2nd Hydro Grow with HPS and CFLs

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by burn1down, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Hey everyone,

After the success of my first grow, I've come to realize that there is nothing better than homegrown. I learned a lot through my first journal and without the help of people on this site, the grow wouldn't have been successful.

I've made some changes to the grow area that I hope will help. First I'll explain everything I've changed and then talk about issues I have.

Criticism wanted!!

- First off I will not be using the LEDs anymore. I did some research and found that LEDs are still a new technology and need it few more years until they are more powerful. Also, the cost of LEDs are outrageous and with no source of constant income its difficult to collect funding for them.

- For the first grow there was virtually no mylar, so I spent some time covering every inch of wall space in the grow area.

- The inline fan and the carbon filter used to be resting on a shelf above the grow area, but now they both are hanging at the top of the grow area. The fan and filter are hanging by some light rope from a local hardware store.

- I bought a bigger air pump and switched from the 4 plant site 3-gallon bucket to two 5-gallon buckets. The buckets came with a drip system that I used for the first 2 days, but I didn't like the rate of drips (it wasn't keeping the rockwool hydrated). So I went back to DWC.

- Each bucket has two 6-inch air stones, which are powered by a dual output air pump.

Issues
    1. The first main issue is heat. The closet door cannot be closed because if it is for more than 5 minutes, the temperarture reaches 88+. The heat builds up because the inline fan and the can filter are now in the grow area. Whereas before it wasn't. I have to keep the fan and the filter in the grow area because I had to seal the grow area off from the rest of the closet. There is a desk fan on the floor that is blowing fresh air in. I need a way to get the hot air out and keep the closet door closed.

2. What is the easiest way to flush 5-gallon buckets? It was such a hassel to flush the 3-gallon tub from last grow, so I need an easy way.

3. This really isn't an issue, but I want to LST the plants. I only know some minor details about it. Hopefully I will have some time soon to learn, but I was curious as to what everyone uses to LST?

As for the plants, I had to use the Aurora B. seeds again because I was not able to get my hands on new seeds.
    - There are 2 plants
    - Both are 9 days old
    - pH= 5.5 in both buckets
    - ppm= 350 in both buckets

The nutrients for vegetation:
    - FloraNova Grow

The nutrients for flowering:
    - FloraNova Bloom
    - I am also thinking about getting Fox Farm Big Bloom

- I have clearex that I will use with every couple of res changes.

Here are pictures of the grow area:

Attached Files:

2. Ok so my introduction to my second grow didn't go as well as I planned. Whatever I will keep posting for people who are interested to help me out. This morning I woke up to see the left plant explode in size. The leaves and overall size of the plant noticeably increased overnight!! The right plant isn't growing as fast as the left plant because it's roots just reached the water level, where as the left plant already has its roots branched out in the water. There was and still is brown areas on the plant, but I think that was due to a pH level that was a little too high and a ppm level that was around 450. I lowered the ppm level to 300-350 and the pH was set to 5.5. I also moved the HPS up to 12 inches away from the tops of the buckets because the plants were growing towards eachother rather than growing up.

I have a few questions that go along with a few issues.
    1. I want to LST and I haven't had much time to read up on the process because of so much school work. I was wondering if someone could save me the time and kind of walk me through the process....that would be amazing.
    2. Are these plants big enough for LST yet? If not when will I know?
    3. Also, these plants aren't from feminized seeds, so is it possible to force them into flowering to see the sex and then switch back to vegetation? If it isn't possible, What would be a way I can check the sex without having to waste a month to see the sex?

Here are a few pictures from today:
    Let me know what you all think

Day 15 of Vegetation

Attached Files:

3. Nice grow you have going and I get a front row seat, nice. :hello:

The only way to bring the heat down is to exhaust out of the closet which means a hole somewhere or get a portable air conditioner but there expensive and big. Here's a good way you could vent, looks like its exactly what you need.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...mple-concept-stealth-exhaust-intake-door.html

What size HPS do you have? You may need to cool it as well, I see you have a vent on the reflector.

It can be a pain to empty and fill the pales, I have the same thing. I use a small pump which makes it a bit quicker, takes 15 minutes a pale. Using gravity your bucket will have to be higher then your drain pale.

