3D Printing Video. A Must see.

Discussion in 'General' started by Danceswithjuub, Jun 6, 2012.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHnMj6dxj4]National Geographic Known Universe S03E06 Print Tools - YouTube[/ame]

Watch the whole thing. You won't regret it. Very neat new technology.

2. Dat shit cray

3. That is actually amazing!! I wonder the cost of one of those things, plus the powder must cost an arm and a leg to.

4. The only words that can accurately describe what I'm feeling right now is: Science Boner.

5. That's insane lol...

6. It was sick, but that guy's voice is annoying as fuck.

7. All of the comments are correct.

8. Well..

I admit, I had one of those stoney "Whoaaa man, whaaat theeee fuuuuuck" moments.

9. Old news man, you can buy these for your house now. They aren't as good as the one in the video, but still.

10. A few years from now this can change everything.

11. While it is very cool, it's not going to be revolutionary or anything.

I don't think the material is super durable and it's best used for prototypes and models rather than final products.

ZPrinter 850

ZPrinter® 850

Industrial-Strength, Large Build Volume, Highest Throughput
    Features
    Color: 390,000 colors (5 print heads, including black)
    Resolution: 600 x 540 dpi
    Minimum Feature Size: 0.004 inches (0.1 mm)
    Automation: Full (automated setup and self monitoring / automated powder loading / automated powder recycling and removal / snap-in binder cartridges / intuitive control panel)
    Vertical Build Speed: .2 - .6 inch/hour (5 - 15 mm/hour); speed increases with volume of prototypes
    Build Size: 20 x 15 x 9 inches (508 x 381 x 229 mm)
    Material Options: High Performance Composite
    Layer Thickness: 0.0035 - 0.004 inches (0.089 - 0.102 mm)
    Number of Jets: 1520
    Specifications
    File Formats for Printing: STL, VRML, PLY, FBX, 3DS, ZPR
    Equipment Dimensions: 47 x 46 x 68 inches (119 x 116 x 162 cm)
    Equipment Weight: 800 lbs (363 kg)
    Power Requirements: 100 - 240V, 15-7.5A
    Workstation Compatibility: Windows® 7, Windows Vista® Business/Ultimate
    Regulatory Compliance: CE, CSA
    Special Facility Requirements: Shop Air

[​IMG]

12. Holy shit that's so cool

13. If I knew how to post gifs I would post the one of the guys head exploding

14. Maybe not this particular product, but it's definitely going to revolutionary. You can already download plans used by 3d printers on certain pirate-themed file-sharing sites.

The material isn't as durable as most metals, but it's certainly a strong plastic. The printing material used and the technology that uses it are in their infancy, and it will only get better.

This will be the technology that leads to molecular, and eventually, atomic level construction.

15. I wonder how long it would take a 3d printer to replicate itself :eek:

16. We had one of those at my school for process technology.

17. Can you wet it tho? Since its powder

18. Yes, because it isn't actually a powder.
    It is a composite material in a powder form that they add a "binder" too making it a solid object made of a composite material. There is no powder after the binder is added. You blow the excess powder off of the object.

Water would simply run off the object.

19. My buddy is actually working on making one of these currently! He's a genius lol makes all kinda crazy shit