2018 Indoor - GG4 x 2, MHM, DOS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by StickyBudHound, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Hey, grow buds, I hope everyone's doing good tonight. I've been interacting with this site for a few weeks now and figured it was time to introduce myself and start a grow journal at the same time.

Hi, I'm Sticky and I'm happy I can officially say, I grow cannabis! :pimp:

I started down a path about 3 months ago that has ultimately led me here, I guess. I'm in Oregon and until recently there was an ok medical mj system going that my wife qualified to use. Wasn't that great of pot, definitely not "medical marijuana" quality but, good enough to help her out and the price was right. They changed the rules recently and made it ridiculous so we ended her green card membership and joined the recreational use revolution here.

A friend of ours randomly asked one day in January if I wanted 2 clones so he didn't have to throw them away; one was a GG4 and the other an unknown auto-flowering Indica strain. Without realizing what we were taking on, lol, we said SURE!! We got room in the basement! Let's do this! To say the least, I've had quite a crash course over the last 3 months in order to fix my first grow plants enough to harvest something worthwhile and to fix the water pH problem which would constantly drift back up again after pH down and after it went into the plants. My city uses way too much buffer and it causes a yoyo effect to happen with your pH.

Long story short, I harvested the Indica about 3 weeks ago and the GG4 this past Saturday. There was quite a learning curve to get to those harvests too. My first grow was a practice run that helped to work out the bugs. I inadvertently did everything wrong. Wrong soil and no thought of any specific mixture otherwise. I over watered and started to see problems almost immediately. Our water pH was way too high but I didn't know because I didn't have any tools whatsoever. I starved them of light with two POS 20W LED grow lights from home depot. There wasn't enough air movement and I didn't have solid control over humidity or heat and also my water as I later found out. I had all kinds of symptoms to figure out and I'm honestly surprised and impressed at how much these plants can take!

Ultimately, I have figured it all out enough to have confidence, at least (I've never known so much about water in my life!) and, I ended up getting about a half oz from the Indica and I'll let you know what dry weight is on the GG4 in the next few weeks but, I'm betting it will be around 2 to 3 oz. We'll see how they smoke in weeks to come as I try my hand at correctly drying and curing them.

So, besides learning everything I could ever possibly need to know about perpetually growing cannabis and the environment it needs for each stage and, the techniques necessary for growing in the size of area I have available, I've also been busy purchasing everything I would need to create that environment and building my grow room around the 2 experimental first grow plants. Today is the first day I have 4 plants in that room and I'm pretty excited about it because they're all healthy and on their way to greatness!

As this journal name suggests, I have 2 Gorilla Glue 4 girls I cloned from the one my friend gave me and, I have 1 Dosidos and 1 Mount Hood Magic I bought from a local shop. I took my GG4 clones at the same time I got the other two. All 3 of these strains are known for being capable of producing 25% to 30% THC and being loved by many. I know the GG4 is from a good home where it has produced some very good results. Gonna have to wait and see on the other two but they're looking real good so-far.

My grow room (12' x 7') is in my basement and my dry room (10' x 6') will be right next to it in a few weeks. Air will pass into and through the grow room from the basement and to the dry room that will be sealed air tight and then out a 6" carbon filter fan back into the basement.

The grow room has four 3' x 3' x 6'6" tall plant pods that I built to house each plant individually. Each pod has two small fans with many places to mount them for effect. Also, each pod has a ViparSpectra PAR450 dimmable LED grow light. For veg they're on 18 off 6 and for flower, 12 off/on. They're never less than 16" from the plants. I use LST to get as many colas as possible per plant. I run my pH 8.5 water through a carbon filter first to remove chlorine and chloramine and then it passes through a RO water filter to remove most everything else and then adds back in calcium and magnesium at about 10 to 30 ppm. Now that it's somewhat broke in, my pH stays at a consistent pH of 7.4 and doesn't keep buffering up as it used to when I would use pH down. My four girls have only been flushed and received two feedings with corrected pH water and they're on their way to recovery. pH is a bitch! I have a four gallon ice chest where I prep the water and let it get as close to room temps as I can but, it usually doesn't get much above 62 - still working on that. Room temp stays a consistent 70 to 74 while lights are on and drops to about 66 to 68 when lights are off. I use two small heaters; one that stays on all the time and the other that turns on with the lights. I have a humidifier that maintains a consistent 50% RH but, is variable down to about 30% to 70%. See the pics I'll post after this long winded explanation.

