30 reasons (root bound) is a myth

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenthumbs21, Jan 26, 2015.

1. If i see someone else say something like this ..\\/..needs to repot or start nutes.....im going to clown them till sundown!!!!
    Just a fyi
    Im done with this thread.

The word rootbound is relative to the skill one has to prevent it and keep the hydraulic conductivity and transpiration process moving.

Attached Files:

2. My veg and flower time are the same as some veg times with an SOG

3. #83 GoldGrower, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015

The best way to prevent it is to use pots of a suitable size. It really is as simple as that

4. Eh.....ill keep it going.....so when a skilled grower tells a new grower to use a big pot....then they have overwater overnute issues. ...which is more productive?

Telling someone its fine in a tiny pot with water....or over watered with big pot?

To be clear this is far past an argument for me as you can see....i do what i do.

***this is opinions, facts, whatever for the new folk that might be stressed***

5. #85 GoldGrower, Jan 28, 2015
    It's not very clear what you are trying to say here but an oversized pot will not cause a nutrient overdose. A pot that is too big can cause problems, and a pot that is too small can cause problems. A suitable sized pot should always be recommended

6. #86 homer simpson, Jan 28, 2015

Stop letting how you water dictate when you need to flower and you can cut 2 weeks off the time in your flowering room.  Your wasting time in there, since all the vegetation is dead.  I don't grow, to throw plant material out, which is exactly what you're doing IMO.

How bout you go on a mission preaching proper watering and feeding practices, and why container size is a factor if you don't educate yourself.  Look at the mistakes you make and correct them, rather than finding ways to cover up for them.  That's what I'd say.

Anywhoo best of luck with your grows, we are all in this together after all.

Edit: Just so you know I don't mix up a kiddie pool of soil.  Making such assumptions really shows you have a perception of organic grows that is a bit of an obtuse view.  I don't lump all bottled nutrient users together.  Many growers who use them are certainly skilled and can grow some amazing grass.  Unfortunately lack of patience and straight up ignorance yield the results you are speaking of.  Funny I bet you have gallons of chemicals, how many kiddie pools of soil will that last you?  Keep an open mind, once you stop, well you're stuck.

7. #87 Buffalo11024, Jan 28, 2015
    im not disagreeing with you at all on the sog method. ive got soil barrels precooked. i do it for personal preference. right now im testing new spaces and new beans.like you said i have the footprint but the sativa leaning plants would not have done well flowering up to 10 weeks in 1 gallons. looking at doing a similar grow even trying 2g. be pulling 15 every 3 weeks; by your numbers as example i should increase the yeild on my footprint a little bit with a faster turn around. never grow a couple usually grow 8 in 3s from clone. 40-45 day veg puts me at or over the two pound mark with mid- high yeilding genetics 63-70day flower.

8. For me... I like to treat my ladies well. 5 gal pots at least. Make them comfortable and they will thank you for it.

It would be interesting to see if there was a way to measure plant stress. Think about fish - if they get stressed too much, they fill up with lactic acid and literally poison themselves. What would happen when a plant actually gets stressed? Would it produce more of some terpines? Or would it slow production of some, or the whole plant? Is there any biological way to test how much stress a plant goes through and how it would affect them?

Herming is one way a plant shows extreme stress... But what about just constantly stressing it at lower levels?

Anyone done a chemical analysis of that stuff? Like analyzed a stressed plants chemical makeup from the bud and one that has not received any intentional stress?

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1353063-mars-1200w-auto-grow-silver-haze-white-lsd.html

9. Another great example....everything i said could be thrown out the window when trying to do a real sativa indoors.....thats double the flower time....ill have to try it if i could find one....i bet the root growth in flower is much longer than a fat little indica.....which is gonna need more space or shorter veg im thinkin.

My pulls come off 1 hps 1k each .....think forgot to add...pretty much the only real sativa i have tested in 2 g pot were crap....they hermed at like week 3....doubt the pot did that

10. #90 greenthumbs21, Jan 28, 2015
    I already said what it takes chemically....kid pool amount of dirt.....funny....i use a real pool amount of dirt.......truck loads dude hahaha

If you think the lower half of the plant is med grade and my crap is just dead crap....then you have never had to sit in a purchase room and turn people away all day because they bring in pop corn crap.

So if i weigh all the said crap like everyone else. ..i get 2 pounds a light.....that .9 per watt in dirt......how is that yield ignorance?

The reason i dont do hydro but believe in the smaller root structure with a larger plant.

I use to work with a lady....set her hydro tent up....ran great....b4 her first harvest she went away and let her power go out without telling me...she then blamed me for letting her plants die in her own house with her own electric problems.

So now i have nightmares when i see an airstone

11. Heres to my haters hahaha.

Probably could have vegged them longer!!!

Day 22 of 12/12....no worries over here

Attached Files:

12. #92 Buffalo11024, Jan 28, 2015
    i find roots continue to grow near 50% of the flower window. the longer the window or greater the stretch the more root growth after flip. never grown a true sativa but the latter has held true for everything i have grown. im sure a shorter veg would make up the difference on a sativa/sat dom.

13. Im still trying to find a good sativa....never happened in my life!!!

Anyone else having this much fun? Hahaha.

I want to go live on a beach in the middle of nowhere with no bills and i have this dream every day.

I always wondered what a bird or dog thought about life with no bills haha

Attached Files:

14. Yeah, facts and opinions are about the same.

15. Wow!

I have a sativa in DWC now, it's been on 12/12 for 1 week. Ill let you know when the roots stop growing. they are currently just starting the 12/12 growth spurt just like the foliage is doing

17. I have two plants in 15 gallon pots its day 14 of flower and roots are starting to show in the drainage holes is this going to be a problem. I don't want to transplant because ill prolly fuck it up. any suggestions.

Roots showing at the drainage holes just means they have reached the bottom of the pot, it gives no indication of how close to rootbound it is.

15 gallons is a huge amount of soil, a plant would have to be crazy big to become rootbound in that 

19. OK thank man, its my first grow and I was unsure just wanted to make sure. A book I have said if roots are coming out its a good indicator of soon to be.
    I have pics under my first grow topic if your interested

Ill go take a look