3D modeling software

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by mr_renniks, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hey blades
    Can anyone recommend a good modeling program. I need to model scientific glass apparatus and it's function..
    I really want something that has the ability to test fluid and air dynamics within the model.

Effectively, designing a water pipe with new percolation and testing it's functionality before actually prototyping it.

I've tried google searching for a few hours but don't think I'm asking google the right questions.

Any help will be massively appreciated.

2. Not that I use these things first hand but, look at Autocad (for pro level stuff), or maybe try Google SketchUp.

3. Try using blender. It 3d rendering software and open-source as far as i can tell.
    You could also try 3dsmax or maya, but they arent free.

4. AFAIK you are looking for multiple applications.

One, such as AutoCAD, to design the piece.

Then, you need another program (fuck if I know what) that can use the CAD drawing to test fluid dynamics.

Personally I think computerized estimations of fluid dynamics are ridiculous overkill for your purpose. You will find that it's easy to create a crazy piece in AutoCAD and perform calculations, but much more difficult when you try to turn it into a prototype. Here was my attempt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Feanor is correct Autocad would work best for this, but it does sound like overkill.

6. Autodesk Maya has a great fluid dynamics plug in but the program is over $4,000, definitely not worth it for what you are doing. Feanor is right, once again :cool:

7. I'd use blender, you can simulate fluids very well and easily. It takes some time to get used to the program, though.