I just moved these four plants into the room yesterday. I am considering them to be on veg week 3 after spending 4 weeks in clone and the first 2 weeks of veg in a closet waiting their turn in the room. Still getting the rotation timing down. I'll take clones from them next weekend and put them into flower at the end of week 5. Then it's 8 or so weeks until harvest. I've got high hopes for improvements now that I've got things pretty well dialed in.

The nutes I'm using are FoxFarm Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom and, this grow I'm adding Open Sesame, Beastie Blooms & Cha Ching. It should be interesting!

Stay tuned for some pics below!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Looks to me like you have a very nice setup! Wish I had space to scrog that many plants, that's awesome ( :

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hey Sticky! Welcome...
    You jumped right in with both feet! Lol Well Done!
    Nice set-up looks good

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks, WayOfTheRoad420! I've put quite a lot of research and thought into how to do this right and I'm happy with how it's been turning out. I'm finding it's an evolving hobby still but I'm loving it!

5. Hi trailerparkgirle, Lol, yep I've kind of been wanting to do this for like 35 years and finally took the plunge this year, thanks to an old friend who did the same two years ago. I never thought I'd live to see the day I could grow legally in my home. Now I want to see what I can really do with it. There's plenty more to learn, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hay welcome dude
    Looks like a real good setup nice to have some space to move I'm stuck with an 80'80'140 so keeping everything nice and tidy haha
    I'm going to tag along would be nice to see how they come along

I've currently got R.Q.S gorilla and purple queen in I've started a blog on them to so check it out dude it's my second grow so will appreciate any tips and advice on way

• Like Like x 2
  7. Very cool, Mal420uk. Yea, I'm feeling fortunate to have this much space available. I'd love to have 1 foot wider but, like you, it enforces cleanliness! Thanks for tagging along to see how my 2nd grow turns out. Glad to have the company. I'll check out yours and follow the grow. Cheers mate!

• Like Like x 1
  8. It's still growing ATM dude got 2 aotos behind my 2 little ones tent is packed got about 2 weeks until flush so I'm looking forward to them pair tbh this picture was taken about 4 weeks ago. There massive now I can't move my light any further up now but thank God the vertical grow has stopped . So just packing the waigh on now

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey Sticky!
    Better late then never lol
    I'm right beside U, first indoor legal lol grow, I don't know why I waited so long it doesn't take long to lose that overwhelming feeling of things to go bad! I'm just sitting back enjoying the new ride....
    Happy Growing!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Week 3 - Day 4

Watered each of the 4 ladies yesterday on day 3, 1 gallon each, an hour after lights on. Water pH was 7.2 and then 6.3 after nutes.

Nutes added to each plant
    1/2 tsp Open Sesame (1/4 to 1/2 once a week for next two)
    6 tsp Big Bloom
    3 tsp Grow Big

This afternoon, they all seem to be standing taller and bushier. All leaves look healthy and enjoying their new environment. Much better than the closet, I'm sure.

They haven't had any flushes yet so, next watering in a few more days will flush and follow with a half dose of BB and GB.

Good night!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Looks great excited to follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  12. Week 3 - Day 5

My pots are 17.5 gallon. Gives them plenty of room for the roots and lends well to LST training.

I'm prepping four 5 gallon buckets with water from my RO filter for flushing all four plants Saturday. It takes about 40 minutes per bucket... This new filter has been slowly leveling down on its pH level output and is at about 7.6 now, about 1.5 less than it was out of the tap. Ppm are at about 14 and EC is 28. Finally, reliable water!

I'm about 2 and a half weeks away from flipping them to flower. They've been in the room since Saturday. They're going completely crazy with growth now. Big difference from first grow. Nice to see the research starting to pay off. Brings me daily joy!

