2nd outdoor grow baby....

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by phyer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. #1 phyer, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
    Whats good blades, welcome to my 2nd grow. Gettin my plants to flowering would be a step up from last year when they died in my closet from lack of ventilation. Still a rook when it comes to this stuff so help from more experienced blades would be very much appreciated. Seeds are a non feminized outdoor mix from attitude. Forget which strains exactly but I remember they are some classics (skunk, northern lights etc.)

Started plants outside in 5 gallon buckets. Soil mix is an assortment composed of....

50% organic soil
    15% perlite
    15% guano
    15% vermiculite
    5% dolomite lime

They are now ~ 3 weeks old so nutes yet. Here are the girls. They got a little bit overwatered 2 days ago which is why they are not as green as normal. Also a bit of leaf curl on one of them which I hope is for overwatering.

Attached Files:

2. Looks good.. What are blades????

3. Blades of grass..were on "grasscity", were all blades here :D

Lookin good here, im subbed

4. Ok thanks.. But i am more of a STOCK kind of guy

5. Theyre looking nice n healthy. Ill be checkin in on this along the way for sure

6. Thanks all :D

Does it look ready to be fimmed? Nice sunny weather ahead, I'll keep updating with pics of the hopefully steady growth. :smoke:

7. Hard to tell how many nodes there are. The earliest I have fimmed is after the third node. Sometimes I wait till like 4-5 nodes. All depends.

8. Hey, what does everyone use to monitor pH? Any specific brands? Im looking on ebay right now...

Also went to the garden store today and got 2 bags of bat guano 2/4/3, a BIG bag of perlite, bone meal and neem. Gonna transplant them into smart pots in a few weeks. Has anyone had any experience with these?

9. good looks on the help everyone.:D Heres an update

Something is eating one of my plants. I saw 2 little grey ball shaped spider like things on the plant that were leaving a white web substance behind. Going to spray all of them down with neem tomorrow hopefully that helps. Just fimmed 1 of them and started feeding nutes today. The plants love the sunny weather almost as much as I do. :smoke:

Attached Files:

10. Mistake on not getting feminized seeds. Also, party fowl on not remember which strains are which. You'll regret that once you actually have some smoke you'll want to know what your smoking lol.

Looking good but the plants definitely need more light they are stretching a lot and looks to me like they only get 4-6 hours of direct sun light per day. Try to increase that to around 8-10 and you'll notice they'll bush out a lot more.

The reason your plants are looking a little yellowish green is because your soil lacks the solid nitrogen needed for a plant to grow in the vegetative state. You have some decent soil amendments but you missed the biggest part, worm castings :) Good ol' worm poo is the bringer of all life. Now, you're not fucked and could simply go buy an organic liquid nitrogen source...however if you like doing things yourself. Buy an airstone and a bag of worm castings and you can make a compost tea that your plants will absolutely love.

Also may I suggest picking up some Mycorrhizae, it will really help your root growth. More roots = bigger plants and more bud.

11. I used them that year until I switched to GeoPots. Geopots are doubled stitched and seem a bit stronger. I use them for my indoor. What size are you going to. I recommend at least 10 up to 20 at minimum.

12. #13 phyer, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
    I ordered 4 25 gallon pots off ebay yesterday. After looking I'll probably go with the geopots next year though. Better quality for sure.

Yea, I'm def going femmed seeds next year. this grow was more of a practice run to learn the basics. I spent a shitton ($80) on seeds last year only to have them die in my closet from lack of ventilation, so I was a bit hesitant throwing out lots of bills. Also, I forgot that I did actually put in worm castings. It was a really small bag though spread out through the 4 plants though probably not enough. I'll look for the mycorrhizae when I go pick up more worm castings for the transplant. Thanks for the tip brotha. :smoke:

13. Aight so the pest thing is spreading and now on 2 of the 4 plants. :( Good news is I saw the little bastards that are doing it so I can start to wipe em out. I am having trouble identifying it so a bit of help would be amazing. + rep for help.

They are small (1/10 of an inch) and look like a little blob of cotton with legs sticking out. I honestly didnt know it was a bug until it jumped away. I was thinking mealy worm but I dont know if they can jump. There also was a bunch of cotton like substance on the stalk that was not the bug so I'm thinking eggs... They have pretty much killed one of my plants and are working on the next. I sprayed down with neem oil 2 days in a row now so hopefully that helps.

Heres some pics. Really couldnt get a pic of the bug but the last one is my attempt. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. Those are the lovely mealy bugs forsure man. Ive had issues with them this year and in previous seasons. They are more of a mess than anything since they leave that mold like residue wherever they go. They are really pesky and neem didn't do the trick for me with them. I would get some BT or sevin dust and try that while they are still vegging. Good luck

15. Alright time for an update...

Bugs are gone after a combination of neem and pytherin but have been replaced by a new problem. Seems to be some kind of burn or deficiency on a few leaves. Last 2 pictures show it, any help would be sweet.

In other news...

I picked up a bunch of stuff including 4 25 gal smart pots, diatomaceous earth, and a hanna Ph moniter. Quite pricy but I figure I will get my use out of it in the next few years. My Ph turned out to be 5.5 for the soil and 7.3 for the water. Anyone know if they will equal out or should I grab some ph up for the soil?

Heres some pics...

Attached Files:

16. Might be from the neem in the hot sun

17. #18 phyer, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    I've got 4 25 gal smartpots now but not too sure if its worth it to spend money on soil to transfer. I also dont want to stress them out and have them turn out male. Will it really make a difference? They are still in ~5 gal pots at the moment.

Some nice growth this week even with the heat. I'll update with pics tomorrow or the next day.

18. There is not much veg time left when flowering they do not root as much so it is kinda a gamble but you will not have to water as much

19. Heres an update. They are growing up, litterally. :D Solid vertical growth- they are now ~3 feet. I think they are around a month and a half old at this point but I kinda lost track. Still have only fed nutes once and it resulted in nuteburn as shown on one of the fan leaves. Ima just let the guano and EWC carry them for now. 3 out of the 4 are showing sex and they are ALL FEMALE :yay::D

I transplanted one into a 25 gal smart pot and it got shocked pretty bad. It was already really droopy before too so I don't know if its gonna make it. Still a nice green but the top is slumped to the point where its making a 90 degree angle.

Attached Files: