2x4 Quantum Board Build w/ Emerson & Far Red (Plus Sporadic Grow Log)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Steakbomb, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Yeah - makes sense if you think about it. It's kinda like we're simulating sunset, right? It's not as though outdoor plants are getting BLASTED with far red when the sun is dropping below the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. True

Now that I’m getting some of my ideas sorted out, I’m going to start looking for a board configuration I like. Your initiator lights run off a stand-alone power adapter, right?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep - one power supply for the pucks, one for the 18s, and one for the 288s. I have a 2-outlet timer that has independent programs on each outlet - 18s and 288s plugged in to one side, pucks on the other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have a question for you - how have you gone about ramping up your lights during early flower. This is my first time under 301B diodes. During veg, I experienced light burn. They are acclimated to the new lighting, but I’m still nervous about light burn. I’ve taken the necessary precautions to keep my light to plant height ratio in the clear for now. The strain I’m growing seems to be fairly resilient, but I am curious to know your thoughts on this. Thanks man!

5. I have used a lux meter in the past, I use my ppfd/spectrum meter now - but the idea is the same.

I would suggest an inexpensive lux meter from amazon (around $20) that can handle 100,000 lux or more. I remember shooting for 20k-40k lux in veg, then ramping to 60k over the first week of bloom schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The last sentence has the answer I was looking for. Thanks bud.

I’m going to grab a dr. Meter for now. That seems like a popular, budget meter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ever compare a real meter to the Android apps? Curious how accurate they are.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. #328 Steakbomb, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    I have... gimme a minute - I'll find the post and link it back to this one
    Here it is
    https://forum.grasscity.com/threads...oradic-grow-log.1528172/page-11#post-24543877

It was not very accurate, but it was consistent. Same goes for cheapo lux meters - the numbers they give have a margin of error, but they operate consistently in that margin. So long as you have some data that is being collected in a consistent way, you can understand it and act on it.

That said, that app also caps out at reading ~30k lux - the sensors in your phone aren't meant for the intensity of light we use growing...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Another trim today - and moved all the plants one space to the right / right plant to the left bucket - making sure light gets to all the tips. Waiting for this first round of pistils to start going orange soon...
    Before
    20190409_184539.jpg 20190409_184548.jpg
    After
    20190409_193831.jpg 20190409_193845.jpg
    They always look a little sad right after a trim, but they'll be looking pretty perky again tomorrow I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. They look perfect !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. How are you plants looking after now?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Looked good this morning - a hint of orange on a few pistils...
    20190411_105257.jpg Didn't take the usual macro-level pictures before I had to leave for work today and didn't get back til after lights out. I'll update tomorrow!

• Like Like x 2
  13. What camera/lens do you use? Looks like a pretty fast, and sharp combo. I could be fooled these days with how good the artificial bokeh is getting, especially viewed on a mobile device

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just take the pics with my phone, but I set the camera to "pro" mode so I can change the light temp to 3000k to match my lights and get a clear pic.

15. No major, dramatic changes - just slowly getting bigger...
    20190412_075613.jpg 20190412_075627.jpg Little closer shot of the plant on the right
    20190412_075643.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Well, looks good either way ha! I hardly ever lug my bigger gear around these days. my phone has gotten to the point that it’s good enough for most occasions. The best camera is the one you have with you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The fatness continues. One thing about the longer day cycles (13.5hrs) seems to be the pistils take longer to start really going orange. I'm gonna ramp my daylight down by 30mins this week - and maybe again for the next couple weeks to get to a 12hr light window. I'm all for getting the extra photosynthesis and size, but I do need these to be done by early June...
    20190415_105835.jpg 20190415_105844.jpg 20190415_105855.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Are these strains that you’ve previously grown?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yep - all 3 are Liberty Haze. Grew it once before.

20. Thats good you have a direct grow to compare the light cycles. Are you going to give this a try again if time permits?

• Like Like x 1