2nd Grow... Rubbermaid Hydro Farm

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Retroshark, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Sounds like the smaller plants have more trouble absorbing nutrients so they make bigger root systems. Just a guess, another possibility might be the runts put more energy into root production and will catch up to the others later.

2. its not like they are runts, there is one with only 3 sets, the biggest has maybe 5 or 6. they all have an average of 4-5 sets though. im not worried about any one plant, they are all healthy as i could hope for, no signs of any problems right now. the temps are staying in the low 90's so im gonna do some playing around. it doesnt help that its venting into a well sealed closet, but i imiagine now that its not in the 90's every day, the temps will drop. in fact, i bet in about 2 weeks itll be in the mid 80's in the box.

i was also wondering... or the lucas formula, i dont have to dump the res every time i want to put in more nutes do i? its been about 10 days and i was considering upping the nutes in the tank. i just dont know how to tell if i need to or not, since i dont havea ppm gauge.

3. Oh man... You'll be needing a TDS meter if you don't want to have to dump the res...

The TDS meter is what make the no-change-out strategy possible. I'm sorry for the bad news, but without a TDS meter it's guess work that could cost you the crop if you burned them bad enough.

You'll have to switch the whole thing out every time you add back the total amount of water in your system until you get a meter, that's the way it was done before this method was originated though. Should be fine, just more work :(

4. yaaa, that does kinda suck. ill just get a friend to help me carry the res to a sink or, ill just have to use the same method i used to fill it up... a million fuckin dasani bottles getting filled up in the bathroom and then poured into the tank... one by one.

5. Dude... Say it aint so... Having to fill that tub with bottles of water? That would be a nightmare... :(

You might get lockout issues using tap water too, forgot to add that... Hard water micro is what to use with tap water, it's very rare to have tap water under 200 ppm. Also, you should let the clorine evaporate before using it, so the bottle idea may not be the best for that... Some issues for sure damn...

I'd say it would be very important to at least get a water filter like a Brita if you are going to be using bottles to fill it, that will take care of the chlorine that may damage the plants or cause them to not grow as well as they should.

But it's important to know tap water has too much calcium that will cause phosphous lock out in flower, in veg it's fine though from what I've seen. The problems start in flower, but to be safe just get some hard water micro. That will keep the lockout from happening.

EDIT: I knew I remember reading on this thread about you having money to spend... Where did that 1500 go Shark? ;) A TDS meter would be a Godsend in your situation bro!

6. well, i ran the system with no plants for about 2-3 days before putting them in... so i figured that would be ok. well, the 1500 didnt come. i got jewed out of money from my lender and only got approved for the bare minimum. i may have a few hundo in a week. im about to drop 5 large on a video editing workstation and after that ill see how much i have. but, what is this hard water micro you speak of? some kind of supliment?

so far the plants are good. one has a little brown spotting, so im thinking it may have issues. im very limited on where i can get water. would bottled water be ok? i could spend the money to buy 2 cases of bottled water every 2 weeks, thats not an issue.

oh and one plant has odor! its so cool, i think its this one strain i keep growing, it starts to stink in veg! even though these are abotu a week in flowering, im betting its this weekend or early next week that i see sex. im very excited. the fans are keeping the plants real cool. they seem very happy and its at about 92 or so.

7. You can use bottled water but only reverse osmosis or distilled water will be 0ppm or close to it.

Hard water micro is just replacement micro for when you use tap water- but the problems start in flower not in veg from what I've seen and heard.

8. bottled water it is. tomorrow im gonna buy 4 cases and keep a stock.

9. Don't use Dasani. It's got salt in it. Get the cheap store brand that's just distilled water (check the nutrition label to be sure there's 0 sodium in it).

You can get a 2.5 gallon jug from Walmart for about $1.60, which is also a lot cheaper than designer bottled water (aka Dasani).

Also for draining it, if you get a cheap fountain pump you can run a hose into a five gallon bucket or even directly into the sink/tub. Makes draining your reservoir a lot easier.

10. ok, thanks a lot guys!

11. wow... so the plants have skyrocketed. the one with the smal roots is dying, and im not looking to save it, i think its about unsalvageable as it will ever be. anyway, the 4 others are looking so amazing. i have a feeling 3 of them are females, just by the way they are growing. the stems are very thick, and these are by far the healthiest plants ive ever grown. the temps are now in the high 80's so im not so worried any more. definately nearing the time to switch the reservoir water over. probably gonna do that tonight whil taking care of laundry. anyway, here are the pictures from today, the 2 week mark in this grow...2 WEKKS!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. May your plants become as nice as your setup! (which looks really cool)
    +rep

13. Hi Retroshark

Your setup is amazing , great job.

Can I ask how old your plants are at the time of those last pictures?

I am in the middle of growing one little baby just now under floro and when she is ready to transfer over to the hid i will do that.

Your plants look great.

14. they are 2 weeks exactly.

15. just to reassure myself

how many plants do u have?

and

how many watts total do u have?

16. Wow that's incredible for two weeks!! Mine are the same age (well 3 of them are) and they are nothing like this. You are a credit to GC!! :D

Keep it up man, I'm subscribed.

17. i have 5 plants now, im about to put in 3 more. i have about 7 CFLs, maybe 200-250 watts total? something like that, but not much. i just checked them out,a nd i have a question... my top right plant has all purple stems. gradually, the whole plants stems are turning purple, in fact, today the top part of the plant gained all its color. i know its most likely nothing at all, but is there a chance im gonna have some funky colored buds??? that would be so awesome!

18. Lookin good man, that small one looks like it's recovering from a fert burn; what strength formula are you using? It will come back strong soon if that's the case, don't count her out ;)

19. wow thats amazing after just two weeks.

Here is a pic of mine after 6 days and it is no were near as big as your babys.

[​IMG]

Great job mate cant wait to see how this develops

20. and

Watch out!! I might be a noob but on my first grow during flowering I saw a lot of purple on the leaves...which then went a little brown...I worried, but just watched. I got away with it, but it was definitely fert burn and it severely limited my resulting yield. It might not be what I say, but please keep an eye on your leaves! PPM?