Each is 12 to 14 inches and almost to the scrogs. Check out the pics below. If it adds them in the order I uploaded, first is MHM, 2nd is DOS, last 2 are both GG4. I was worried about the GG4 plants. Their mother plant was hit pretty hard with whacked water pH and these clones dealt with it for a few weeks too. They're looking so much better now! 20180404_162111.jpg 20180404_162539.jpg 20180404_163124.jpg 20180404_163229.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  13. Week 3 - Day 6

Did a little defoliating today to allow better airflow through each plant and open up the centers to allow more light to the new growth.

I'm eyeballing a few clone candidates per plant. Was planning to take them at the start of Week 4 but, I'm thinking now I should wait one more week to allow middle growth to ensue more.

As for observances, not much to say other than they look even better today.

Going to post more pics but only at the start of each week unless necessary for some reason.

Have a good night GC!

14. Week 4 - Day 2

Flushed on w4d1 as planned. Allowing to dry. Will water and feed again by Wednesday, w4d5 if not sooner.

Today was mostly spent getting the dry room started.

It's a low ceiling and the floor has quite a drop; some hurdles to get over. House is built on top of solid basalt. The cubby at the back will be for clones. Going to also build in a cabinet for curing many jars at a time. I'll post more as it gets further along. 20180408_130210.jpg 20180408_143756.jpg 20180408_171218.jpg 20180408_171306.jpg 20180408_171400.jpg

15. Veg - Week 5 - Day 2

Watered/fed 1 gallon each today with Open Sesame at 1/4 tsp/gal and Grow Big and Big Bloom at 3 tsp/gal.

Also took 3 clones from each strain. The start of my 3rd grow, soon to be made into a grow diary.

All 4 of my plants are looking very healthy and strong. MHM is now 22" with 7" of that being above scrog. DOS and both GG4 are now 18" with up to 1" above scrog.

Next Saturday, I'm flipping these pretty ladies!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'll sub up to this journal. Saw GG4 and had to come by. Just harvested a GG myself, a hard soil learning curve I had to do. LoL your girls are looking great. Blessings!

Sent from my G3312 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Thanks, Pat! I agree, the GG4 is a great strain. I harvested one plant of it on my first grow recently and the dry 2 oz are curing for the next 2 weeks. I tested a bowl last night and, wow it's already tasty and a hell of a couch locker. Gonna be outstanding when cured!

I had quite a learning curve too. By the end of grow 3, I think I'll be far more confident but, so far so good.

18. Flower Week 1 - Day 2

Flipped my girls yesterday. WooHoo, let's get this party started!

MHM (25.5") and DOS (22") are both coming along nicely. GG4 are 19" and 20".

Since last post, a while ago now, I defoliated interior and lower growth and took several clones from each that are all seeming to be doing well. Planning to do 2 of the MHM and 1 of the others next grow.

Watered and fed this morning. My RO filter is finally providing a consistent 7.5 pH. I add just 1 drop of pH down to my 4 gallon reservoir and I'm at 7 to 7.1 and ready to add nutes. My soil has maintained a consistent 6 to 6.5 pH since I began watering from this filter.

Nutes this morning:

3 tsp Big Bloom
    2 tsp Grow Big
    2 tsp Tiger Bloom
    1/4 tsp Open Sesame

Dry room is almost done. Another day or two to get it completed.

Installing my filter and fan today. I'll finally be able to control the addition of fresh air coming into the grow now.

Attached Files:

19. Flower - Week 1 - Day 4

One of the wonderful things about my grow room is I have a low ceiling... I have no more than 4 feet of vertical growth capacity before I can raise the lights any higher. My MHM had less that 3 inches if light raise ability and I'm only on week 1 of flower....

I talked it over with my grow guide (friend who got me going) and he recommended I supercrop every branch now before week 1 is over. I've never done it before and I can definitely say it kind of freaked me out to do it. Only had one branch split a little that I had to tape up but it's done. Looks ok I guess?

15246246760441272259385.jpg

20. I bet you'll be fine mate. They look wonderful and you know they are resilient little biggest! Best of luck and look forward to seeing the results!

• Like Like x 1