3 or 5 Gallon Dilemma

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kidzgot5wagg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. I have 4 plants in 3 gallon plastic pots. They’re about 12”-14” tall but I’m LSTing so they are a little bent over. I don’t see roots coming out from the bottom so I’m guessing they still have room to grow. Should I transplant into 5 gallon Smart Pots before switching to 12/12?

My grow space is 3.5’ x 2’ x 4.5’ give or take a few more inches in height since lights dangle but I can probably move them higher.

I have a Mars Hydro Reflector 96 which is supposedly 96 x 5w but actual draw idk and some no name LED that is supposedly 300w.
    I’m probably going to buy another one of the Mars Hydro same model and take out the no name LED.

To transplant or not? If I do I’ve been told I’d have to give them another week in veg before switching. My worry is that they will grow too big for my space in that extra week and when they stretch for flowering and that if I leave them in 3 gallon pots I will hurt the yield and not maximize my space.

Attached Files:

2. Place them in the 5 gal if you have the room more space for the roots to grow in which means more yeild. Do not switch it to flower right after their going to need a week to deal with the stress of transplanting them.

3. How much vertical space do you have? Judging by those pics ode give them a.few more weeks in veg to fill out

4. Grow space is 3.5’ L x 2’ W x 4.5’ H.

5. How long have they been in those pots?

6. 2 weeks.

I think I’m just going to transplant them to 3 gallon Smart Pots. With my space if I try to use 5 gallon pots with saucers they will barely fit and if they do I cant move the pots around at all. because the saucers are too wide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Best bet right there ;) I like to use months of growth to pot size. So how it works is 1 gallon per month of growth......
    Indica: 4 of 8 wks flower + 2 wk transition + 4 wks veg + 2 wk seedling = 12 wks of root growth
    Sativa: 6 of 12 wks flower + 2wk transition + 2 wks veg + 2 wk seedling = 12 wks of root growth

Of course there are exceptions where one would cut 1/2 the roots off periodically (bonsai), do 12/12 from seed (micro), use smaller (500ml) fabric pots to root prune etc.....I have been watching some pretty cool micro grows :GettingStoned:

8. That’s cool. I’m a noob so I’ve been kind of playing with trial and error and have learned a lot so I can have a more successful second grow and so on.

9. That's the best way to learn as everyone's environment and grow style is a bit different though the gallon per monthof root growth is a great starting point

10. I use 15 gallon totes veg for a month lolly trim wait 2 weeks then flower. Root space is really important next time if they fit I'd get two 20 gallon totes 2 plants for each make sure they fit in your grow space

11. Switched them to 3 gal Smart Pots. Put some Gnat Nix on top soil. Added another Mars-Hydro 96 Reflector LED so now I have two. Made the exhaust vent bigger with bigger fan. Plants looking sad from that transplant.

Attached Files: