3 plants, 2 strains, 1 mutant plant...(and 3 plants from 1 seed)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Beeze, May 27, 2012.

1. #1 Beeze, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
    Hey Blades-

I got something cool for you all.

I popped these 2 Kaboom beans awhile back. One sprouted like normal. The other one spit out 3 plants. Here is a pic

I'll try to get this caught up fairly quickly.;)

Attached Files:

2. #2 Beeze, May 27, 2012
    Details

Strains:
    2 x TGA Subcool Kaboom

1 x DJ Shorts Grape Krush (clone)

I had another Kaboom, but it was a boy.... more on that later

Lighting:
    Total of 4, 90w LEDs-
    2 - 90w Illuminator UFO's from ProsourceWorldwide
    2 - 90w UFO LED's Ebay/Amazon

What they grow in:
    Mix of dirt/perlite/vermiculite
    Plant Warrior 3 gallon buckets

Tent:
    4x4 cheapo
    I have some small CO2 things - Exhale CO2 bag and some of these CO2 pads
    And fans

3. #3 Beeze, May 27, 2012
    A few pictures of them before they grew up

Kaboom 2 and Kaboom 3 are the 2 biggest of the triplet seed. The smallest one didn't make it :(

Kaboom 3 is a freak. She is basically 2 separate plants.... uhm siamese twin plants? (and actually there is a 3rd in there trying to get out, but its not quite as obvious)

More to come...

Attached Files:

4. This is Kaboom 3

In this picture, you can see that the "two plants" are starting to grow apart. The bushy side just grows too fast for stubby to keep up.

Attached Files:

• k31.JPG
      k31.JPG
      File size:
      225.3 KB
      Views:
  5. I thought I'd give a little info about my setup and decisions.

I originally started out running with 1 Prosource(PS from here on out) UFO. I loved it, so I bought another one. I still love them, but at about $300 each, I was encouraged to look at some of the competition.

Awhile after my 2nd PS UFO, I decided to take a shot at a cheaper one. I purchased some ebay special for around $120. One thing I learned is, just about all these LED UFO's (with 1w diodes) are the same, EXCEPT the light spectrum that was put into them. This one I bought doesn't have the prime spectrum for flowering. The reds are more orange, but the blues are perfect. It works like a charm for vegging.

I wasn't ready to give up yet. I bought another one ($115), paying more close attention to the spectrum provided. This one has 630nm red + some other stuff (the red is what I care about). Its good to have the 630nm & 660nm reds but even those aren't quite as red as my PS UFO's. The PS have such a deep red that I would have to guess they are somewhere between 675nm and 700nm.

I was encouraged by that purchase as the reds seem decent enough, but once again, I wasn't done (I needed more lights still). I picked up another cheapo UFO and this one is the king of the cheapies so far - it has 630 & 660.

So right now I have them in a square arrangement (like the number 4 on a die) in the flower tent. My next move is probably 1 more LED for the center (like a number 5 on a die) but I think that one will be a 135w UFO from Lighthouse hydro (3w diodes). This way the higher power LED is hitting all the plants, and I regularly rotate the plants under the lights to give them a mix of all the spectrums.

I love LED's because they are so easy to grow with. They don't generate enough heat to think about, they use hardly any power, and now, if I can get LED's that produce for about $120 each, thats a win in my book.

I have grown with HPS before. I ran a 600w over the winter and it was such a pain. While trying to keep the canopy level, I had to stack my plants on boxes and whatever else I could find. The heat created by the light was not fun, along with all the noise from the bazillion fans I had running. With my small UFO's I can raise and lower each one individually, which I like.

Attached Files:

6. Nice grow man! Like the UFO setup. Was thinking of a similar one for veg eventually. Just using a 600wt at the moment and it does get hot as balls!:)

7. Thanks bro, and I'm glad you stopped in.

LED's are amazing for veg, no doubt about that- but I am thinking for myself, even though they yield less, the amount of work/stress I have to put into the grow is so much less compared to when I grew with HPS. Every 3 days they get water or food and rotated under the lights. That is really all the time I need to give them with LEDs. I didn't have an AC unit when I grew HPS so I was constantly having to mess with fans, opening/closing windows, unzipping the tent in the morning and zipping it up at night. It was pretty terrible.

