2x2x4 setup advice please

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Catsoncannabis, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Hi , I'm planning on purchasing a grow box in the future . I have a few peices I've picked out , I think they will all be acceptable. I'd like to get some other opinions however .

I'm thinking of using a bloomgrow 2x2x4 foot tent , with a growneer 300w led full spectrum . For exhaust I think a 4" 190 cfm inline should be good , it comes with a carbon filter . I know the fan would totally replace the air in that size tent easily, but would it be enough to go through the carbon filter ? For the little bits like timers, ducting ,etc I will buy at local hardware store .

I will attach links to the products I'm thinking of using . They are all off of amazon , got a tight budget and most places I've looked into are expensive. If you have any idea of a place to get a kit or parts please let me know. I'm looking to spend 400 maximum. Thank you if you provide any feedback. Have a good day . Can't figure out how to attach links that bring you directly to the site , best I can do lol .

Light

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0784NX1D2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3NP2ORRCG15VI&psc=1

Tent

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B074H5DKPY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=A1KTKW39RZBQC6&psc=1

Fan and filter combo

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07FF99DP9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1CG1IRZVWOSA6&psc=1

2. If you want to do it right and have a good light that will grow awesome cannabis, don’t buy that light. You need to look at quantum board LED lights. www.horticulturelightinggroup.com

Look at the QB-96

Why a 2x2? That’s super small. Unless you are good at training plants to be short and wide, get something taller. I promise you’ll want more space. If you are hurting for space, look at the 20” x 32” tents.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Agreed. My plants love the QB's. They have a 1000W HPS boosting them so it's a little hard to say how they'd do just by themselves but they are great lights. I had a shitty experience with my purchase, but it has since been graciously sorted out by HLG and I now have an extra HLG 100 at no cost, with a little help from an electronic tech friend. 3 for the price of 2.

I plan on supplementing them with DIY cob lighting once I price it out so I can put my 1000W to the side come spring/summer.

Yeah, @Catsoncannabis if you are going with the 4 footer that seems short. Better to have the head space and not need it than need it and not have it. If you have the space to fit a taller tent, I would suggest going with it.
    Even if you keep your plants short, it's not much head room to work with.
    I would feel cramped in that. But if you can work with it, cool.

4. I'll look into that light you mentioned . Otherwise is the fan and filter functional for a 2x2x4. I'm not looking for anything large right now as i only have one small room of available space that is not shared with others . Right now I have a plant in flowering in a pc box . Lots of training , so I have some experience there and don't mind doing it with this new box . I only want to grow 2-3 plants so I don't need anything bigger , would rather not overdo it until I have more experience and space .

5. Here’s a perfect light for a 2x2. Mine got delivered today but I’m still in the hospital. Can’t wait to throw it in my 2x4 against another kind of light maybe Hortibloom and do one plant under each for comparison

4 COB LED square light

6. Well a plant that is a foot or two tall is fine for me , as I would have it spiralling up in a way . For instance my plant I'm doing in a pc box would be about a foot tall if I let it be straight up . But with lst , the only thing sticking out over 3" of the pot is the colas . I could do a foot taller of a box but then I'd have to put it in my closet , which wouldn't be the best for ventilation. I was going to have it in a specific spot that would be under some shelves so one side of it would be covered and one side would have enough room for exhaust to come out , that is if it was a 4 foot box it will fit there .

7. That cob light Looks tight , unfortunately it's pretty pricey for myself .

8. You’re going to spend that on a ready made light or you can save some by diy a cob or qb setup for a couple bucks less. The light is where you want to spend as that dictates most of your success.

Now I’m testing this light when i get out of the hospital so I won’t say it’s the best thing out there until I witness it but I know my LEDs and the cobs used are top bin cree 3590’s with lenses for penetration

You could do two of these too but it’s about the same price.

Horticulture Lighting Group 100 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit V2

9. Looks like I'll be doing some more research on the lights , and spending a few more bucks . Which is fine I suppose , just gonna wait a bit longer to save a bit more . Thanks all for the recommendation for the lights , looks like some great options . I'm thinking maybe one of the mars hydro ones , not sure , more research to do . Anyways back to the fan/filter , what do you all think of that ?

10. I run the HLG 135 v2 in my 2x2 it’s great

$190 on HLG website

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I think the mars hydro sp-150 would work well , should cover a 2x2 and from their hanging recommendations I could still get some decent plants from a 4' box I think . I like how it is just one light with both flower and bloom switches, and no noise they say . Anybody have any ideas on low noise fans , I think I should only need a fan with like 150-200 cfm to push thru a small filter and rotate air enough . Not entirely sure though .

12. I’d get a taller tent to avoid light burn at least 5 ft in my opinion.

13. Yea I'm considering it . Just all depends where I want to put it for my height limit

14. Training will be a good solution LST will help u get multiple tops without stalling ur veg time

15. Yea I'm experienced in lst . I'm growing in a pc box rn so I kind of have to be . For myself upgrading to a 2x2x4 would feel pretty roomy because I'm used to making it work in a pc box . I'm not frustrated with training the plant , it's just that the diy pc grow box I made is not the best . When I build things they tend to be sketchy lol. So I think I'd rather spend the money that I was trying to save by diy and enjoy a better grow , without the frustrations of fixing and working on the box all the time .

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. im actually now thinking of a tent from mars hydro aswell , 28x28x63 inches , so a bit bigger but stI'll smallish . Cheaper and looks like better quality , metal poles, etc. Plus it qualifies for free shipping which my other did not lol . And I was also thinking for fans I'd use a vivosun 4 inch inline fan 203 and filter kit . Do you think I could run it at half speed , keep it quiet and still ventilate the box properly?

17. The SP-150 is the rectangular white light diode style. The Mars Pro II 160 is the the colored light with veg and bloom switches, but is covers a 3x3

18. Yea

19. That Vivosun 4 inch kit will likely be ok... I got an Apollo Horticulture 4 inch 190 CFM which looks identical to the Vivosun kit I'm pretty confident they'll run in the same fashion. My Apollo's speed controller has it's sweet spots if you know what I mean.. Some spots you can hear the fan so I dial it in a bit and find the sweet spot and it hums quietly. You don't need it pumping on this kind of a tent so we can get away with keeping it at a lower/more quiet speed. The carbon filter it comes with will be fine. You get the ducting with the kit anyways which is a plus so just run with that.