30 reasons (root bound) is a myth

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenthumbs21, Jan 26, 2015.

1. I don't think root bound is a myth. You're just okay with the results you get from that condition. You know that your plants could be bigger with larger pots, but your method of growing doesn't require that. I just think your title is misleading because root bound does happen and it does stunt growth. 

I don't want to grow 30 plants at a time so I use a larger pot and try to maximize yield off that one plant. It does require more veg time, but I can get larger colas and more colas per plant with training. I've experienced root bound plants doing it my way and fixed it by increasing the pot size. Your grow does look nice though.

2. Every tent i recommend has front and back doors so i only have to go 3 deep.

I have tried and i consult on drip feeds, flood trays, hydro and aero.....and i hate the maintenance and fixing crap.....i like dirt and water bottles of tap water.

3. Im hip to your bigger pot.....explain your repot and veg

4. #24 dekabos, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015

Uh...? I would try and respond but I'm not even sure what this was supposed to mean. I've rocked the SOG indoor in the past but for me it was just a breeding ground for problems. Only reason I posted about a living soil and the greenhouse was your professed love of low maintenance, which I share.

Also, no, not a shadow of a problem with salts or nute issues of any kind since I started building live soil. Not even gonna respond to that dude.

5. if rootbound plants are a myth, could i grow a 10 oz yielder in a 1 gallon pot by vegging in it for 10 weeks?

if they use hard water, they'd get some salts i guess..
    but not near as bad as if they used bottled nutrients when they feed/water their plants. You can literally see the salt build up on the smartpots on some of the grows i see n here.

7. If you dont know what it means i cant help you....i can only charge you for time

Thats wonderful......youre still talking about fn plants in fn outdoors.....pm for better translation

8. I grow mainly sativa but the method goes the same for indica when I grow them, but weeks differ. I start from seedling in 1 qt. planter pots and transfer to my finishing pot when it reaches the right size for me to begin lst. I guess 3 weeks is the average for my transfer. 

Sounds like you're describing those who over water and over feed in large containers.  I'll concede a smaller container is forgiving in those respects to a degree.  On the flip side a small container can dry out very quickly, I imagine you are watering every day.  A new grower could certainly make the mistake of frying plants in this set up.  Sounds as if a review of proper watering and feeding might help more out in the long run.  

I however disagree that a plant in a large container is stressed because it is "constantly looking for new crap in dirt all the time".  You are thinking of this from a hydro perspective.  A properly built soil medium no matter organic or bottled chemical nutrients should suffer from lack of oxygen.  If you grow in soil and think root oxygen is an issue you either are over watering or your mix needs lightening.  Hydroponics require oxygenation in a water saturated medium, soil grows you are trying your best to avoid this kind of environment.  A proper soil mix and and or feeding schedule in a large container is certainly more forgiving than a small container.  Don't believe me, check out the sick plant section.

For reference I'll quickly describe my humble set up so you know where I'm coming from.  I run a small 250w grow.  In this set up I've run as few as 1 in 5 gall and up to 10 in 3/4 gal container.  Best results yield wise have been from 4 plants in 2-3 gall containers.  I do think a rooted clone is perfectly fine in a 1 gallon container as long as it doesn't have any veg time.  I use a smaller container for the sole reason I like variety from a small place.  It works out well for my but I certainly wouldn't suggest it for everyone, nor would I suggest yours for everyone.   

You said you need to flower them at a certain height so you can reach in there to water them.  You should never let something like that dictate when you flower.  Just saying.

Decent topic, but the title is incorrect IMO.  

10. #30 ProGMOII, Jan 26, 2015
    Auggie, if you use a compost you are likely going to get plant or root damaging amounts of salts at some point. You can see it on the top of many growers soils as well as the side of the pots. The salts as you know for bottled nutrients are just used to bind the nutrients for transport to the root zone. Overuse of bottled nutrients is the equivalent of using a soil too hot for the plant. Both ways you are delivering nutrients at unhealthy levels for the plant.

http://www.thesoilguy.com/SG/SaltsInSoil-DirtAndCompost

I get the feeling many on here think you are adding ocean water to the plants when using bottled nutrients.

Ok both good criticism. ....of course not going to grow 3/4 pound in a gallon....but just trying to get the new folk to think gallons of water not gallons of dirt with a tiny plant.....no ferts

12. Wait missed that part.
    .  A properly built soil medium no matter organic or bottled chemical nutrients should suffer from lack of oxygen. 

If built or chemical...if your root system gets more oxygenated water then it gets more oxygen period

13. roots, being an organ, can and will grow until no more room is available and as such will define the size of the other two plant organs, leaves and stems. there is no debate.

14. Yeah, I hate when my plants find shit in the dirt.

15. #35 homer simpson, Jan 26, 2015

That would make a difference in hydro, but once again if you are not over watering in a good soil mix it makes little to no difference. 

I'd go even further to say since you are watering so often in a smaller pot your plants roots are saturated more often than in a larger pot.  I know this because I grow in small pots and they are often root bound at harvest.  

To be clear I only do this because I want to keep them smaller.  

^^^

16. Ok everyone does know the roots stop growing a month b4 harvest right????

17. Ah misinformation....nice!!! HAHA

Guess ill bring some proof to the discussion

The large plant in these bottom photos is 9+ months old

Rootbound plants

I often get questions on how to cure root bound plants. Id like to answer that now
    Here is a rootbound plant [​IMG]

Yes, im holding it upside down and yes, the taproot has inverted due to lack of space. This is why i now am switching to fabric bags exclusively.

You can find all the info you need about trimming rootballs with the info and post below, as well as results of the trim
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1305106-pokes-perpetual-underground-jungle-13-strains.html?p=20731896

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1305106-pokes-perpetual-underground-jungle-13-strains.html?p=21012219

Before and after post
    By the way mine was a foliar feeding. 

Here was before
    [​IMG]

One week later (7 days after neem/silica spray)
    [​IMG]

Coulda been the spray, could been rootbound.

Trimmed the rootball a few weeks later. Now the plant is bushier than the first pic

Taken tonight
    [​IMG]

Link to original post
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1305106-pokes-perpetual-underground-jungle-13-strains.html?p=20994766

18. As you can see, root bound plants have tap roots that invert, as they search for more nutes and soil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

im pointing to the taproot in the pic above.

Eventually these plants, left long enough, will consume ALL the soil, leaving virtually none behind.

~ poke

19. #39 greenthumbs21, Jan 26, 2015
    It is NOT misinformation for the folks with the hundreds of tiny little unhealthy (over watered and over fertilized) sprouts i see.

9 months....ya probably .....i know how to augment a root ball too.

Like said. ..wrong topic words.....but great info for probably 75%.

And just to clarify many who have said i was wrong will not share veg times....ill show you a solo cut or a 2 g pot......from cut to cut 100 day....70 is flower.....theres mine

Yes but I'm not in the habit of checking until they are harvested, ya know?

I have an idea let's have a civil discussion and talk like adults to each other.  That's why I'm here.