37k Lumens MH vs. 55k Lumens HPS for Veg

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Barahng, Apr 15, 2010.

1. #1 Barahng, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
    So, I have these two bulbs. High Tech Garden Supply and High Tech Garden Supply. The first reason I'm wondering which is better for vegetative growth is the lumen discrepancy, is this a typical lumen difference when comparing MH or HPS?

The second is that apparently my HPS bulb has "30% more blue spectrum" compared to a standard HPS. So, I can't really decide which would be better for optimal growth. I know the usual MH>HPS rule applies, but I assumed that was at equal lumen output.

2. Plants don't need as many lumens to veg but with less lumens comes less penetration. It's more of what spectrum plants are getting in the early stages.

However, that HPS lamp is awesome. If it's the type I think it is, it has a mini MH lamp inside and that'll cover your spectrum needs.

3. It isn't double arced tubed if that's what you mean. I've heard that if you can choose between and HPS and a MH for overall plant growth (both stages) that the HPS is far superior, and I'm assuming that's because it increases growth in veg much more so than the MH increases growth in flower.

4. You are correct sir.

5. I would still like a definitive answer to the first question though. :(

6. #6 colafarmer, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
    Always been the practice to use blue(MH)spectrum for veg and red(HPS)spectrum for flowering! Some use MH for both, but the HPS will induce flowering faster as the plant notices a change of season

7. Yes. I don't know any MH lamps that put out as many lumens as a HPS of equal wattage.

8. Alright thanks, that clears things up.

9. Did you even read the first post? I assumed that MH>HPS at equal lumen output. Instead of just blindly following the MH>HPS rule, I asked to make sure I wasn't affecting my yield.

10. Since you have the advanced spectrum HPS bulb, use it....it provides like you stated 30% more blue spectrum than an average HPS....plus it has much more lumen output.