can remove them between waters?

6. you have someone giving you pot size recommendations based on soil, and another giving advice on coco (passive hydro)... i guess it's a good time to ask what grow medium you will be going with?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oh my, what a goofball; i had thought i put that in!

Soil grow foxfarm ocean

8. I grew the last year in FFOF.

My suggestion is

solo cup
    1gallon
    7gallon or 10gallon

I prefer the 10 gallon. But you can get away with 7. This allows me enough time in each pot to literally just water only. Occasionally I feed some cal mag. But recently I’ve been adding dolomite and some powdered egg shells to my soils. That way I don’t have to feed synthetic nutes. But either or works.

9. I up pot to the 7 or ten for flower.

10. wow some people go big put its intresting.. i personally grow soil in 5gallon pots with a 4 week veg in the final pots. i do know count my veg until it goes in the large pots.. i have found that during a 4 week veg i have not to large stems ? but in 3 gallon pots i have giant stems after a 4 week veg.. tbh i cnt really say i have had any difference.. but im sure i should be vegging longer. . im going to throw a question to somebody now to get further info

11. hi i was just womdering what your veg times was for ten gallon and would you reccomend longer than 4 weeks in a 5 gallon pot ? as i dont fill im giving them enough time to fully root the soil

12. Only reason I go that big is so I don’t have to add nutes. A little PK boost during week 5-6 of Flower and that’s it.

13. Only reason I go that big is so I don’t have to add nutes. A little PK boost during week 5-6 of Flower and that’s it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 Amadeuszz, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    You can repurpose an old dish rack to keep the pot elevated above a drip tray or kitty litter box or something similar. The elevation also allows airflow under the pot.

15. It depends. Somewhere between 10-12 wks.

16. im in a 4x4. Say i start red solos, then 3gal. And finish in a 5... maybe a 7... using HID so i dont want too high! burn poor ladies and it is my first grow

Grasscity Deals Near You