Sorry can't offer any help on LSTing.

Where did you get info on feeding? I use the same brand but whats known as the Lucas formula. It doesn't use Flora Grow, it uses Flora Micro and Flora Bloom. Here's a link to the formula if you want to check it out. Your PH and PPM levels sound good.

IMO its not a good thing to start flowering and go back to vegging, does that ever happen in nature? It has to have some kind of effect on the plant, plus it will definitely stun growth for a while as it tries to figure out whats going on. I don't think you'll need to veg for another month anyways, those babies are going to take off now as you noticed one has already. Once you switch to flowering the plant has only grown 1/3 its height so you don't want to veg for too long. If you keep a good environment for them you should see more females, 80 degrees or higher is not a good environment, the 73 in your pic is good.

Good luck on the rest of your grow, looks like your going to do well, nice pics keep them coming. :smoking:

4. NIce setup dude! I'll be watching.

5. Hey elven357 and RobsGreen, glad to have you both aboard! Thanks for all the great info RobsGreen! Your idea of a way to bring the heat down in the closet is perfect for my setup, but I cant make any holes in the closet door. I kept the link you gave me because I will definitely use the idea in the future.

The HPS is 150watts. My first grow I had the inline fan and carbon filter attached to the hps. The reason it isn't attached now is because the air duct doesnt extend far enough, so I have to wait till I raise the hps.
    I might end up keeping it the way it is and connect an air duct with a pc fan to the hps and have it blow the hot air out of the closet.

Do you think a pc fan will be able to keep the hps cool?

I still haven't thought of an easier way to change the res. I'll probably just go out and buy a pump and take your advice. What do you use to mix the nutrients in (like a big rubbermaid tub?)?

I have seen the lucas method, but I never really understood it. I can't use the FloraNova grow and bloom with the lucas method right? I was looking on general hydropnic's website and found this:
    http://www.genhydro.com/genhydro_US/feeding_charts/GH_KeepItSimple_Recirculating.pdf

My only conern is that there are only 2 plants, which makes my odds of them being males very high. I wish there was a way to not waste a month of vegging then find out that they are all males (knock on wood).

Ill have some new pics posted in the next 48 hours

6. Yeah thats a neat way to vent to bad you couldn't use it now. I guess you'll have to play to see what will work, if you have a PC fan its worth trying it on the light but I wouldn't spend to much on one if you have to buy it, they don't blow that much air in my experience.

I use a 5g pal to change the nutes. I fill it with 3.5g add the stuff and pump it into the bucket, I have to do that twice as I have 2 plants, the worse part of it all is waiting for the RO water.

The Lucas formula is super easy but looking at the method your using its not much different. I don't think the nova series works with the Lucas formula, that chart shows there clearly different, I didn't even know there was two kinds. I'm sure they will be fed well with the grow, I just noticed you mentioned only one for each stage of growth when my bottle shows to use all but thats because it different. :D

I hear you on being worried about getting males but there's not much you can do. I was worried too but went 2 for 2 and I believe it was because of a good environment, work hard on keeping that and they should come.

Can't wait to see how there doing. :smoke:

7. Hey, with your question regarding lst. I would top or fimm the plants first and then start lsting them to create a more even canopy. If you don't do this you will prob end up with a bunch of shoots coming off the main stem and because of this the main stem will want to grow higher much faster than the others and your lights won't be used as effectively imo.
    The way I lst is by drilling screws along the outside of the bucket and use them as posts for ruberbands I tie around the branches which seems to work well for me. Good luck on the grow!

8. everything is looking great! what size hps are you using

9. sorry for taking so long to get updated pictures...been a little busy. Thanks for the information jspuck25. I tried to lst and fimm; let me know if I did it right or not and what I can do.

I am using a 150watt hps to answer your question irishgeenthumb.

Day 21 of vegetation:

Attached Files:

10. ........

Attached Files:

11. We have buddage :hello:
    looks like heat stress combined with ph burn.
    do them a favor and flush..get some air moving around them...
    Hope it doesnt effect your yeild to much...
    Gluck buddy

12. hell yeah dude, hows it growing :stoned:

nice to see you back in action after the led grow thread, how do you lie the bubble buckets?