300+ watt CFL, more yield?(pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HomerSativa, Aug 1, 2010.

1. This is my first grow. It's bag seed, 5 68wt 2700ks, 2 27wt 5100ks using Fox Farm Tiger bloom in a mg organic/pirlite mix. She's going into her 7th week of 12/12. I was wondering what sort of yeild I might get. Or really how much bigger will the buds get or will it just slow and start "ripening" or something ?
    [​IMG]
    I'll post a couple more pics in a second.

2. more pix and id take some of the leaves off so it can give light to the bud

3. What do other people think about trimming fan leaves to get more light? I was thinking the fan leaves help "feed" the buds?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do some of y'all think about trimming off some of the tiny bottom buds so the top ones will get bigger/stronger?

4. it wont hurt 2 trimm leaves this late into flowering

5. the bottom should have ben trimmed in the first couple weeks of flower

6. #6 TakeABongToke, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
    also back to the ripening thing i think if you add higher discharged lights it will but idk for sure its only from my experience and does anyone know for sure and how much more light you can add without wasting it because if your using cfls the have a lower discharge than hid (high intestity light also known as mercury vapor high pressure sodium and metal halide) and ive read that the higher wattage light you use can increase thc count because of higher discharge and in one of my grows ive used a 400 watt hps and 2 100 watt hps on the left and right side aimed at buds and on thoose plants it increased thc potency and count an incredabel 5=10 percent and when using cfls put some on the side for better branching and less pop corn buds

7. I would deff. trim the fan leaves on the top buds about halfway down because those leaves are covering up the buds, in some of those pics you cant even see bud because the fan leaves are so big about halfway down the bud

8. don't trim anything, your initial thinking was absolutely correct. if any of the leaves start to die and fall off, Fine...that's normal in late flowering. not only do the fan leaves act as solar panels to absorb light for the whole plant, but they also store sugars which the plant feeds off of. leaving them on tends to produce larger, tastier buds

it's too late really o get more yield by trimming the popcorn bits. your plant has done the most of its plmping up by now. You can do this earlier (before week 3 flower or so) with good results.

9. You can also tuck the leaves around on the plant instead of actually removing them

10. Well that's two for trimming (though one says trim low and the other high) and one no. I think I'll see if I can tuck some until I get more feed back. :smoking:

11. i would say trim a bit but not too much. al;so, get a microscopic lens to look at trichs and u can find out EXACTLy when to harvest

12. I don't trim, either. The buds themselves don't play a part in photosynthesis. Fan leaves do the work, and store nutrients. If I need to, I tuck leaves out of the way.

13. i only trim if i have to. most of the time my leaves get tucked or are bent to where they won't stand back up, but i try not to cut em too much. every time you cut something off you set the plant back. it might be just a day, or it might be a week or even 2.

14. Yea Nick, I have a radio shack microscope. It's a bit hard to use but I have a 30x loupe coming. Right now I'm thinking the trich's are about 25% cloudy and not realy seeing any amber( being color blind doesn't help,lol)
    [​IMG]

15. hay if its not just nuet burn on ur leaves you should trim some of them and alsoo when you take off leaves you divert energy to the top branches which also makes bigger fatter denser buds to the top but i uasualy take off leaves durring veg for healthier branchs with thicker stems and wen there budding and if your gunna do it on the 3 or 4th week you can take the bottom set off and clone thoose the clone would be a fully mature plant ready to produce bud or you can put them into veg with a lil stress if you have the room and lights and a timer you can take the clones and put them on a 12 hour cycle the 1st day then move it to 13 then 14 moving it up 1 hour a day thatll slowly put it into veg with lil to no stressand that way you can have big plants and either clone some branches and when they go into budding theyll be a sise of a lowryder if not back into veg

16. Well Takeatoke, I'll know for my next grow, Master Kush!:D

17. Listen to this man, tucking is the way to go.

18. #18 HomerSativa, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
    The tucking sounded good so I kinda played with it tonight.:smoking::smoking:
    [​IMG]

19. when it comes to cuting or not, your going to get mixed answers. One group says cut, it helps bulk the buds, other says dont cut, it helps bulk up the bud, then you have the thrid group who says FUCK IT.... Its your plant and your smoke you do what you feel is right.

Im with the third group. If I need to trim because the upper canopy is to dense then I will, or if the leaves get too out of control and well can cause a hazard I'll cut off the whole damn branch. Afterall Im the one who has to deal with the final product.

The best choice I can give you is this. Do what you feel is right. If your happy with the way your buds are then dont change anything and maybe on the next grow do your own experiment so you can see with your own eyes what it did to your plants.

For my first grow, I should have 3-6 plants growing. One will be trimmed, one will be left alone and the other will be tucked. the others will be chosen based on what the other three do unless I only have just the 3 plants.

20. Thats a dam nice plant for cfl grow. i yielded 2oz with a 125watt red eco cfl with 3x36watt vertically placed T8 fluros. changeable to red or blue. i just orderd another 125w blue which should yield me a bit more if all on at same time. yours woops mine by size but mine nice tight coated bud. chedk my gallery, cant see close enuf on your pics if yours is tight or what 2-3 oz on that baby easy. keep it up man