Also, I notice a better quality from my LED grown buds, and so did those who tried it. I haven't had any of these "fluffy bud" problems with my lights. The buds are of a decent size and good firmness. It burns well and I've had nothing but positive feedback. So its give and take, for sure.

8. One more older picture

This is just about a week before they got put into flower.

Also, a few weeks ago, I pollinated all 3 girls. I really did it big time. I think I'm going to have enough seeds to last me for the rest of my life- I hope they grow good bud :)

I will be getting
    Kaboom (F2)
    Grape Boom (F1)-Kaboom (Male) x Grape Krush (Fem)

Attached Files:

9. So here are the girls- They are all at 47 days. The kabooms are about a 10 week flower, and the Grape Krush is 8-9 week.

First up is Kaboom 2. She's tall and she's starting to fill those buds in nicely.
    Second is Kaboom 3. I had to cage her up because the bushy side was starting to hang down really bad. The single cola side has a massive bud that I cant wait to examine post harvest.
    Last is the Grape Krush. She is potentially a quicker finisher than the Kabooms, she is filling out nicely. I will most likely take her down around the 2nd week of June.

Attached Files:

10. Wow beeze, nice grow. I don't know if it was my lack of experience with soil or what, but I felt like I couldn't feed them enough because the soil stayed wet longer with the led light. how often do you water/feed?

11. Future! Glad you made it over!

This is my current situation:

They are each in a 3 gallon plant warrior pot. I make sure my soil has really good drainage. I think adding vermiculite gives me that little extra edge.

The way I determine things (probably like most) is I water and then I would watch the plants. Early on I actually waited too long a couple times and the plants were drooping (fully recovered now of course). As it stands now, every 3 days I give them something. I just watch my calendar and make sure they have 2 days in between any feeding. The amount I give might be a lot less than what you give... They each get about 1.5L - 2L... doesn't matter if it is food or water. I tend to grow plants of a smaller stature. Kaboom 2 is the biggest plant I've had, and I think she's just over 3 feet from soil to tip. I figure that the bottom buds are the ones that suffer, so I try to minimize the amount of buds too far from the light.

I hope this helps :)

12. It certainly does. Cant wait to see these babies in a week or two when they are fuller :). Any plans for hash? What do the ladies smell like?

13. I might have to make hash if the buds are too seeded or just not premium. The crystal production is going crazy, and the smell isn't too strong-yet.

I've gotten some of the trichs on my fingers when working with them and it is just about as bad as super glue.

Cant wait :hello:

14. Why would they be seeded? Herme or males? Those trichs sound delicious!

15. This is a bud & seed run. I pollinated them with a kaboom male :)

16. @Beeze:
    A twin from a single seed just sprouted in my veg-box, never seen that before - so I searched the internet and found this site and forum.

Result: Most people in this situatiuon removed the little one very early on, but after your pictures I'm going to keep the twin.
    Any drawbacks? Are they same sex always?

BTW: The seed is "Shit" (from Mr.Nice), stored two years.

17. Hey there, OldGrowAddict!

Congrats on twins, and good luck!

Thanks for stopping in and taking a look :)

When I had 3, I very carefully peeled apart the rockwool and put them in their own. The smallest one died fairly quickly, but the other 2 obviously did fine :)

I would try to keep the small one if it looks like it could survive.

As for being the same sex, its a tough call. I think nature has a big part in this, but I've done research that could imply certain conditions (Ph) can have an effect.

I did get different phenotypes from the same seed though. In fact, the mutant has different phenotypes in the same plant!

18. My bad on the repeat. I've always wanted to crossbreed XD. So you are going to plant the new seeds right?

19. I want to move to a new place. I dont have any direct plans right now, but here is what I am looking to do:

Finish this grow.
    Take back my room. (I got ousted when I fired up a 600w HPS)
    Clean everything up. (Its one helluva mess!)
    Depending on the moving situation, start another grow/ or dont... depends.

Yes, my next grow will be my seeds :) I am really anxious to see how the Kaboom crosses with Grape Krush.

20. What's up man haven't been on in a while