300w hps vs 100w led (everything vs everything)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by growmymeds, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Ok so this is going to be my thread to follow my many this vs that experiments. First off, my current setup consists of 2 small boxes 20" x 30" x 43&48". The taller box (48") has an Advanced LED DS100. This is a 100w 11spectrum lamp with 50 leds, 3 watt diodes underdriven. The shorter box has 2 hps lamps, 150w per lamp, each with custom hoods. Both boxes use 50 cfm bathroom fans and small desk fans for heat control. Each box is also a rockwool vs dwc experiment. One rockwool vs one dwc. So how about some pics?

• Like Like x 1
  2. First the led box. Both Hindu Kush at day 26 of flower.

ForumRunner_20120308_223725.png

ForumRunner_20120308_223817.png

Next the hps, also both Hindu Kush. These are at day 43 of flower.

ForumRunner_20120308_224258.png

ForumRunner_20120308_224343.png

And the clones and mothers. There's the Hindu Kush and three other strains I have yet to try. Dinafem Blue Widow, DNA Genetics Sour Cream, and a bagseed from some J1 that I'm calling J2.

ForumRunner_20120308_224736.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is incredible. That HPS cab is so full haha sheesh. Have you done this before testing with both light setups or first time?

4. great man, love LED vs HPS comparisons.

I dont think the 100W will compare to the 300w HPS though but i wouldnt expect it to.
    As long as 300W LED could do the same as 300w HPS it is decent enough to show LED will be the future

5. What is your screen made of?

6. Well my screen is 2 inch chicken wire, seems to work good. I wasn't really expecting the led to keep up with the hps. Originally I got the led to try and replace a 150w while keeping temps down, but not being one to just let a light sit around I decided to put both of my hps in one box. This round of plants is somewhat unfair because I got the led about a week into flower on the box it is in, so the hps box had only 150w for around 3 weeks before it got both lights. I have been surprised so far by the led. It seems to be doing better than a 150 and just might keep up with the 300.

7. Looks good Grow, I love science experiments, facts come curiousity and experimentation.
    Hope everything grown, is grown simularly with the only difference in the lights.
    I have been curious on side by side, but favor HID's.
    SG

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Try to keep these as close to the same as I can, but figure any difference will show itself after a few cycles. I am a big fan of trying new techniques to increase my yield, but want to know if there is really any change.

9. Very cool,you can't beat a box full of buds.!

10. Yeah man. Box-o-Bud. I have a window on my hps box so I can just hang out and watch them.

11. do u blast fan's high speed how do u guys get plants sitting on each other like that without leaves sweating on each other my room is 73 degrees with 41 % hu and if my plant's so much as touch for a day they go damp between leave's i blast fans on plant's but to a degree can't u over do it with fan's? i mean that is seriously a BOX O BUD'S every square inch my god i thought i was working in tight quarters nice set up man

12. and ur running 2 different medium style's doctor g med's with the BIG BOX O BUD'S i have so much to learn

13. Lastly how many plant's are in there 20?

14. No massive fans, just a 50 cfm bathroom fan at the top with intake in the bottom. The intake size is important, mine is the size of the original bathroom fan grill. Have a small desk fan too, 6 inch. I think it helps that I'm in Nevada so its usually really low humidity in my room. Only 2 plants in there. One dwc and one rockwool. The dwc is on the left.

15. tops all over cool i use a passive intake 12'' my 6 '' exhaust fan does the work
    i just get that transpiring going on where leave's touch i also have a 12'' oscillating fan
    weird i can't b having that come flower time mold then

16. Do you veg with your HPS's?

17. Awesome experiment bro. But shouldn't you have kept the variable of the medium the same?

18. I have a 400W HPS I veg with. I need to buy a MH bulb cuz my ballast is switchable.

19. I veg mostly with cfl, maybe a week of veg under the screen with hps. The medium is a variable, but each box has one dwc and one rockwool. Kinda testing both at once. My biggest variable seems to be my rockwool plants. Some grow great, others kinda slow. Give the same nute's and try to keep runoff ph even. Think its a clone stress variable maybe. Seems to start right at the beginning with some. Maybe i'll start taking more clones and try to even them out more.

20. Ok, how about some more detail. I'll start with my hps grow. I like pics, they tell the whole story.

ForumRunner_20120309_221616.png

That is my rockwool plant for this box. It was topped once and allowed to veg upright until about double screen height. At flower I put them in my box and slowly lower my screen, gently bending until it fits.

ForumRunner_20120309_222323.png

And my hydro for this box.

ForumRunner_20120309_222449.png

As you can see, my dwc isn't quite so d. More swc, only about 4 inches deep. Around 4 gallons, with 2 large cylinder airstones, 1 cheapo bar and 1 bubble disc. As you might also notice, I use loose rockwool, not cubes or slabs. This stuff holds water for a while. No timers or pumps, I hand water this plant about every other day, when its at its peak.